Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More Uk-bound Ships?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that US vehicles now have it, so my guess is that the hardware may now be fitted as standard to all cars now. Whether it's activated or not is anyone's guess, but this video may be helpful:

Can someone tell me why we are turning of a safety feature? I get its loud that's the point. Kids run out in front of cars as it is even more so if they can't hear it. When someone kills a kid cos they have turned it of its going to be all over national news not just electric eV news. Also sounds selfish. Just wait till its adjusted a bit due to feedback.
It does just sound like some rich kid winging in that video

Reactions: ProfessorK
Can someone tell me why we are turning of a safety feature? I get its loud that's the point. Kids run out in front of cars as it is even more so if they can't hear it. When someone kills a kid cos they have turned it of its going to be all over national news not just electric eV news. Also sounds selfish. Just wait till its adjusted a bit due to feedback.
It does just sound like some rich kid winging in that video

I'm not convinced it really is that useful as a supposedly safety feature. There are lots of ICE cars that have engines that are pretty much inaudible at very low speeds (and the noise maker on an EV is only required to operate at very low speeds). Tyre noise seems to be the dominant sound from a lot of cars, even ICE ones, at low speeds. I've been driving cars that are silent (in terms of no engine noise) at low speeds since 2005, over a total mileage of something like 150,000 miles. During that time I've never once had any issue, when driving forwards slowly, with pedestrians or cyclists not realising that the car was there. I have had issues in car parks with pedestrians not realising the car was starting to reverse, although the incidence of this happening has dropped markedly over the past few years (might be that people are getting used to quieter cars).

I like the idea of having a reversing sound, as long as it's under driver control. However, there are times when being able to drive off slowly, with no noise, is very useful, though, so having a car that makes a fair bit of noise getting it out of the garage at the crack of dawn, or putting it back very late at night, seems a bit antisocial. The noise irritation from car central locking systems that used to beep, or even sound the horn, soon led to manufacturers dropping this audible warning, for exactly this reason.

I'm not convinced it really is that useful as a supposedly safety feature. There are lots of ICE cars that have engines that are pretty much inaudible at very low speeds (and the noise maker on an EV is only required to operate at very low speeds). Tyre noise seems to be the dominant sound from a lot of cars, even ICE ones, at low speeds. I've been driving cars that are silent (in terms of no engine noise) at low speeds since 2005, over a total mileage of something like 150,000 miles. During that time I've never once had any issue, when driving forwards slowly, with pedestrians or cyclists not realising that the car was there. I have had issues in car parks with pedestrians not realising the car was starting to reverse, although the incidence of this happening has dropped markedly over the past few years (might be that people are getting used to quieter cars).

I like the idea of having a reversing sound, as long as it's under driver control. However, there are times when being able to drive off slowly, with no noise, is very useful, though, so having a car that makes a fair bit of noise getting it out of the garage at the crack of dawn, or putting it back very late at night, seems a bit antisocial. The noise irritation from car central locking systems that used to beep, or even sound the horn, soon led to manufacturers dropping this audible warning, for exactly this reason.
Yes one might reasonably ask why is such a noise maker not required on hybrid cars that spend quite a lot of time on electric power only when moving in pedestrianised areas.

Reactions: Thomami
I'm not convinced it really is that useful as a supposedly safety feature. There are lots of ICE cars that have engines that are pretty much inaudible at very low speeds

I have not found that to be the case at very low speeds. I have had plenty of occasions where pedestrians had no idea I was there (approaching at slow speed), and also horse riders on country roads and bike riders on narrow tracks etc.

I think that the fact that some ICE cars are incredibly silent is not an argument for EVs not to have Sounders, but rather the fact that all "silent cars" should have them.

I'm dead against noise pollution, which seems to be a great benefit in town of EV compared to most ICE, and I would hate EV sounders to sound like reversing HGVs ... but from what I understand I don't think that will be the case, and some noise at very slow speed will help pedestrians, particularly blind etc. and I don't think it needs to be the cause of noise pollution, nor audible from inside the car.

Tyre noise seems to be the dominant sound from a lot of cars, even ICE ones, at low speeds

I agree that the moment a reasonable speed has been reached the general tire and wind noise is sufficient for surrounding pedestrians etc., but at very low speed my experience has been that my car is silent as far as pedestrians are concerned.

Reactions: phillcom3
Potentially bad news for those of us with vehicles on the Jasper Arrow..

It’s making an unscheduled diversion to Kingston Jamaica, either technical issues or medical emergency apparently!!

41835267-C1DB-4A01-8C9E-6B6764339A3B.jpeg