Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That, is a very good point!

Happy to help :)

I’ve been endlessly debating RWD SR+ vs AWD LR in my head since even before I placed the order, despite the fact that financially only one of these is at all sensible!

The weird thing is I can’t really pin down anything that’s driving me to the high spec in particular. As you said it’s probably just FOMO, and the sense that with some other manufacturers the base model in a range can be an under-specced trap mode to be avoided by the wise buyer.

I’ve been endlessly debating RWD SR+ vs AWD LR in my head since even before I placed the order, despite the fact that financially only one of these is at all sensible!

The weird thing is I can’t really pin down anything that’s driving me to the high spec in particular. As you said it’s probably just FOMO, and the sense that with some other manufacturers the base model in a range can be an under-specced trap mode to be avoided by the wise buyer.
Range is key in electric cars, always go long. Assuming you are planning to keep the car, the battery will degrade over time, so it is worth starting from the best high point you can...IMHO

Reactions: Roy W.
Range is key in electric cars, always go long. Assuming you are planning to keep the car, the battery will degrade over time, so it is worth starting from the best high point you can...IMHO
Well, I'm hoping to mitigate this by having Black Horse take the risk on the residual value after 4 years.... I have to honestly ask myself how often I'm going to travel more than 50 miles in a day during the next 4 years, and I'm pretty sure I can count that on my fingers.

Reactions: dst87

I've been doing the exact same thing and driving me mad, my heart says LR or P but my head quickly puts it back into its place. For me I'll be mainly doing 60 miles a day and then the occasional 300 mile round trip. I figure that if I'm driving a long distance I'll want to factor a stop in regardless so range shouldn't be an issue. That said I do suffer from FOMO and love the idea of going further quicker

I've been doing the exact same thing and driving me mad, my heart says LR or P but my head quickly puts it back into its place. For me I'll be mainly doing 60 miles a day and then the occasional 300 mile round trip. I figure that if I'm driving a long distance I'll want to factor a stop in regardless so range shouldn't be an issue. That said I do suffer from FOMO and love the idea of going further quicker

Yeah I spent some time with the Tesla route planner and it seems to me on long journeys I’m going to want a break before the car does. So barring the edge case of a long trip that takes you outside of Supercharger and CCS networks it doesn’t seem like range should be an issue in daily driving. But obviously my real world experience of electric cars is currently nil!

Yeah I spent some time with the Tesla route planner and it seems to me on long journeys I’m going to want a break before the car does. So barring the edge case of a long trip that takes you outside of Supercharger and CCS networks it doesn’t seem like range should be an issue in daily driving. But obviously my real world experience of electric cars is currently nil!
I’ve had two EVs: a Leaf 24 in 2015 that I had for two years and did 20k miles, and a Kona electric 64 which has done 15k miles. Having suffered from severe range anxiety in the Leaf, it certainly gave me the view that range is king with EVs.

As well as the loss of range with age, I think there are two other major factors - the loss of range in cold weather, which depending on conditions I’d estimate at between 15% and 25%, and the fact that you rarely want to run the battery right down. The optimum ‘cycle’ for an EV battery is to charge up to 80%, run down to 20%. Regularly going to 100% or down below 10% is not good for the battery. That’s of little consequence if you’re not planning on keeping the car, except that a knackered battery could affect the resale value.

So on the SR+, with a real range at 100% of 210 miles, 80% charge will give you 168 miles. Lose another 20% in the depths of winter, and that gives you a range of about 135 miles.

YMMV :D

I’ve had two EVs: a Leaf 24 in 2015 that I had for two years and did 20k miles, and a Kona electric 64 which has done 15k miles. Having suffered from severe range anxiety in the Leaf, it certainly gave me the view that range is king with EVs.

As well as the loss of range with age, I think there are two other major factors - the loss of range in cold weather, which depending on conditions I’d estimate at between 15% and 25%, and the fact that you rarely want to run the battery right down. The optimum ‘cycle’ for an EV battery is to charge up to 80%, run down to 20%. Regularly going to 100% or down below 10% is not good for the battery. That’s of little consequence if you’re not planning on keeping the car, except that a knackered battery could affect the resale value.

