Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Entitled Rich Whiners Storm Tesla Stores Because Vehicle Web Browser is Slow

Film at 11

Yep, I’m sure this will get you exactly what you want. Media coverage of petulant whiners staging a sit-in over a problem 99.998% of the world can’t relate to.

I do admit though, I’d tune in at 11 to watch. I’d love to see some of the MCU1 whiners on the news explaining their deep and personal betrayal.

It takes no effort at all to be judgmental does it ?

If a group does stage something, they’d better decide exactly what their message is and reduce it to understandable and relatable sound bytes. Because a lot of diverse gripes are being conflated in this thread.

I have zero sympathy regarding the eMMC issue, even though I’m probably affected at some point. Tesla will fix any failures under warranty. Post warranty repair price is now <$1500. There are 3rd party fixes available for less.

I have zero sympathy regarding slow web browser. The web browser is a nice to have in a car, but even the MCU2 one is not suitable for any but lightest use. Get a laptop. Or a chrome book for a few $hundred.

again, zero sympathy regarding missing functions like cinema streaming. Sorry, a feature got added to later model year car. Happens all the time.

I’ve got a lot of sympathy for those who can demonstrate their AP functions are hampered. If Tesla sold AP and it now requires MCU2 to function properly, they should provide the upgrade.

choose your battles and be articulate, or you WILL look like whiners.

I have zero sympathy regarding slow web browser. The web browser is a nice to have in a car, but even the MCU2 one is not suitable for any but lightest use. Get a laptop. Or a chrome book for a few $hundred.

I’ve got a lot of sympathy for those who can demonstrate their AP functions are hampered. If Tesla sold AP and it now requires MCU2 to function properly, they should provide the upgrade.

These two points conflict with one another. Many here will argue that they also bought a car with a functioning web browser and it has since been broken due to firmware updates.

Even the point about future functionality not garnering any sympathy is a thin line. When I went to buy my car, I was told that the car comes with free OTA updates such that I could gain new features as they were being developed. No one told me that these would stop at some arbitrary point in time. Even though others were still getting the updates.

Even the point about future functionality not garnering any sympathy is a thin line. When I went to buy my car, I was told that the car comes with free OTA updates such that I could gain new features as they were being developed. No one told me that these would stop at some arbitrary point in time. Even though others were still getting the updates.

I’m not sure your wishful thinking about how hardware support works in a world where computing capability regularly progresses is Tesla’s fault. Your expectations were unrealistic and had no grounding in any current reality.

I’m not sure your wishful thinking about how hardware support works in a world where computing capability regularly progresses is Tesla’s fault. Your expectations were unrealistic and had no grounding in any current reality.
I would agree normally but it probably doesn't help that they keep throwing stuff we don't need onto an already overloaded MCU. (Farts, games, etc.) The things that came with my car upon delivery hardly work anymore. Even Bluetooth crashes anytime I try pairing my phone.

These two points conflict with one another. Many here will argue that they also bought a car with a functioning web browser and it has since been broken due to firmware updates.

1) Thank you for sending a reply. Several others have disagreed with my post without taking the time to explain their logic.

2) I don't agree that the points conflict. If you bought AP, you paid a considerable amount extra for a ballyhooed feature that has largely been futures. In my mind, if Telsa provides AP functions that you paid - say - $5,000 for, and they cannot function because of your old MCU, then they should upgrade you or refund your $5,000. However, for the run of the mill enhancements (like cinema for example) that are NOT an itemized upcharge, IMO Tesla has every right to offer new functionality that is only supported under current hardware generation. You should expect updates, sure! And, as an owner since 2012, I've gotten a ton of them and appreciated every one. But it is not right to handcuff the manufacturer and expect backwards compatibility on every new feature that was not explicitly paid for when we purchased the car. Do you see the difference?

My earlier post was admonishing a group that was discussing a "MCU day" event at Tesla service centers, suggesting that they had better have a sharp message that would pass the "whiner" detector of the average person. I stand by that. In fact, I double down. At this point, 6 people have "disagreed" with my post. I urge any and all of them to come forward with the specific talking points they propose for this protest. I'll gladly help them sharpen the points! No fee!

