Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multi-coat red...too flashy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can relate to the OP's concerns. I am one of the youngest physicians in my group and didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention in the docs' parking lot so I got the grey instead of the red, also in part because I didn't get to see the MC red before I had to finalize my order. I'm happy with the grey but when I saw the red my jaw dropped. The OP's concerns about how his staff will view him are quite valid in my opinion. In the end, though, ask yourself which is worse: regretting getting the red because it's too flashy, or regretting not getting the red because you're not as happy with whatever non-red color you chose? I say get the red. Ditto to the poster who said YOLO.

I can relate to the OP's concerns. I am one of the youngest physicians in my group and didn't want to attract any unnecessary attention in the docs' parking lot so I got the grey instead of the red, also in part because I didn't get to see the MC red before I had to finalize my order. I'm happy with the grey but when I saw the red my jaw dropped. The OP's concerns about how his staff will view him are quite valid in my opinion. In the end, though, ask yourself which is worse: regretting getting the red because it's too flashy, or regretting not getting the red because you're not as happy with whatever non-red color you chose? I say get the red. Ditto to the poster who said YOLO.

Agree....I was fortunate to see before I selected color and as slightly less-young physician could care less what my colleagues thought about the color of my car :eek:

For those of you who have both taken the Tesla Factory Tour, and seen the Multi-Coat Red in person: Does the Multi-Red look like the red color of the Tesla Factory robots?

A vibrant red color does seem a bit flashy to me, but the color does appear to represent Tesla Motors in a way.

A tad flashy but I love it.
DSCN273922222.jpg

Late afternoon shot with lots of shadows.
DSCN2763222.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2763222.jpg
    DSCN2763222.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
The robot's are a deeper shade of red, I ordered the red sight unseen. As soon as Tesla had a new red in the showroom I drove to look at it and new I made the right decision. I have had several red cars, but the multi-coat red is stunning, I have posted before on the fact that some feel it is to flashy. I have had my car for several months and everywhere we go I get comments and no one has said anything other than how beautiful the red is. It is very a very personal decision, not for everyone but love the red.

A few months ago I was at the Fremont service center having a couple of things done. There were four or five of the red Model S's outside, near the entrance. They were very bright - definitely a CHiP's attractor. Obviously, color choice is very personal. I personally like the signature red - someone near where I live has one and I have seen it a few times.

Again, a very personal choice. When I first started looking at the Model S, the multi-coat red hadn't been announced yet. I loved the entire concept of the car, but none of the available colors wowed me (the Signature Red was nice, but they'd all been spoken for and would have been out of my $ range anyway). I was leaning towards the dark grey as the color I figured I could live with when Tesla announced the multi-coat red. I fell in love instantly. Even though the Model S is a big car, that particular red just "works." I placed my order, even though it mean additional agonizing months of waiting since the red wouldn't be shipping for a while (and they decided to charge an additional $1,500 for the color, which annoyed me a bit).

I've had my car since May of last year and I, personally, haven't regretted my color choice for a moment. It truly does look different depending on whether you're looking at it under the bright fluorescents of a garage, in direct sunlight, in shade, even in the rain. It's like having a different car depending on the weather and there have been multiple times where I've just stopped and looked at the color, amazed at how different it can look.

I work at a relatively small company and have definitely the "flashiest" car in the parking lot, and everyone knows who owns the Tesla. But, more than anything, the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, I've been shocked at the number of co-workers who have congratulated me on getting it - the general sense I've gotten is that they don't have a problem with it because they know I've been here a long time, I've worked my way up, and have worked hard for it (at least, that's what they say to my face ;-) ). This was an upgrade from a Honda CR-V (and a VW New Beetle before that), so throwing my money around isn't exactly something I'd been known for.

Long story short, get the color you want and be happy. I still marvel in my Model S every single day and I haven't experienced a moment's regret. It's a marvelous machine and a glimpse of the future. My advice, FWIW: buy it, enjoy it, and try not to think about what others think.

I was all settled on the blue. I had been doing configurations for months, and was totally satisfied with my choice. Then, at a dark intersection one night I was passed by a Tesla that was blue or black or green or brown... I couldn't tell at all.

The next configuration I tried was the multi-coat red that I'd also thought was too flashy. It was perfect, and I never looked back. The first time I saw that color in real life was on delivery day. My wife and I saw it waiting for us.