TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

mount to ONLY hold end of home charger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by yeet, Dec 17, 2019.

1. yeet

yeet Member

im looking for something that will hold the end of the tesla charging cable, that i can mount to a wall. there are plenty of "tesla cable organizers" like this on amazon:

[​IMG]

but theyre meant to be used to hold the cable as well, so theyre huge.does anyone know of something that is only meant to hold the plug? (basically what is pictured on the left side of the picture, but smaller since i wont be hanging cable on it)

2. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

3. GtiMart

GtiMart Member

4. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

I was going to suggest the same. Some libraries and other publicly-accessible facilities like makerspaces have 3D printers, too. Note also that there's an "order this printed" link that will take you to some 3D printing services. I've never used one, so I can't recommend a specific service, but you could use that option if you don't have any other access to a 3D printer.

5. Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk Member

Bike water bottle holders seemed to be all the rage back when I was researching a mounting option. For now though the connector conveniently goes on top of the lawn chair I have stored propped up in the corner of my garage.

HPWC soon to follow though

• Like x 1
  6. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

I got one of these:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XNYZR9R/

Seemed the "lowest profile" solution since I don't have a lot of space in my garage and didn't want it sticking out. Only had it up a couple days but so far so good.

7. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

That one's clearly 3D printed (there's nothing wrong with that; but....), and provides the cable-spooling ability that @yeet explicitly does not want. That said, scouring eBay for something else may be worth trying. It's conceivable that somebody there will offer something more like the 3D printed design that @GtiMart suggested.

8. Feathermerchan

My solution. Bike water bottle holder for EVSE and bike hook for cable.
    IMG_20190925_214633.jpg

• Informative x 1
  9. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

10. pdx_m3s

pdx_m3s Active Member

Didn’t realize Tesla came out with a new cable organizer. The new one is far more useful the the Gen1 version.

11. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Supporting Member

I got one of those 3d printed ones in 2018 and it's great. Sadly, I couldn't find it on ebay now and looking at my purchase history, the 'seller is no longer registered on ebay'

It still did have a hook big enough for a loop or so of cable but I think if you want it to hold really NONE, you'll have to make/buy one that holds the handle turned 90 degrees(flat to the wall)

12. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

OK, weird, the listing is gone and replaced with one for XBox Controllers. For the record, I am not using a controller to hold my charger!

• Funny x 1
  13. srs5694

srs5694 Active Member

If you want just about any 3D-printed object for which a design is publicly available and don't own your own 3D printer, you can still get the object in several ways:

• Ask friends or family members who own 3D printers to help.
    • Check around for local resources. Some public libraries and makerspaces have 3D printers, for instance.
    • Use a 3D printing services. The popular Thingiverse site provides an "order this printed" link on all its listings to help you get this done. (Note that I've never used these services, so I can't recommend a specific one.)
    • Buy a 3D printer. At the low end, they're quite cheap -- $150 or so; however, such a cheap 3D printer is likely to be troublesome. They become easier to use and more reliable as you pay more; most $500 units are likely to be decent. OTOH, even $150 is a bit much to pay if you just want a Tesla charge cable holster.

Check Thingiverse for 3D printing designs, including Tesla cable organizers and holsters. There are quite a few such designs there.

14. kwoody51

kwoody51 Member

Well I'll be....

Wish I would have known about this when I was piecing together a solution for my setup at home.... looks MUCH better than 70% of the 3D printed stuff on the market.

15. Sophias_dad

Sophias_dad Supporting Member

https://www.anixter.com/en_us/products/JP75W-L20/PANDUIT/J-Hooks/p/324712 would probably do a really good job with the handle(holding the cord, not the handle). Its opening is 0.75", and the HPWC cable is 0.90", and I'm sure it would fit okay.

Note that I haven't measured the UMC's cable, other than to say its notably smaller than the HPWC cable.

They also make a 1.21" version that I used for guiding my HPWC cable in my garage, and the handle itself might fit nicely in it. I have a bunch left over that I'll likely put on ebay when I get around to it.. I've had them since October 2018.

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

17. user212_nr

user212_nr Active Member

They have to be somewhat large in order to be secure.

If you just want to hold the plug, you'll need to do something custom that suits your particular situation. Make use of parts that are not intended for Teslas. A small box or hook, for example.

18. user212_nr

user212_nr Active Member

19. user212_nr

user212_nr Active Member

I own a 3D printer and wouldn't recommend it to anyone except as a hobby. I consider myself technically inclined and the learning curve was steep. Time required for learning is immense; large prints take min 5 hours.

As to such services, I've priced out a small object on one and it didn't come out cheap. I'd estimate $120+ for the holder.