Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla infotainment system upgradeable from MCU1 to MCU2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm unable to locate the “Data Sharing” setting... can you elaborate? Thanks
On my X it is under "Safety & Security" ... here:
wDgQe3h.jpg

Any rumors on a MCU 2.1? If I were Tesla I would wait to build the new MCU with 5G until I could get the new die shrink of the intel processor used for automotive that it is currently in MCU2, not to be faster but simply lower power and lower heat. I might also add blank solder points for the early MCU1.0 connectors if there was any chance that is cheaper than using retrofit connector adapters.

The Intel Atom E8000 embedded series was launched in Q1 2016 so it isn't inconceivable that Tesla would be testing a likely replacement now. I assume the pinout will be the same, maybe the chipset as well.

Regardless of OEM retrofits, eventually Tesla will be pushed by 5G bandwidth price breaks to incrementally update MCU2.

Why would they use someone else's 5G when they can use their "own" network of Starlink?

MCU2 can now record dash cam footage with rear camera and overwrite old files. MCU1 keeps falling further behind. My car was built March 2018, no reason for a car under 2 years old to have a UI feel this slow.

Would it be possible to organise a "MCU Upgrade event", where owners in every city show up at the dealerships, and complain about the lack of a unit that Musk has repeatedly said we could have? The idea here is twofold. First, to call attention to the fact that it should be upgraded/upgradable. Second, to embarrass Tesla so they have more incentive to act as they've already said they would. Any suggestions for a day that it can happen?

Would it be possible to organise a "MCU Upgrade event", where owners in every city show up at the dealerships, and complain about the lack of a unit that Musk has repeatedly said we could have? The idea here is twofold. First, to call attention to the fact that it should be upgraded/upgradable. Second, to embarrass Tesla so they have more incentive to act as they've already said they would. Any suggestions for a day that it can happen?

Oh man that is a hilarious idea. Everyone show up on a Saturday. Would not be a good look for them

• Funny
Reactions: Cheburashka
Oh man that is a hilarious idea. Everyone show up on a Saturday. Would not be a good look for them

Right. Especially if press was invited. It certainly worked for Storm Area 51.

But I don't mean it as an idea. We can and should do it. Seriously, if Musk can build Tesla as a company at the same time as SpaceX, Neuralink and Boring Company, 1000 people here should be able to arrange a complaint event.

Reactions: Superendo
Right. Especially if press was invited. It certainly worked for Storm Area 51.

But I don't mean it as an idea. We can and should do it. Seriously, if Musk can build Tesla as a company at the same time as SpaceX, Neuralink and Boring Company, 1000 people here should be able to arrange a complaint event.

Ok. I'll talk to my local Tesla Owners Club, and see if they'll market it. I don't really know if the group is an arm of Tesla or if they're actually an owners club. This would obviously benefit one of those groups more than the other.

I think each location needs 3 people committed to attend. Thats enough that it could accomplish the goal, and so that others wouldn't feel shy about attending too.

When is the Battery Presentation? The ideal situation might be to target the week before or after that. That would allow for more Tesla articles to flow more naturally, either drawing people to read about Tesla or speaking in with the idea that Tesla has great batteries, BUT... Owners still have concerns.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll talk to my local Tesla Owners Club, and see if they'll market it. I don't really know if the group is an arm of Tesla or if they're actually an owners club. This would obviously benefit one of those groups more than the other.

I think each location needs 3 people committed to attend. Thats enough that it could accomplish the goal, and so that others wouldn't feel shy about attending too.

When is the Battery Presentation? The ideal situation might be to target the week before or after that. That would allow for more Tesla articles to flow more naturally, either drawing people to read about Tesla or speaking in with the idea that Tesla has great batteries, BUT... They still have concerns.

Should we make tshirts that just say. "you can"

• Funny
Reactions: turtlesz
Should we make tshirts that just say. "you can"

The messaging should be consistent.

Tesla claims that its vehicles will last for more than a decade. As owners, we believe that to be true. In this instance, Tesla seems to be deliberately restricting older vehicles from being upgraded to allow the use of current technology for no reason.

Someone smarter than me can come up with a better way to word that, but that should be the clear, concise message that everyone starts with at every location, everywhere.

Entitled Rich Whiners Storm Tesla Stores Because Vehicle Web Browser is Slow

Film at 11

Yep, I’m sure this will get you exactly what you want. Media coverage of petulant whiners staging a sit-in over a problem 99.998% of the world can’t relate to.

I do admit though, I’d tune in at 11 to watch. I’d love to see some of the MCU1 whiners on the news explaining their deep and personal betrayal.

Entitled Rich Whiners Storm Tesla Stores Because Vehicle Web Browser is Slow

Film at 11

Yep, I’m sure this will get you exactly what you want. Media coverage of petulant whiners staging a sit-in over a problem 99.998% of the world can’t relate to.

I do admit though, I’d tune in at 11 to watch. I’d love to see some of the MCU1 whiners on the news explaining their deep and personal betrayal.

That's fair, and certainly worth bearing in mind. But so is the idea that Tesla earns environmental cred for building an EV even though 100% of them have a known problem that will end with a basically bricked car, and the only solution offered is to replace it with the identical part rather than installing one that will completely fix the problem. PLUS it's outdated for no reason.