Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

more fun with the phone "key"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes. I tap the brake and the lights come on (like it normally would), but then after buckling and putting my foot back on the brake to put the car in gear, it doesnt work. it then continues to not work until I tap tth card.
It’s sounds like it might be something your phone is doing, rather than the car. Maybe the Bluetooth doesn’t maintain the connection long enough?
I vaguely remember reading about some Android users needing to enable some sort of persistent background connectivity on their Tesla apps.

No. Definitely something with the car.
If you were able to unlock/open your door right away. That means the vehicle was awake to verify the phone is connected to the 4 Bluetooth antennas. That would mean the issue with the vehicle not shifting into another gear.

If you press the brake pedal and see all warning indicators illuminates. This means that the vehicle has started. Your issue OP is shifting gears

Reactions: crackers8199
No. Definitely something with the car.
If you were able to unlock/open your door right away. That means the vehicle was awake to verify the phone is connected to the 4 Bluetooth antennas. That would mean the issue with the vehicle not shifting into another gear.

If you press the brake pedal and see all warning indicators illuminates. This means that the vehicle has started. Your issue OP is shifting gears

that's what i thought too, but tapping the key card allowed me to then put the car in gear...so at some point between opening the door and stepping on the brake to let the car know i was there, it lost the phone key for some reason (no reason at all considering the bluetooth phone connection still worked)...

Android phone key issue FIXED! For background, my S7 worked all the time for 1 month. Then stopped working unless I opened the Tesla app, and opened the door within a few min of that. I’m Android v8.0.0. Fix was in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always Sleeping apps. If Tesla is listed, hold till checked, and select Delete. Since then it’s back to working 100% over several days. Hope others might find this helpful. I probably had done something inadvertent to benefit battery performance and had changed settings that caused the app to sleep.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
that's what i thought too, but tapping the key card allowed me to then put the car in gear...so at some point between opening the door and stepping on the brake to let the car know i was there, it lost the phone key for some reason (no reason at all considering the bluetooth phone connection still worked)...
Maybe try to borrow a different phone to narrow down the problem?

Android phone key issue FIXED! For background, my S7 worked all the time for 1 month. Then stopped working unless I opened the Tesla app, and opened the door within a few min of that. I’m Android v8.0.0. Fix was in Device Maintenance > Battery > Always Sleeping apps. If Tesla is listed, hold till checked, and select Delete. Since then it’s back to working 100% over several days. Hope others might find this helpful. I probably had done something inadvertent to benefit battery performance and had changed settings that caused the app to sleep.

this doesn't work for everyone, like i said in the other thread you posted it in. i have and have had battery optimization turned off for the tesla app and bluetooth the entire time, and it still doesn't work reliably.

Maybe try to borrow a different phone to narrow down the problem?

i'd rather use the card than do that...and to be honest, i shouldn't have to. they advertise the phone as key as being the primary way of entering and driving the car, and it doesn't work. it's not like i have some old garbage phone here, it's a oneplus 5 running the latest version of android. i shouldn't have to get a new phone to be able to unlock my car.

I have had to occasionally get the key card out to start the car. When it happens, it is a nuisance but nothing to get bent over.

For the most part getting in and driving without a key is plus that outweighs these occasional issues.

If you put OxygenOS back on it (from my understanding OP did upgrade it to Oreo) does phone key work then? I noticed in the OP forums there were some BT issues initially, but it seems like it was worked out in 5.1.

no, it was actually worse with oxygenOS. that's why i went to a custom rom to begin with.

with the custom ROM it was literally flawless (did not fail a single time) for the first 3-4 days, and has almost never worked since.

no, it was actually worse with oxygenOS. that's why i went to a custom rom to begin with.

with the custom ROM it was literally flawless (did not fail a single time) for the first 3-4 days, and has almost never worked since.
Hmm, does a factory reset allow it to start working again? Most ROMS come rooted, so I wonder if there is another app messing with your BT connection. Before the reset, maybe try turning off WiFi and see if it works then?

So here's the thing...

If the car doesn't detect your phone is inside the car to put it into drive/reverse, it will show an error and ask you to tap the keycard. (I know this because it did it to me today).

So it sounds like your car knows your phone is in there if you aren't getting this error when you try and put foot on brake and engage?