Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the pros and cons versus a Tesla one? The OLEV thing is the grant I only discovered yesterday and Tesla charger is not covered, right?

Exactly, I've heard very mixed things about Pod Point but a mate has one and it's fine. It was about £400 fitted after grant and they do everything for you, it's pretty much zero effort. The Tesla one isn't eligible for the OLEV grant, doesn't meet all the "smart" requirements, so probably would be over £1k once fitted.

My other BIG guess is that the Triumph will set off on the 13th July and take 21 days arriving around the 3rd August. So expect vin allocations to start happening a few days before arrival at Zee Dock

VIN allocations have already started for the batches of VINs registered on 31st May, 5th June* & 3rd July... Tesla have said before that allocations happen when the cars are loaded onto a boat (although we didn't believe them because they didn't happen until close to landing last time).

* There's someone with a mid-July delivery appointment from this batch which is interesting as no-one can work out how the car could have got here unless it's on a leftfield ship (Tysla travelled from Dundalk (US east cost) to Zeebrugge)

VIN allocations have already started for the batches of VINs registered on 31st May, 5th June* & 3rd July... Tesla have said before that allocations happen when the cars are loaded onto a boat (although we didn't believe them because they didn't happen until close to landing last time).

* There's someone with a mid-July delivery appointment from this batch which is interesting as no-one can work out how the car could have got here unless it's on a leftfield ship (Tysla travelled from Dundalk (US east cost) to Zeebrugge)
**** :(

What are the pros and cons versus a Tesla one? The OLEV thing is the grant I only discovered yesterday and Tesla charger is not covered, right?

Tesla is not covered, and the OLEV charger needs to be "smart" from now on. Tesla one isnt

3 main advantages of Tesla are:

1. it supports 3-phase and you can daisy chain chargers
2. it has a button to open the charge port for charging and then unlock the cable when unplugging
3. The cable is 7.5m - most OLEV chargers that are tethered have cable length of about 5 meters.

Installation is covered by OLEV, however the installers dont want to do anything remotely non-standard. Basically if your meter is within basic routing options to where you want the WC to be then its fine and be happy with plastic cable routing. If you want under floor routing or wall chasing then you have to do all that yourself.

I got mine from Tesla and the install cost £600 + £460 for the charger. 2 guys worked for most of the day (0800 - 1500) to route cabling under the floor and make it neat and tidy, as well as put additional exterior sockets for the pressure washer. Pod point installers wouldn't do that.

But if you want cheap standard install then they are the way to go.

Got my VIN in the last couple of days!

P+, black, white interior ordered on the 26th June (no reservation!)

Wow, that goes to prove that reservation dates / order dates mean little. If they have a vehicle matching your order you’ll get it, is my interpretation. Lucky you! Out of interest how do you get informed when you are allocated a VIN? Text, email, on your Tesla account?

Reactions: Roy W.
that goes to prove that reservation dates / order dates mean little.

But only if someone else with an earlier order date for same colour/mode and same delivery location gets bumped ...

Maybe that is an uncommon options choice. It would not surprise me that Tesla have made excess P+, its the highest-margin model, so being able to sell those "immediately", even if no back orders, is probably attractive to them

I guess if the intention is to provide 5000 RHD cars to the UK over the next two months like they did in Norway everyone with an order will receive them regardless.

Yes, a reservation only has a value when there is say a 1 year+ waiting list for the car. If the entire order backlog is cleared within a few months, then it has little value. But was only £1k to potentially get your car a month or two earlier if the moons aligned for your order vs allocation.