Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just changed my order from SR+ to LR AWD. 35 minute wait for sales to answer the phone but then dealt with very quickly and a revised agreement sent out within 5 miutes. Very much a -no problem- attitide from the sales person. I really don't think any other car maker would have been happy to do this. It really directly follows from Tesla not building cars to order, and only allocating them to customers at a late stage. So, frustrating not to watch your car passing through the build stages like you can with some manufacturers, but on balance well done Tesla for the flexibility you give us customers.

Exactly, there are some positives to this chaos. As I understand it (I could be wrong, I've only heard second hand), those who ordered an Audi e-tron are being told their cars are being delayed indefinitely, but they are unable to cancel without losing their deposits.

Audi Ts & Cs:
"
  1. The Reservation Program does NOT require you to complete a vehicle purchase, finance, or lease. If you change your mind before you have entered into a contract with your Dealer, you may cancel your Reservation by following the process outlined below under the "REFUNDS" section.
  2. This Reservation Program is designed to allow you to reserve the Vehicle, as further described below in the "VEHICLE" section. Once you configure your Vehicle, your Reservation is tied to a specific order at Dealer. In the event you are unable to complete a purchase through the Dealer, please contact Audi Customer Care at 1-844-573-8766 Customers who are unable to complete their purchase for any reason will be given a full refund of the Reservation Fee "
That seems to suggest you get your £1000 back regardless of when you cancel, but it looks like the reservations are handled by Corporate Audi and the orders are handled by the dealers, so the dealers could have different terms when it comes to cancelled orders.

There's this from IndideEVs:
"According to a report from Norway, one of the Audi e-tron reservation holders - Roar Lauvstad - received a note that his e-tron will be delivered up to six months later than expected. The only way to get the car quicker would be to change the order to a significantly more expensive version, but the customer would rather cancel the order. Sadly, the resignation would prompt a 8% (around $6,800) fine from Audi, so he is forced to wait."

And some people think Tesla is ripping them off? :rolleyes:

Reactions: -DB-
My observation on the buying experience is based upon buying Ford Ranger pickup trucks for almost the past 20 years. When buying my current truck, I waited 11 months for a 3.2 engined model and had to settle for a manual as an automatic would have taken another 3 months. I will be ordering a Tesla pickup as soon as possible as there is no sign of an established automobile manufacturer, like Ford, selling an electric pickup anytime soon!

Reactions: Roy W.
Audi Ts & Cs:
"
  1. The Reservation Program does NOT require you to complete a vehicle purchase, finance, or lease. If you change your mind before you have entered into a contract with your Dealer, you may cancel your Reservation by following the process outlined below under the "REFUNDS" section.
  2. This Reservation Program is designed to allow you to reserve the Vehicle, as further described below in the "VEHICLE" section. Once you configure your Vehicle, your Reservation is tied to a specific order at Dealer. In the event you are unable to complete a purchase through the Dealer, please contact Audi Customer Care at 1-844-573-8766 Customers who are unable to complete their purchase for any reason will be given a full refund of the Reservation Fee "
That seems to suggest you get your £1000 back regardless of when you cancel, but it looks like the reservations are handled by Corporate Audi and the orders are handled by the dealers, so the dealers could have different terms when it comes to cancelled orders.

There's this from IndideEVs:
"According to a report from Norway, one of the Audi e-tron reservation holders - Roar Lauvstad - received a note that his e-tron will be delivered up to six months later than expected. The only way to get the car quicker would be to change the order to a significantly more expensive version, but the customer would rather cancel the order. Sadly, the resignation would prompt a 8% (around $6,800) fine from Audi, so he is forced to wait."

And some people think Tesla is ripping them off? :rolleyes:

Yeah exactly. That article also has this gem of an insight into when those cars might actually be delivered:-

"New registrations of e-tron in Norway peaked in March at 680, but instead of staying high (the company received some 7,000 reservations), it decreased in April to 371."

Reactions: -DB-
Following the price drops I changed my order from a 3LR to a 3P+ and I will still be paying less overall so - result. But like many others I have also probably contributed to the chaos by jumping between the queues.

While on the phone I asked the guy about deliveries and he said they were expecting a ship between the 1st and 4th August with deliveries starting from the 12th August and another ship at the end of the month with deliveries in September.

Audi... are their batteries being supplied by Samsung?

i still think that a HUGE advantage that Tesla have, is that they produce their own batteries - and seem to be able to provide a good supply.

The other manufacturers seem to be struggling, or very reliant on 3rd party suppliers - which is a killer when they want to ramp up production.

I ordered my M3 on the 1st May, with an expected June delivery. I don't have a VIN. I want it today. But, tbh, I'll be quite happy with October. And I'm 100% confident that I'll get it by then.

Reactions: RjbT3
Audi... are their batteries being supplied by Samsung?

i still think that a HUGE advantage that Tesla have, is that they produce their own batteries - and seem to be able to provide a good supply.

Erm, they are actually produced by Panasonic inside Tesla facilities. Apparently, there is quite a pronounced demarcation line. Recently, that relationship has become strained, so it may not be quite so permanent a relationship as some may think. I think Tesla have desires to do there own thing which also may have added to the strain.

I've just changed my order from SR+ to LR AWD. 35 minute wait for sales to answer the phone but then dealt with very quickly and a revised agreement sent out within 5 miutes. Very much a -no problem- attitide from the sales person. I really don't think any other car maker would have been happy to do this. It really directly follows from Tesla not building cars to order, and only allocating them to customers at a late stage. So, frustrating not to watch your car passing through the build stages like you can with some manufacturers, but on balance well done Tesla for the flexibility you give us customers.

