Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.

An MCU2 replacement for MCU1 cars is currently in testing at Tesla and still will be for the next few weeks. After it passes, Tesla may start production before announcing it. They may also release the upgrade for some configurations before others (for example HW 2.5 vs HW 2.0 or pre AP). Don’t bother your service center about it. They won’t know until it gets released.

Great news! Wonder how long until AP1 will get on the upgrade list... and of course how much they'll charge.

Aw crap. If that’s true, what are we going to carp about now?

That is fantastic ! Thank you.

Reactions: Gary and Rachel

I asked for the upgrade early today, and Tesla cancelled my service but they replied "... Also MCU upgrade is not available at this time. Once it becomes available we will start scheduling for the upgrade."

Source?

Sad that this very good news is accompanied by a prediction that 2.0 owners will probably miss out at least initially. Sounds like the HW3 upgrade:rolleyes:

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
I had a service appointment last week to fix the yellow band on our MCU1 display. I cancelled the appointment when the Service Center told us their machine to fix the display was broken, and they had no estimate when the machine will be fixed.

Rather than fixing our MCU1 display - would make much more sense to replace the display during an MCU2 upgrade...

Very good to hear!

Any additional insight if the upgrade of the AP computer from 2.0/2.5 → 3+ will be impacted by this? (I'm assuming the answer is "no" as I think (?) the AP system is completely independent from MCU1.)

If the AP system is completely independent then why are only MCU2 AP2.5 cars being offered the upgrade to HW3? MCU1 AP2.5 should be getting the same upgrade right now if it was a completely independent system. If it indeed is linked somehow, the MCU2 upgrade needs to be upgraded for FSD buyers.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
If the AP system is completely independent then why are only MCU2 AP2.5 cars being offered the upgrade to HW3? MCU1 AP2.5 should be getting the same upgrade right now if it was a completely independent system. If it indeed is linked somehow, the MCU2 upgrade needs to be upgraded for FSD buyers.

The idea that they aren't connected is untrue. Based on what green said the issue is mcu1 not being able do all of the visualisations on the IC. That being said. I think it is taking a long time because they to build a new software version of FSD for mcu1

The idea that they aren't connected is untrue. Based on what green said the issue is mcu1 not being able do all of the visualisations on the IC. That being said. I think it is taking a long time because they to build a new software version of FSD for mcu1

Id rather they just provide an upgrade path to MCU 2. Id happily pay for an upgrade.
MCU1 FSD HW 2.0 owner here.

I hope they don't do this. It's a terrible (great?) way to keep the fleet fragmented. It really hurts those of us that keep our cars more than 3 years. How long will they develop separate software for MCU1 before giving up and writing it off. I say about 3 to 6 months from today.