Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Model 3 changes and leasing now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Notice the paint options are also $500 cheaper than they used to be.

I bought my SR+ a month ago before the supposed price increase. And I added midnight silver paint and AP at $4500 additional. Then the price went up $500. But today AP and the same paint upgrade would cost $3000. All this means I paid $1000 more a month ago than I would have paid today.

I am not a happy camper...

The line for the tissues and runny mascara mops is over *there*

Notice the paint options are also $500 cheaper than they used to be.

I bought my SR+ a month ago before the supposed price increase. And I added midnight silver paint and AP at $4500 additional. Then the price went up $500. But today AP and the same paint upgrade would cost $3000. All this means I paid $1000 more a month ago than I would have paid today.

I am not a happy camper...

Were you happy with the car yesterday? Nothing - not a damn thing with YOUR CAR - changed. Be happy and enjoy it.

I'm not very familiar with leasing vehicles... is my math roughly correct in this example? If so, I don't really get the appeal... even for someone who wants the newest tech every few years.

So let's say I put $10K down and pay $350/month for 36 month lease for a 2019 Model 3. That's $22,600. Fast forward to 2022 end of lease. How would returning the car and getting the newest 2022 Model 3 work? I just show up with the 2019 in good condition and get the 2022 one just like that and continue making 36 more monthly lease payments?
Or would I then have to put down another $10K (in this example) and start a new lease over (let's assume again $350/mo for 36 months)? Essentially $45,200 down the drain over 72 months of leasing if this is the case. Wouldn't be so bad without the high down payments required...

omfg people stop with the self pitty...

Yes you paid more. boo hoo. I honestly don't understand why people can't grasp this. YOU AGREED TO PAY FOR THE CAR AT THEIR ASKING PRICE! If you didn't see the value, then you shouldn't have made the purchase... plain and simple... My Fking god people. ENOUGH ALREADY!

Someone posted something about how when you buy a Tesla, you get exactly what you’re paying for at that time. It will change and if you aren’t ok with that, don’t purchase until you will be.

My SR+ is still $3,400 cheaper than if I bought today, except I would have Autopilot. Having never drove or sat in a Tesla before purchase I would never buy it upfront, but after having the Autopilot trial I use if for 90% of my driving. It is amazing. So while I’d like it to just be enabled for free as someone who bought an SR+ right away, I at least hope they’ll be an option for us to add it on and a similar price to what it is now being offered at.

But at the end of the day, I paid for the features and hardware I agreed to when I placed my order, and am happy to share with everyone interested in purchasing how much more they’ll get if they buy today.

Please note, customers who choose leasing over owning will not have the option to purchase their car at the end of the lease, because with full autonomy coming in the future via an over-the-air software update, we plan to use those vehicles in the Tesla ride-hailing network.

I LORL’d* when I read this.

(*Laughed Out Really Loud) :D

According to this article the $35K Standard Range model can be ordered without AP for $35K. So now instead of getting the standard interior with cloth seats, you get the Partial Premium Interior (minus the heated seats) for the same $35K. That’s an absolute steal if you weren’t planning on buying AP. I bet that option will only be available for a month or so before they eliminate it. If you were thinking about buying an SR, I’d jump on this offer before they take it away.

Tesla’s $35,000 Model 3 is no longer available to order online

You just have to call in for it. What is great though is everything is just disabled in software and you will have the option to have the heated seats turned on etc. This looks like a vast improvement to me.
I ponied up $2500 for SR+ just to get the heated seats.
I wonder if I can downgrade to SR and buy heated seats only for $500.

Will SR be slower at 5.6 sec vs SR+ at 5.3sec? I wonder if I can buy that for $500.

Heck, I wonder if I can pay $500 more and get the 0-60 down to 5.0sec.

Last edited:
I see we're going to have to take a number now just to charge.
giphy.gif

omfg people stop with the self pitty...

Yes you paid more. boo hoo. I honestly don't understand why people can't grasp this. YOU AGREED TO PAY FOR THE CAR AT THEIR ASKING PRICE! If you didn't see the value, then you shouldn't have made the purchase... plain and simple... My Fking god people. ENOUGH ALREADY!
But in my case, I did not purchased AP and saved $3000.
I lucked out.. hehe

Tesla will make money with software.
They cannot make money on cars with no optional software.
It is a logical move to include AP and raise the price.

Now if I downgrade to SR, I get free interior upgrade and get $2500 back... hehe.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm not very familiar with leasing vehicles... is my math roughly correct in this example? If so, I don't really get the appeal... even for someone who wants the newest tech every few years.

So let's say I put $10K down and pay $350/month for 36 month lease for a 2019 Model 3. That's $22,600. Fast forward to 2022 end of lease. How would returning the car and getting the newest 2022 Model 3 work? I just show up with the 2019 in good condition and get the 2022 one just like that and continue making 36 more monthly lease payments?
Or would I then have to put down another $10K (in this example) and start a new lease over (let's assume again $350/mo for 36 months)? Essentially $45,200 down the drain over 72 months of leasing if this is the case. Wouldn't be so bad without the high down payments required...
In your example, yes, you would pony up another 10k.

Reactions: deonb

Where do you see the high down payments required?

My assumption with the Model 3 is it's going to be a continuous evolving car as they try to reach FSD with it. I don't think they'll achieve it with the current sensor suite.

So I'd either buy the car for what it can do today, and just drive it till the doors fall off.

Or I'd put as little money into it as possible and just change cars every 3 years. I'm not seeing much advantage or disadvantage to leasing.

Anyway you look at it you're going to lose more than 50% of the value of the vehicle in 3 years.

For those that can't stand losing that much value than there are other vehicles to choose from. I'm constantly amazed about how little my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited drops in value. I keep meaning to sell it, but I can't seem to let go of it because there is just something about it that I love.

I'm hoping the Tesla pickup will hold its value similar to that of a Toyota Tacoma.