Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red...too flashy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argh. I had chosen red because I looooove it. Then when I had to reconfigure my car I chose the steel grey. I guess I was feeling less flashy that day. Now I am torn again - it's sooooo gorgeous in red, but the steel grey looks grey, too. I'm going to have to mull this over for a day and figure it out - all over again! LOL

My wife and I loved the MC red right from the start, but probably wouldn't have ordered it because she's concerned that if ten cars are speeding, the flashy red one is the one that's going to get the ticket. Then we bought our Model S used and it just happened to be in MC red (wow!). Looking back, I can't imagine having anything other color. The car is beautiful and yes, it stands out, but... Did I mention it's a beautiful car? And you will certainly get a lot of attention with an MC red Tesla.

BTW Merrill, when people talk to me about my car, I frequently reference your description of "arrest me red" in your signature. Seems very appropriate!

My wife and I loved the MC red right from the start, but probably wouldn't have ordered it because she's concerned that if ten cars are speeding, the flashy red one is the one that's going to get the ticket. Then we bought our Model S used and it just happened to be in MC red (wow!). Looking back, I can't imagine having anything other color. The car is beautiful and yes, it stands out, but... Did I mention it's a beautiful car? And you will certainly get a lot of attention with an MC red Tesla.

BTW Merrill, when people talk to me about my car, I frequently reference your description of "arrest me red" in your signature. Seems very appropriate!

Did your fears of extra police attention turn out to be true?

(LMB spouse)

The belief that red cars attract more police attention has come up many times on this forum. See http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/redcars.asp for an alternate view.

LMB's S85 is MC Red, bought sight unseen in 2012. Had to wait several months until Tesla started making them in May 2013, but loves the color. We were both afraid it would be too close to Tesla Red, which is too orange-y for our taste.

Last edited:
I think the "red cars get more police attention" thing has been debunked.

Are you getting the panoramic roof? That makes a big difference to the appearance of the car.

I agonised for a while between the dolphin gray (which my dad preferred), regular white (I live in Texas), red (because I want people to notice how beautiful the car is, and I've never had a red car before) and silver (basically my favourite colour on cars). Went with the silver, which better matches with the alloys and the chrome strip along the side.

But I wanted to make a statement with the car when I got it, and almost chose red because it looks super, super sharp with the 19" wheels and pano roof - it's a red, silver and black car, basically.

If you want red... get it. Park with your regular employees, and not on two spaces :) if you want to eliminate flashiness.

So far no attention from the police, but having said that I have never put a front license plate on most of my cars especially the sports cars. But I did put one on the Tesla just in case, I thought about taking it off and put it in the trunk with the mounting attachments. I thought if I did get pulled over I could say the plate bracket broke and show the policeman, not sure I want to do that.