Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Idaho Superchargers (location speculation, discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MarcG

Oct 29, 2014
San Francisco
On the 2016 map of superchargers from Tesla's website, it looks like there will be a couple of superchargers in easter Idaho: one by Pocatello, and one by Idaho Falls.

This should help the N-S travel along I-15 in Idaho and into western Wyoming (where it looks like Jackson may also get a supercharger).

Does anyone who live in the area have any idea on whether anything's been permitted there yet?

Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 2.54.47 PM.png

Just got this from the Supercharger team. I hope they are further along than not. Would love to have the Pocatello Supercharger in before mid summer.

"Hello,

Thank you for your email and welcome to the Tesla Family! We are happy to share that we have chosen a location in the Pocatello area, but we are unable to make guarantees about opening dates. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers and we are excited to announce new sites on our website and in your Model S.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology."

Moderator note: This post was originally the first for this thread, before posts were merged in from other, older threads.

Starting a thread for news on Idaho superchargers/destination chargers, chargers. Should get my car in a month or so. Mountain Home has supposed to come online for a while. We have a big hole North of Sun Valley up toward Montana, through the Middle of the state.

So starting a thread for news on charging, new chargers including but not limited to Mountain Home, alternatives, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: IdaX
Mountain Home has supposed to come online for a while.
There is no permit or sign of construction for a Mountain Home supercharger. Furthermore, the Tesla map says "Target Opening 2023." So don't hold your breath on that one. You'll probably get it in 2024 or 2025.

It doesn't look like there are any other supercharger sites in the works for the state of Idaho. You should consult supercharge.info for information on superchargers and Plugshare for all other kinds of EV chargers. The Tesla map isn't worth a whole lot.

There is no permit or sign of construction for a Mountain Home supercharger. Furthermore, the Tesla map says "Target Opening 2023." So don't hold your breath on that one. You'll probably get it in 2024 or 2025.

It doesn't look like there are any other supercharger sites in the works for the state of Idaho. You should consult supercharge.info for information on superchargers and Plugshare for all other kinds of EV chargers. The Tesla map isn't worth a whole lot.
Dang. The supercharger network is one of the main reasons I went with a Tesla order now, as it helped me feel comfortable I could drive where I drive now and not have to wait 10 years. Thankfully based on the repeated experience of my friend who has his Tesla, and his trips, trips between SV and the Seattle/Portland/California areas are quite doable. Even without Mountain Home. But it will be nice when that is in.

Have you traveled into Idaho? How did it go? Anyone else drive around the Intermountain west including Idaho much? How has it gone?

The areas that kinda concern me are getting up through the central mountains of Idaho toward Missoula (looks like you have to go around to I-15 rather than straight up through Salmon as I would normally drive). And trips into Wyoming toward CO look pretty slim too. Your routes in those areas are not super flexible. And I am guessing due to population, it will be a while.

Have you traveled into Idaho? How did it go? Anyone else drive around the Intermountain west including Idaho much? How has it gone?

The areas that kinda concern me are getting up through the central mountains of Idaho toward Missoula (looks like you have to go around to I-15 rather than straight up through Salmon as I would normally drive). And trips into Wyoming toward CO look pretty slim too. Your routes in those areas are not super flexible. And I am guessing due to population, it will be a while.
I’ve been up your way in a 70D, bicycle loaded, so I know it’s possible. Spent a couple days/nights there to enjoy the area. However, I specifically decided against driving through Salmon to Missoula because of the extra time required charging in Salmon. If you can, buy a business or land near Salmon (make sure there’s an easy connection to high powered utilities, and then send a request off to Tesla. It might take a year or two, but that’s probably the fastest and easiest way to get Tesla’s attention.

Reactions: Sunvalleylaw