Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Most Appropriate/Inappropriate/Funniest TMC Banner Ad's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They profile, but that doesn't mean they aren't way off the mark... Mostly on this site I get ads for gasoline powered vehicles... isn't it pretty obvious by my being here that I don't want one of those? They're also notorious for advertising whatever you just bought to you, which is silly, because you've already bought it!

Funniest Advert on TMC

I have seen car adverts (non tesla) on TMC, but this one takes the cake.

image.jpg

I never objected to the ads on the old site because they were 'relevant' to me, I.e. I might actually be interested in clicking through to see more. But the targeting on the new site seems to be VERY poor. I mean, this is just gross and I don't want to see it anymore!

image.png

• Funny
Reactions: ohmman
I never objected to the ads on the old site because they were 'relevant' to me, I.e. I might actually be interested in clicking through to see more. But the targeting on the new site seems to be VERY poor. I mean, this is just gross and I don't want to see it anymore!
Heh. Oh, that will comb right out.
There's been no change to our ads. We do try to keep them at a minimum and I block a bunch (via Google AdSense) I deem inappropriate for TMC, in particular the dating ads we used to get. I've just blocked the one you pointed out. Though, "if you're a middle aged man concerned about high blood pressure," I may have been properly targeted. "Ask your doctor."

You clearly don't understand how the ad systems work. They are ads picked by Google & other ad networks and are targeted to you as an individual. I don't see truck ads. The ads you see are based on your geographic location, what other websites you visit, what you look at on Amazon/eBay, and likely what you search for on Google itself, etc.

I just logged on this site in private browsing without having visited another site, never use google to search, and have zero browsing cache cookies history etc and got Saab parts ad at the top of this page and Post delivery ad at the top of the main page.

The ads must therefore rely on the only information available to them, the information on the TMC website.

You clearly don't understand how the ad systems work. They are ads picked by Google & other ad networks and are targeted to you as an individual. I don't see truck ads. The ads you see are based on your geographic location, what other websites you visit, what you look at on Amazon/eBay, and likely what you search for on Google itself, etc.

InternetDude is totally correct.... yesterday I was looking up some data on a product.... Viola! that product is not appearing at the top of TMC and on Google Finance... gotta love it....

I do understand how ads work for the most part. I also understand that I've never been one to browse trucks, dodge sites, or anything along those lines. Since I've never used one of the ad platforms my request was more can you make them better targeted. Again, love the site and want to give them money, but seeing some of these ads is like having some dumbass hick coal roll you, no thanks.

If the ad companies don't have a big enough profile on you (for example if you use an ad blocker or other cookie defeating plugin), then they'll guess at what kind of ad you might be interested in. So vehicle ads don't surprise me in the least, I can't possibly see how they would be offensive. You're on an automotive site and complaining about an automotive ad...? It's actually pretty well targeted in the "big picture".

Turn off ad blocker everywhere for a week or two and you'd be a lot happier with the ads, I assure you.

So, I was served up this ad today on TMC:

Screen Shot 2018-07-23 at 7.10.08 PM.png

It certainly is an interesting targeting strategy. :) Looks like someone's algorithm needs a bit of tweaking.

PS TMC is currently whitelisted, but if this keeps up, I am gonna have to revisit that...I have not desire to waste my time or bandwidth on this idiocy.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865