Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says ‘Major Navigation Overhaul’ Coming in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018.

Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.”

Pressed for more information, he said, “Major navigation overhaul coming in early 2018. Will be light-years ahead of current system, but we are testing it rigorously before rolling out.”

Some updates in Tesla’s software code have hinted at an update to the maps system. TMC member and Tesla hacker verygreen discovered several interesting developments in Tesla’s software related to maps. For instance, code included in the 2017.44 software update enabled “vector maps.” He noted, “The looks are mostly the same, but it allows you to zoom quite a bit more and friends that tried it in-motion report much smoother operation + higher detailed maps on the big screen.”

What would you like to see in a maps update?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
The delay on full autonomy isn’t just software related. It’s also legislation dependent and the US Congress hasn’t passed the proper laws to allow this nor have the individual states. That’s what we’re waiting on.
As long as there is a driver in the car in the driver's seat, I don't think that there is any legislation that would keep Tesla from releasing FSD now. I believe the legislation issue is for driverless cars.

As long as there is a driver in the car in the driver's seat, I don't think that there is any legislation that would keep Tesla from releasing FSD now. I believe the legislation issue is for driverless cars.

But then that's not "Full Self Driving", it's "Fool Self Driving."

If the driver is required to be in the driver's seat and still responsible for all actions of the car, it's far far from the FSD promised from Tesla (see below).

Sure, they could release the features that comprise of what will eventually be FSD, but they can't call that "Full Self Driving".. they can really only call it "driver assistance driving".

upload_2017-12-23_16-44-29.png

But then that's not "Full Self Driving", it's "Fool Self Driving."

If the driver is required to be in the driver's seat and still responsible for all actions of the car, it's far far from the FSD promised from Tesla (see below).

Sure, they could release the features that comprise of what will eventually be FSD, but they can't call that "Full Self Driving".. they can really only call it "driver assistance driving".
If you read the third sentence it says, "The system is designed to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat."

It then says that you can get out of the car and the car will go and park itself, and a tap on the phone will bring the car back to you. This is where the approved legislation may been needed.

Tesla has also talked about the Tesla Network where you can subscribe to it and your car will be used as a driverless taxi, and the car returning before you need to drive home. This definitely needs extremely reliable FSD and legislation approval.

I agree with your Fool Self Driving. We have waited a long time and unfortunately we may have to wait a lot longer to get full FSD. It would be great to have the the Nav system route you onto the next interstate instead of having to cancel Autopilot and then re-engage it when you are on the new highway.

• Helpful
Reactions: J Roc
If you read the third sentence it says, "The system is designed to conduct short and long distance trips with no action required by the person in the driver's seat."

Right, but the assertion is that the person in the driver's seat does not have to pay attention or "take over at any time."

People who believed the Fool Self Driving rhetoric were told that yeah, you can do your email or read a book while the Fool is driving.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said today that a “major navigation overhaul” is coming to Tesla vehicles in 2018. Retweeting a TMC post, Musk teased “some cool software updates.” Glad to see that Tesla owners are having a good experience. Working to improve further. Some cool software updates coming soon. Tesla Motors Club on Twitter — Elon Musk (@elonmusk) December...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2017/12/21/musk-says-major-navigation-overhaul-coming-in-2018/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]
There are several things that didn't have system needs that I haven't heard about it being discussed number one: the nav screen should display elevation (optional). Also, there should be a button we can push to mark our position (latitude/longitude). We also need a way to enter latitude and longitude and then navigate to it (waypoints). Does anyone know who we could suggest these things to to get them Included in the Tesla vehicles?

There are several things that didn't have system needs that I haven't heard about it being discussed number one: the nav screen should display elevation (optional). Also, there should be a button we can push to mark our position (latitude/longitude). We also need a way to enter latitude and longitude and then navigate to it (waypoints). Does anyone know who we could suggest these things to to get them Included in the Tesla vehicles?

Net elevation across a route along with relative wind speed (at least head on, but crosswind sensors would be nice) would be helpful. As long as we're talking about pie in the sky features. Compensating for that information in real time would be even better.

There is some reason to believe that elevation is accounted for by Nav but speed is absolutely not. Unless you drive at 60mph or so, adjustments will have to be made. I would simply prefer that instead of being told "Good to go" at between +7%-13% regardless, that a more cogent "Good to go" is calculated based at least upon average speed from the last leg. Would greatly reduce those "slow down to 65/55/45mph to not get stranded messages 10 minutes after getting underway.

One of these already exists. Touch a place on the screen and hold for a second or two... up pops a menu asking if you want to navigate there or make it a favorite.

The Galileo gps system is already working Is Tesla going to use this system? Much improved over the existing GPS system.

Word is that Tesla uses the NEO-M8L navigation module, which supports the four major GNSS networks (using up to three of them concurrently) as well as four regional GNSS augmentation systems. Users should already be getting metre-level accuracy if they live in an augmentation system coverage area. (Namely, North America is covered by WAAS and Europe is covered by EGNOS.)

One small additional requirement: that the Navigation System does not get lost in long tunnels by assuming one is actually on the pass road above, thereby producing continuos senseless voice commands. Most 99 Sollar / Euros Nav Systems can do that, I do not understand why Tesla wouldn’t.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Elon says many things that are never delivered. My 2015 AP 1.0 is still missing features that will obviously never be delivered. It will be the same with FSD. Forget ever getting FSD on the current hardware. They may eventually deliver some "enhanced" AP features but it is a complete fail since leaving mobile eye so far.

Maybe there will be a Christmas miracle for 2018. I would love to be wrong so I could buy a M3 to replace the 70 before it hits 100k miles.