Agree re flexibility after ordering, it’s a good policy from Tesla.

I had the same 35 minute wait on the phone, followed by a very pleasant conversation to modify my order from P- to LR AWD. However, this was on Tuesday and my order agreement has still not been changed. Wonder if I should call them again?

I had the same 35 minute wait on the phone, followed by a very pleasant conversation to modify my order from P- to LR AWD. However, this was on Tuesday and my order agreement has still not been changed. Wonder if I should call them again?

Why dont you email or request confirmation through the contact area on the order page to chase (which should see you receive a text in response). I did both when the latest price changes came through, because an initial discussion with Heathrow resulted in being directed to cancel my order. Didn’t want to do this due to referral supercharger miles, inv no. etc. Tesla may have unorthodox processes, but have responded by text and email to every query. I subsequently got a call to make the changes and another email that confirmed it.

Reactions: interbear

When I made my change yesterday the sales person said to expect confirmation within 3-10 days. I actually got the confirmation within 5 minutes, which was a pleasant surprise. I wouldn't worry for a few days. Also, she did mention that the people who deal with emails are snowed under at the moment so you might not get a quick reply from them

Reactions: interbear
So, as suspected, the Cosco Tengfei is heading for Shanghai.
The Glovis Champion arrives at Pier 80 tomorrow. We won't know where its heading to until its ready to depart on Wednesday or possibly early Thursday. If inbound to Zeebrugge it will arrive there around 15/16 Aug.
Quite when, or if, Glovis Prime enters the equation remains unclear since it is still anchored off San Diego.
The Triumph Ace should arrive at the entrance to the Panama Canal tomorrow. Vehicle carriers appear to have some sort of priority and are seldom seen waiting for transit slots. It is of course hurricane season in the Caribbean but the latest synoptic chart looks clear of anything major which could force a rerouting, and so Zeebrugge around 3 Aug looks good. Although an arrival slot has not yet been booked at Zeebrugge, I would expect one to be made once clear of the canal.

My order agreement has been updated with a reduced car price but the FSD has gone to full price.
I ordered before 10th May to gain the £1,000 discount on FSD. I suspect this will be fixed at some point in the future.
Still no VIN..... Has anyone with a VIN ordered a tow bar?

I have a similar problem, car price adjusted down but paint and FSD increased meaning an overall increase. I'd be very interested to hear if they resolve this for you.
What spec car did you order?
@andics and @bhanorthy both have/had a VIN in their source code, both with a towbar.
TMC Forum UK Model 3 Order Summary Sheet

In the same situation. 1 May order, blue LR, 19inch wheels, FSD, tow bar. New order agreement this morning to reflect price drop but reverted to full price FSD. 40 minutes on hold to speak to nice Tesla man who confirmed they'd had lots of calls and it would be corrected.

No VIN, despite being early reservation holder and 1 May order.

I'll be very interested to hear if/when the FSD price is corrected for you also. I've also added you to the order summary sheet. Let me know if you want to add more info.

Love the username, very apt!

I have a similar problem, car price adjusted down but paint and FSD increased meaning an overall increase. I'd be very interested to hear if they resolve this for you.
What spec car did you order?
@andics and @bhanorthy both have/had a VIN in their source code, both with a towbar.
TMC Forum UK Model 3 Order Summary Sheet

I'll be very interested to hear if/when the FSD price is corrected for you also. I've also added you to the order summary sheet. Let me know if you want to add more info.

Love the username, very apt!

Sorry my tow bar is a mistake in the order sheet! I didn't order one!

My specs are P+, solid black (now £750 in my agreement), white interior and nothing else!

• Informative
Reactions: RjbT3
Who makes Tesla's battery cells? ie the 2170's. Technically its a joint venture, but...

https://electrek.co/2019/06/12/tesla-battery-cell-production-maxwell-tech/ said:
It’s easy to think that Tesla already makes its own battery cells since it claims to have the biggest battery factory in the world, but it’s actually not the case.

At Gigafactory 1 in Nevada, Tesla owns the factory, but part of the plant is occupied by Panasonic who owns cell production lines at the factory. Tesla buys those cells from the Japanese supplier to make battery modules and packs with them in other sections of the same factory.

other sources available...

https://evannex.com/blogs/news/gigafactory-vp-opens-up-about-tesla-s-battery-production said:
At the Gigafactory, Tesla and its partner Panasonic work together to make battery packs for Model 3, as well as for the Powerwall and Powerpack stationary storage products. Panasonic makes the cells - cylinders about the size of AA batteries, unceremoniously dubbed “2170 cells” because they measure 21 mm in diameter and 70 mm in length. Tesla assembles the cells into long strings it calls bandoliers, assembles these into modules, and assembles the modules into finished packs.

Last edited:
Apparently, there is quite a pronounced demarcation line. Recently, that relationship has become strained, so it may not be quite so permanent a relationship as some may think. I think Tesla have desires to do there own thing which also may have added to the strain.

Yes there have been news articles pointing at a strain in a relationship and that Panasonic is not going to invest more money but some were taken out of context and cleared up by Tesla in shareholder communication. Panasonic make the batteries but in recent earnings calls they have mentioned that they are increasing the production efficiencies of the battery lines rather than new lines with improvements being seen from June compared to the first quarter where production was limited on the battery supply.

One thing with Tesla is that they don't make everything clear as day, they must have some tight contracts and contingencies in place incase of a relationship malfunction.

Yes there is the Maxwell acquisition and I am sure we will here more about the benefits of this over the coming months especially with the battery info day.