Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Multiple Car Owners: Did you Keep/Use Other ICE car(s)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2008 Tahoe Hybrid - kept it because I need to tow my boat and for the mountain passes in the winter to get to my cabin. But it sure doesn't get much use these days. I start it up every week or so just until the ICE shuts down to make sure the hybrid battery is charged.

We kept our Highlander and use it for trips that are:

-nowhere near a Supercharger route and needing to occur too quickly for destination or campground charging
-to pick up materials or supplies that I'm unwilling to put in the Tesla (e.g., building supplies)
-to take the dog somewhere (80 lb dog not allowed in Tesla)
-taking my wife and me in separate directions.

between these conditions, there's enough need to keep the Highlander around.

Our 85D is replacing the previous family car, a '03 Volvo V40 T4 which drove us for 160k miles across continents and it will be most likely be gone in September.

And after driving my wife's TMS over the summer, I can only think that the next move will to replace my 996 Turbo by the Performance version of the model 3 ....

The only ICE that will probably remain in the family is a '99 Lotus Elise which is setup for trackdays. Mainly because it's fun unlike any other car I have ever driven and to give a chance to my son, who is turning 8, to drive one of those antiques ICE one day.

While I prefer to only drive my 85D, my wife still likes her Toyota Avalon Hybrid. We use it on trips from Indy to Louisville (280 mile round trip and no supercharger in L'ville) to see our grandchildren. As the supercharger network becomes more built out, we might consider replacing the Avalon with a Model 3 or another S. Recent trip to Pittsburgh took nearly 2 hours longer with 85D than Avalon would have. When time is not a factor will stick with Tesla for road trips, but for now may still prefer the ICE for some of them.

Not only did we keep an ICE (F150 that I use for when hunting), we're now buying another one. We adopted a dog (total of 3 now) and need something that is well suited for dog duties (especially for road trips to our house up the coast). Our P85D is ok for two dogs, but it just isn't a good vehicle for two adult humans and three dogs. All things equal, there was no way any EV could equal the value of the car we're getting (a 2016 VW Sportwagen diesel). At $23k for the VW, it's an easy call. No EV approaches that kind of value/utility.

[+] How many of you kept another ICE car after getting the Model S? Did the reasons you had before getting the Tesla bear out?
Also a family of 4. Kept the ICE SUV. Wife drives it to the bus stop in the mornings. It is no longer the family car. Keeping it at least past winter, to see how the Tesla does in the cold, and then we'll decide if we're going to trade it in for something smaller ICE or a Leaf.

[+] What were the specific reasons over the long term which may have supported keeping the ICE?
There are a few supercharging holes next to us.... either need to keep an ICE or rent an ICE for the very rare times we'll need to go there.

[+] What split of daily/routine driving between Tesla and other ICE?
I drive the Tesla everywhere. We run errands in it. It's the family car. The ICE SUV used to be the family/errand car, the ICE is now only to/from bus commuting and hauling large items to not mess up the Tesla.

You might want to have Rocklin Service check that out ...
Haha, I will do that and tell them Bonnie sent me! :tongue:

The Tesla replaces the Volt as my daily driver.
We planned on this too, but driving the Volt while it was up for sale turned us into a three car family. We actually turned down a near full price offer for the Volt. Now our ICE now sits around like a boat waiting for an occasional drive or bath...

Currently keeping my 2012 Subaru Outback until the center of the US "hole" in the supercharger network is filled in. Most of my driving is in the 0 - 100 miles per day range and frequently at the lower end of that range. Thus the model S is great for most of my driving -- but there is a road trip I might want to take around January next year that if I do, I will probably need to use the ICE.

Have his and hers Model S as well as a Roadster, Leaf and my Sparrow, but kept our 2001 minivan for hauling things including towing. The van has also been used by my sister in law while she is in the USA. She has made several long trips with it and put way more miles on it than we have over the last few years. The Model X would fill that need, but I am at least a couple of years away from making that plunge.

I've kept two ICE cars, my Porsche 911 and a Toyota Supra TT. I'm actively moving to sell the 911 now. I want to keep the Supra, but I may end up selling it as well. My wife claims she should own as many cats as I do cars, which is a motivating factor.