So on the SR+, with a real range at 100% of 210 miles, 80% charge will give you 168 miles. Lose another 20% in the depths of winter, and that gives you a range of about 135 miles.

Its just a pretty huge ££ leap. If they did the LR RWD for maybe half the difference between the SR+ and the LR AWD it'd be a no-brainer.

Thanks for that, it is helpful to hear from experience.

Where are you seeing 210 for SR+ though? Everything I’ve seen says more like 240-250?

My main regular drive is going to be 100 mile round trip a couple of times a week, with some opportunity to charge at work. So even 135 practical range would still be more than enough once I have the home charger.

And surely if you know you’re doing a long trip then that’s when you pre-charge up to ~100%?

The bottom line for me is that the AWD LR is 25% more than the RWD SR+, and I find it very hard to justify (or afford, if I’m being honest) the extra.

Reactions: Roy W.
Manchester to London 200 mile simulation for various makes and models EV 200 Mile Manchester to London Trip Simulation : Musings

Biggest difference is that, based upon 95% depart, min 10% charge, 80% max recharge, 20% arrival, is that SR+ needs a second stop in winter conditions, and LR has more miles to spare at end of journey for pottering around with no pressing need to recharge at destination. If it was not for specifying 20% arrival charge, LR would not have required its splash and dash and could easily have done it with no stops in Summer although destination charging may be useful in this case. Obviously you need to have enough miles to get to first charge point of return leg.

Neither are a fail for either scenario but LR just gives a bit more flexibility especially during busy charging periods. SR+ winter stops are for a little longer than a quick 'comfort' break.

Where are you seeing 210 for SR+ though? Everything I’ve seen says more like 240-250?

And surely if you know you’re doing a long trip then that’s when you pre-charge up to ~100%?
I usually take real-world ranges from here:

https://ev-database.uk/

210 may be slightly low, but looking at what they quote for the other cars I’ve had, it’s not far off. The new WLTP range test is a joke, although admittedly not as optimistic as the old NEDC testing. As another guide I also use the USA EPA ranges, as I find these are much closer to what I personally achieve, but still somewhat optimistic. The EPA range for the SR+ is 239 miles.

If you’re happy to drive in ‘granny mode’ (no offence meant to any grannies out there) then you should be able to achieve the EPA rating, but I’m certainly not buying my M3 to drive like that!

And yes, you’re right, when you’re planning a long trip you do charge to 100%, but I wouldn’t want to be doing that week in and week out. I used to charge the Leaf to 100% all the time, as that still only gave me 80 miles max, but over the two years and 20k miles the battery suffered for it. I wasn’t concerned because I knew I was handing the car back after two years. With the Kona, I’ve probably only charged that to 100% a total of 10 times.

I fully appreciate what you’re saying about money. The M3 is a stretch for me too. I’m only passing on my own thoughts, and I’m sure you’ll be over the moon with whatever M3 you get.

I usually take real-world ranges from here:

https://ev-database.uk/

210 may be slightly low, but looking at what they quote for the other cars I’ve had, it’s not far off. The new WLTP range test is a joke, although admittedly not as optimistic as the old NEDC testing. As another guide I also use the USA EPA ranges, as I find these are much closer to what I personally achieve, but still somewhat optimistic. The EPA range for the SR+ is 239 miles.

If you’re happy to drive in ‘granny mode’ (no offence meant to any grannies out there) then you should be able to achieve the EPA rating, but I’m certainly not buying my M3 to drive like that!

And yes, you’re right, when you’re planning a long trip you do charge to 100%, but I wouldn’t want to be doing that week in and week out. I used to charge the Leaf to 100% all the time, as that still only gave me 80 miles max, but over the two years and 20k miles the battery suffered for it. I wasn’t concerned because I knew I was handing the car back after two years. With the Kona, I’ve probably only charged that to 100% a total of 10 times.