1) Thank you for sending a reply. Several others have disagreed with my post without taking the time to explain their logic.

2) I don't agree that the points conflict. If you bought AP, you paid a considerable amount extra for a ballyhooed feature that has largely been futures. In my mind, if Telsa provides AP functions that you paid - say - $5,000 for, and they cannot function because of your old MCU, then they should upgrade you or refund your $5,000. However, for the run of the mill enhancements (like cinema for example) that are NOT an itemized upcharge, IMO Tesla has every right to offer new functionality that is only supported under current hardware generation. You should expect updates, sure! And, as an owner since 2012, I've gotten a ton of them and appreciated every one. But it is not right to handcuff the manufacturer and expect backwards compatibility on every new feature that was not explicitly paid for when we purchased the car. Do you see the difference?

My earlier post was admonishing a group that was discussing a "MCU day" event at Tesla service centers, suggesting that they had better have a sharp message that would pass the "whiner" detector of the average person. I stand by that. In fact, I double down. At this point, 6 people have "disagreed" with my post. I urge any and all of them to come forward with the specific talking points they propose for this protest. I'll gladly help them sharpen the points! No fee!
I didn’t disagree, though will point out that your response covered many areas: eMMC, browser, missing post-sale functionality, and AP. Just given the spectrum of emotions and opinions on those you have a high likelihood of someone disagreeing with at least one of these points.

I do have sympathy on eMMC, as I believe the lifetime of the mcu was unduly affected by vehement logging and lack of consideration of the memory tech. This is a learning, though was well known before tesla enforced less logging. A 4 year mtbf for an automotive part is unacceptable to me, though more rankling to me is that this is/was a known issue that affects safety subsystems; insult is added to proverbial insult as there is still no proactive resolution to customers who have failing units.
My hope and expectation would be Tesla reaches out to customers whose unacceptable wear level triggers are being tripped, ie give them an option - even out of warranty - so they can make an informed decision rather than be left stranded or at risk.

I didn’t disagree, though will point out that your response covered many areas: eMMC, browser, missing post-sale functionality, and AP. Just given the spectrum of emotions and opinions on those you have a high likelihood of someone disagreeing with at least one of these points.

I do have sympathy on eMMC, as I believe the lifetime of the mcu was unduly affected by vehement logging and lack of consideration of the memory tech. This is a learning, though was well known before tesla enforced less logging. A 4 year mtbf for an automotive part is unacceptable to me, though more rankling to me is that this is/was a known issue that affects safety subsystems; insult is added to proverbial insult as there is still no proactive resolution to customers who have failing units.
My hope and expectation would be Tesla reaches out to customers whose unacceptable wear level triggers are being tripped, ie give them an option - even out of warranty - so they can make an informed decision rather than be left stranded or at risk.
Thanks Mike. I guess my point was that the thread covers all those many areas and more... and if a significant number of owners participate in the suggested protest, it is likely they will show up for different reasons with different stories and will not come across as a unified group. Which will detract from (if not negate) the desired effect.

So, what's the simple story? The one that will elicit sympathy from an uninformed person, put pressure on Tesla if the press picks it up, and can be expressed in a simple sentence or two? I haven't heard it yet. As soon as I hear eMMC, I know it will lose an uniformed audience. How would I say it to a six year old?

Reactions: StarLog and MikeBur
So, what's the simple story?
Simply that Elon tweeted, at least 5 times, that we could pay to upgrade the MCU, and that we want Tesla to make good on his word.
How much simpler can it get?

However, given that Elon said in December that it would be available in "a few months", I do believe that a bit more patience is called for. It is my opinion that Tesla has a good reason to delay it in order to complete the HW3 upgrades for all Model 3 and Raven Model S/X first, in order not to overburden the service centers with too much at one time.

