Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mud flaps & Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will see if turning the front wheel help with clearance, I don’t have a right angle drill bit so probably have to... may be I will wait till it is time to change to winter tires
This is how I installed my Tesla front flaps. Turning the wheel gave additional clearance.

The issue with the Tesla and Rally Armor flaps is the longer length and lowered vehicles. Perfectly fine for stock height but once lowered, there's only about 1" of clearance. I'm scraping on everything, so I need to buy the 3rd party ones that are shorter.

Are there several screws that are used to secure the Rally Armor front mud flaps? Are the screws optional?
My question is a variation of yours - could you use push pin fasteners (similar to what other vendors use) and would they attach the flap as securely as screws? Looks like to install you remove and discard OEM push pins, install the anchors and then the screws.

My question is a variation of yours - could you use push pin fasteners (similar to what other vendors use) and would they attach the flap as securely as screws? Looks like to install you remove and discard OEM push pins, install the anchors and then the screws.
I try to use OEM push pins but it is too short, need longer version which I don’t have on hand. If you have the longer version I think it might work.

This is how I installed my Tesla front flaps. Turning the wheel gave additional clearance.

The issue with the Tesla and Rally Armor flaps is the longer length and lowered vehicles. Perfectly fine for stock height but once lowered, there's only about 1" of clearance. I'm scraping on everything, so I need to buy the 3rd party ones that are shorter.
The RallyArmor ones used very soft material. I don’t think scraping is a concern.

I love the urethane rally armors which I had on my 14 sti hatch. They can take a beating. Because they're so flexible 1in probably is fine but you just need to watch out backing up to make sure you don't run over them if you hit a bump or driveway. Personally I'll probably convert my really armor basics to the new urethane set and redrill for the compensated height again and use extended push clips. I just wish they made a more matte colored version to match the stock cladding.

So what is the consensus on the best mud flap? Please don’t make me read 21 pages of this thread.
There isn't any consensus; the mud flaps that work best at blocking spray from the tires look like big rig truck mud flaps. The mud flaps that look best are not as effective at blocking the splatter. The Tesla mud flaps, although only available for the front wheel wells, are a good compromise IMHO. PPF for the rear doors is highly recommended.

There isn't any consensus; the mud flaps that work best at blocking spray from the tires look like big rig truck mud flaps. The mud flaps that look best are not as effective at blocking the splatter. The Tesla mud flaps, although only available for the front wheel wells, are a good compromise IMHO. PPF for the rear doors is highly recommended.
But I thought everybody is saying the OEM mud flaps keep dragging on the ground when going over speed bumps. True?

But I thought everybody is saying the OEM mud flaps keep dragging on the ground when going over speed bumps. True?
Well there are speed bumps and then then there are speed mountains. Seriously, I have the LR MY and have never noticed the Tesla mud flaps scrape on any speed bump. The suspension on the Performance MY is 1.1" lower than on the LR so there is a greater chance of scraping. The Tesla mud flaps are flexible, if the mud flaps do scrape the material is flexible and it won't damage the mud flap.

Reactions: 73Bruin
Yes it drags. Especially if you have a performance model. It’s a trade off. Better coverage means dragging it over speed bumps. You can choose less coverage for more aero look but you will get some spray from the tires.
You’ll have to decide what works for you in your individual situation. PPF on the rear door will help if you go with a less aggressive mudflap.

How bad do the OEM flaps look?
Once people install then, they won't even notice they're on the car. I took mine off because of the scraping since mine is 1.75" than a stock LR. Only 1" of clearance with the Tesla mud flaps.

Attached is a picture of the clearance on a stock LR with the Tesla mud flaps.

Attachments

• 20210508_155015.jpg
    20210508_155015.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 115