I fully appreciate what you’re saying about money. The M3 is a stretch for me too. I’m only passing on my own thoughts, and I’m sure you’ll be over the moon with whatever M3 you get.

Thanks, this is all hugely useful for me.

My longest regular trip (family visiting) is 150 miles, and that’s one a quarter. I think if I was precharging to 100% for a big drive even once a month it would be a shock.

I’m sure there will be days I’m cursing not getting the bigger range when I’m queuing for super chargers, but ultimately I think it should suit my usual driving OK.

Its just a pretty huge ££ leap. If they did the LR RWD for maybe half the difference between the SR+ and the LR AWD it'd be a no-brainer.

With you on this, an in-between would be ideal! I've spent sometime doing the maths and having the SR+ would save me money (only about £100 a month) but if I was taking on the LR I would be spending more which the Mrs wouldn't have me do!

Either way, looking forward to getting a text message with a delivery date and will continue being jealous seeing everyone else get theirs!

In the meantime, I'll shop for accessories

Reactions: TestPilot
Thanks, this is all hugely useful for me.

My longest regular trip (family visiting) is 150 miles, and that’s one a quarter. I think if I was precharging to 100% for a big drive even once a month it would be a shock.

I’m sure there will be days I’m cursing not getting the bigger range when I’m queuing for super chargers, but ultimately I think it should suit my usual driving OK.
I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Always make sure you carry your UMC, then when you arrive at family or friends etc you can always plug in while you’re there and gain a few miles of range.

Reactions: Grymbok
I haven't been following this thread all that closely. Can someone provide a summary (preferably with an updated prophecy from the ship whisperer @davidmc ) of UK bound RHD M3 vessels?
I picked up from @Mr Miserable that the
SFL Conductor is soon to load in San Francisco?
Triumph Ace is unloading at Zeebrugge?
Glovis Champion is planning to arrive at Zeebrugge on the evening of the 14 August.
Any other vessels of interest right now?

Reactions: davidmc
Lol am i allowed some internet points for the arrival and delivery guesses! ;)
Wow. I remember reading that post at the time and thinking "what does he know?" Now I take my hat off...
Swapped my red for white, so a spare one for you in case you don't like the paint on yours...
When and what did you originally order and when did you change it? Any sign of a delivery?
Similar experience here told mid August - I reckon early September everything crossed
"Can I add your order to the summary sheet too, if you're interested?
I am booking number 158.... Still no car or delivery date?
That's an early order, can I compare your order on the summary sheet?

Reactions: davidmc
It's really not helping with my FOMO desires to switch from black SR+ to white LR AWD....
More money but, more range, increased residual value, much better stereo, faster, dual motors for better traction on slippy surfaces. I reckon the relatively small difference in published PCP GMFVs between SR+ and LRAWD don't reflect the extra value down the line with the increased range and spec. But, yeah, £9k.

We bought a software locked Models S60 in October 2016 that had a 100% range of 200mile. In the UK 200miles is completely liveable with. Could be better, but no real problem.. We got the CHAdeMO adapter and used third party rapid chargers (Electric highway was free in those days) as well as Superchargers. The supercharger network has gotten significantly better since then. We did a long road trip to the south of France and while we occasionally has to make more stops than would have been ideal we could cover lots of ground no problem.

We have since software unlocked that to give us 224(ish) miles and that’s definitely easier to live with. But anyone worried about living with the range of an SR+ really shouldnt worry...

More money but, more range, increased residual value, much better stereo, faster, dual motors for better traction on slippy surfaces. I reckon the relatively small difference in published PCP GMFVs between SR+ and LRAWD don't reflect the extra value down the line with the increased range and spec. But, yeah, £9k.
Yeah, I can see the value in all the extra stuff you get, I just can't afford it :(

If the Black Horse PCP application actually matched the Model 3 order page Contract Purchase estimate it might be more doable, but it's way off.