Last edited:
However, given that Elon said in December that it would be available in "a few months", I do believe that a bit more patience is called for. It is my opinion that Tesla has a good reason to delay it in order to complete the HW3 upgrades for all Model 3 and Raven Model S/X first, in order not to overburden the service centers with too much at one time.

Of course the question Elon was answering in the last tweet was: "Also any update on upgrading mcu1/ap2.0 Model S to FSD computer?" So not about a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade at all.

Simply that Elon tweeted, at least 5 times, that we could pay to upgrade the MCU, and that we want Tesla to make good on his word.

All those tweets make me so sad. I think my car is due for EMMC failure in about a year, really would rather pay for a MCU2 out of warranty instead of refurbished MCU1

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks Mike. I guess my point was that the thread covers all those many areas and more... and if a significant number of owners participate in the suggested protest, it is likely they will show up for different reasons with different stories and will not come across as a unified group. Which will detract from (if not negate) the desired effect.
Agreed.

So, what's the simple story? The one that will elicit sympathy from an uninformed person, put pressure on Tesla if the press picks it up, and can be expressed in a simple sentence or two? I haven't heard it yet. As soon as I hear eMMC, I know it will lose an uniformed audience. How would I say it to a six year old?
I believe very little will relate to an uninformed Tesla owner unless it is fear-mongering, and even less will be relatable to a non-Tesla owner.
Despite what some still believe, or wish for, Tesla is no longer dependent on the evangelical direct influencers to sell its products. They simply have a superior product to their competitors and are benefiting from the new customers being by the hype through the time of purchase. This appears proven by the move to social media influencers and evangelical media outlets combined with removal of significant incentive referral program

nett: the simple story would like have to be “the reality of the hype and unfulfilled promises”. This could list all the “promises” via twitter, original articles and launches, etc. compared with the actual ownership experience. Although it would have to be objective, everyone would read it through their own reality distortion filter, so it will be polarizing,
I would hope the conclusion most would agree on would be: Tesla are an innovative company who is unafraid to break rules to get things done, they overpromise and though what they deliver is less than they promise it is still more than anyone else still.
Could Tesla do more to explain the gaps and issues? Absolutely.
Will they try? Empirically, yes.
Will they make everyone happy? Empirically, no.
Do they need to? No.
Is this frustrating and a little disheartening to have the hype bubble burst? yep.
Customers need to buy products on what they see now or understand that the aspirational future statements from Elon are with best intent and in an ideal world, with no higher priorities, would get more traction. They are NOT promises.

I do believe that a bit more patience is called for. It is my opinion that Tesla has a good reason to delay it in order to complete the HW3 upgrades for all Model 3 and Raven Model S/X first, in order not to overburden the service centers with too much at one time.
FYI, the Model Y is the pin to burst this reality bubble. It is a tidal wave coming and as a very low 5 digital LR 3 owner, we still don’t have FSD computer upgrade yet, though I know I have my own reality distortion bubble here...

Of course the question Elon was answering in the last tweet was: "Also any update on upgrading mcu1/ap2.0 Model S to FSD computer?" So not about a MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade at all.
Although the word semantics are correct, I would be surprised if one could be achieved without the other. It’s been proven the upgrade can occur. Similar to battery upgrades, even when proven does not make this a reality,

All those tweets make me so sad. I think my car is due for EMMC failure in about a year, really would rather pay for a MCU2 out of warranty instead of refurbished MCU1
I would hope it’s an option too. The good news is that with less logging the time to failure is on a shallower curve, rather than based on data to date. Just keep aware of the symptoms, and understand Tesla won’t replace until catastrophic failure under warranty so far - arguments of using wear indicators to proactively address are moot at this point.

Last edited:

Then take my money and give me a date. I’m happy(ish) with Jan 4 2021 or whatever far off date. I’m not happy being told yes on twitter and No by the service center.

Among the faithful, Elon's tweets are scripture; and, as such, are open to many interpretations.

I wonder when we will suffer scism into various denominations, characterized by those who read his tweets literally, those who take them as metaphor of deeper truths, and so on.

Last edited: