Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Musk Says Supercharging Network to Double Next Year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk announced a major expansion of the Supercharging network by the end of 2019.

Musk said Tesla Supercharger capacity will double by the end of next year. He said the network “will be within range of 95% to 100% of population in all active markets.”

Tesla’s website currently shows 11,414 chargers in all active markets, which is short of the company’s goal for 18,000 Superchargers around the world by the end of this year. So, double the current number would put 23,000 Superchargers in service around this time next year.

Musk also said that the next generation of the company’s fast-charging stations called Supercharger V3 will start rolling out “early next year.”

Musk also said the charge rate would be “much faster.” Tesla executives have suggested that the charge rate for the next Supercharger’s will be about 250 kW.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: outdoors
What is left unsaid is the allocation of these Superchargers.

--Completely new locations along highways that are essentially void of Superchargers, like I-94 and I-29. This opens up new territory for us.

--Expansion of existing locations to ease congestion but does not really augment the existing network.

--Installation of the new urbancharger style that also would ease congestion among the locals but again, would not do much to augment the network

--Infilling longer stretches of existing highways to increase the charging opportunities and planning but not necessarily expanding the area accessible by us.

--Establishing charging plazas with lounges and refreshments like Kettleman City to accommodate not only passenger vehicles but the semis as well that would be along heavily-traveled routes. These might have the V3 Superchargers to start with.

As usual, much of the construction of Superchargers is out of Tesla's hands. Permitting, utility, local approval, and adequate locations with reasonable rent frequently derail their best intentions.

Personally, if they could increase the new locations (not stalls) by 25% and expand another 25% to handle congestion, I would consider that a victory in 2019.

This will be at least the third year running that Tesla have said this.
Tesla has actually done this (wikipedia):

In October 2014, there were 119 standard Tesla Supercharger stations operating in the United States, 76 in Europe, and 26 in Asia.[1] On 31 March 2016, Tesla CEO Elon Musk announced that the number of Supercharger stations would be doubled (from 613 stations with 3,628 chargers) by 2017.[27] As of November 2017, Tesla operates 7,320 superchargers in 1,063 stations worldwide;[1] these included 443 stations in the U.S., 31 in Canada, 6 in Mexico, 353 in Europe, and 230 in the Asia/Pacific region.[28]

The number of Supercharger stations grew to
280 by the end of 2014;
584 by the end of 2015;
623 as of April 2016; ~875 expected in 2016
1,045 Supercharger stations worldwide 2017

from original posted article:
"Tesla’s website currently shows 11,414 chargers in all active markets, which is short of the company’s goal for 18,000 Superchargers around the world by the end of this year. So, double the current number would put 23,000 Superchargers in service around this time next year." [2019]
find chargers with this link:
Supercharger | Tesla

I think the only other automaker installing chargers is VW as part of the diesel scandal - right?

Open Charge Map - About Open Charge Map
135236 charging stations across 67112 locations.

side note: Some of Wall St. almost screaming for Tesla profits - what do they say when Tesla invests in chargers?

Last edited:
Reactions: jboy210
The thing I am hoping for is that they will open their eyes to the routes that are federal US highways that are not interstate highways. Out in the Mountain West area, US 20, 95, and 93 are all significant routes that are not Interstates that still need coverage.

Reactions: rhumbliner
The thing I am hoping for is that they will open their eyes to the routes that are federal US highways that are not interstate highways. Out in the Mountain West area, US 20, 95, and 93 are all significant routes that are not Interstates that still need coverage.

Rocky, I applaud your persistence and your determination to get Tesla to think outside the interstate highway network and selected other through highways to get Superchargers in Burns, McDermott, John Day, Ely, Jackpot, and Wells, among others. Perhaps toss in Grangeville or Lewiston to the north just for fun.

We really do not know Tesla's motivation and criteria for Supercharger placement in locations that are not along the major routes. For example, Burns makes sense to you because you frequent places in Oregon that are south of the Portland area. No argument. But Burns would primarily serve only east-west traffic because US395 has nothing today between Reno and Pendleton. I would hope that Tesla is thinking more globally and would place Superchargers on US395 at Susanville, Lakeview or Alturas, and Burns. Enabling travel to and from all directions is a better use of the network rather than a sole location that only serves one direction.

Notice he said "double supercharger capacity" - that could mean getting twice as many cars through, i.e. SCs that charge twice as fast!
caveat - it isn't just the SuperCharger - it also depends on the batteries and pack taking in the charge.
proof? 2008-2012 Roadster can't use current SuperChargers

But you have a good point - technology is still changing and Elon/JB well aware of capacitors. interesting future.

Blue Highways - campgrounds/destination charging - implying that on those routes you are smelling roses vs time trials.:D