Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@1plavs good question. Maybe the EV Mudflaps set? If you're watching their installation video on their site, make sure to turn on captions on YouTube since the gentleman speaks in French, but the captions are in English. I was really looking for a no-drill approach, but after watching the installation video, it doesn't look that bad in fact. Food for thought maybe.
Are they fairly new in the market? Never heard of them.

Are they fairly new in the market? Never heard of them.

@1plavs no, I believe they were the first one available actually. They are sort of rally-style, or kind of like a 4-piece version of Tesla's own flaps. 4 Garde-boues Tesla Model Y

They are a bit pricey though.. but remember when you see the $130 price tag that they're based in Quebec so those are Canadian Bucks, which works out to around $104 USD at current exchange as I'm typing this. So, still pretty pricey.

@1plavs no, I believe they were the first one available actually. They are sort of rally-style, or kind of like a 4-piece version of Tesla's own flaps. 4 Garde-boues Tesla Model Y

They are a bit pricey though.. but remember when you see the $130 price tag that they're based in Quebec so those are Canadian Bucks, which works out to around $104 USD at current exchange as I'm typing this. So, still pretty pricey.
Do they have the least amount of install issues? Do they rub on speed bumps?

There is a lip on the inside, so that could collect debris, but it’s not a concern for me(not a lot of debris on our roads in SoCal). Yes, caliper covers and I love them. Gives MY a little more personality.

Just installed the same, overall happy and looks good from a distance. The only concerns I had where.

1. The inside looks unfinished, the metal clip is exposed. No one would probably notice except for me.

2. They don't look areo at all and I wonder how consumption is.

3. Given the "scoop" shape I worry about getting ripped off through water or snow.

4. The rear top rubber "snap" is too wide and doesn't hug the trim as well as the front.

Overall happy but I wish I would have noticed the scoopiness before ordering. I will order something that looks a bit more finished for my 3.

I say Tesla OEM for the front. Different for the back. These are great. Mudguards Black plastic Mud Flap Flaps Splash Guards For 2020 2021 Tesla Model Y | eBay
Will they match? No. Will they protect? Yes they will.

Based on all of the damage pictures that have been posted here, I have no doubt that the front mud flaps are needed and I have installed them myself. I am considering getting the PPF for the rear door. However, I have not seen any pictures of damage that the rear mud flaps might have prevented. Have you suffered any rear damage or aware of any that rear mud flaps would have prevented?

I have the EVMudFlaps on my Model Y. I never heard of them before I purchased them a few months ago but they seem to be well regarded on here and I like them a lot. But not everyone is a fan of the “rally style” mud flaps and they are relatively expensive (currently ~$120 USD for both front and rear).

Their website is EV Mudflaps par Antirouille Bolduc and they’re based out of Canada.

I got the EVMudFlaps before the OEM ones came out. When Tesla came out with their own (fronts only), I ordered them also and put them on. But after some driving with the OEM ones, I still found new paint damage to the rear doors and I believe it’s because the OEM do not extend out sideways enough. So I ended up putting the EVMudFlaps back on and returning the OEMs.

Since I’m posting, I’ll add my thoughts on these other “molded” style mudflaps, such as Tesmanian and RPM Tesla. These look way nicer than the rally style or OEM mudflaps but IMHO is more form over function. The intent of the flaps, at least for me, is to protect the rear door paint. To do this effectively, the flaps need to be as low and as wide as needed, so it blocks debris from being flung from the front tires and reaching the rear door. The molded style seem to generally be too short for them to be effective in this way.

Debris will, more or less, be ejected from the front tires in a straight line at speed. So those with the molded flaps can put their head as close as you can to the lower part of the rear door and see how much of the front tire you can see, to get a generally idea.

So it’s all a matter of personal preference of form vs function and tolerance to any damage that is done from debris.

Just so I understand for the MY is the general consensus against RPM (because of the install and quality issues) and if so if I want front/rear mud flaps what should I be considering?
I got the basenor ones from Amazon. $40 for the set of 4. They look similar to the RPM ones but also have a metal clip in addition to the plastic ridge that holds them in place toward the top -- seems more secure than if they were simply relying on the plastic ridge. I haven't tried installing the rear ones yet as I'm not convinced I like the look and also don't want to deal with the problem involving the nut breaking loose.

Reactions: FatherTo1
Based on all of the damage pictures that have been posted here, I have no doubt that the front mud flaps are needed and I have installed them myself. I am considering getting the PPF for the rear door. However, I have not seen any pictures of damage that the rear mud flaps might have prevented. Have you suffered any rear damage or aware of any that rear mud flaps would have prevented?
I can’t tell you what damage was prevented. It was prevented. I will say that a lot of ice and dirt stayed in the wheel well instead of getting plastered on the rear of the vehicle, which is a pretty fair indicator that they did something worthwhile.

Damn installed the rpm mud flaps and I had the dumb screw that I broke so it was impossible,

I ended up using some resin and hardener and attached it to the screw since the mud flap had the perfect cut out haha its working super well

4AE5E229-F957-419B-9F9B-2FC807C8098F.jpeg
This are mines from rpm Tesla, bought my model Y a week ago, got the mud flaps 5 days later, looks awesome, couldn’t be happier with them.

I have some fairly severe paint damage (Red Multicoat) to both rear doors from driving in the snow this winter. I have 5k miles and less than half of it was in snow. That said I did install front and rear mud flaps ASAP, but by the time I had installed them the damage was done. I went ahead because at this rate the paint would be totally gone next year and it would become a corrosion problem too.
Note that I did not see any damage behind the rear tires so the rear flaps are probably unnecessary.
Another thing to note is that I have some considerable erosion to the leading edge of the rear doors where the PPF does not cover unless it is wrapped around that edge (probably should wrap the bottom edges too).
I cannot seem to be able to upload the pictures but one the rear flares the paint has been eroded through to the base white coat below over several square inches and the edge of the rear passenger door is worn through to the white also..