Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Musk Touts ‘Quantum Leap” in Full Self-Driving Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

A “quantum leap” improvement is coming to Tesla’s Autopilot software in six to 10 weeks, Chief Executive Elon Musk said a tweet.

Musk called the new software a “fundamental architectural rewrite, not an incremental tweak.”

Musk said his personal car is running a “bleeding edge alpha build” of the software, which he also mentioned during Tesla’s Q2 earnings. 

“So it’s almost getting to the point where I can go from my house to work with no interventions, despite going through construction and widely varying situations,” Musk said on the earnings call. “So this is why I am very confident about full self-driving functionality being complete by the end of this year, is because I’m literally driving it.”

Tesla’s Full Self-Driving software has been slow to roll out against the company’s promises. Musk previously said a Tesla would drive from Los Angeles to New York using the Full Self Driving feature by the end of 2019. The company didn’t meet that goal. So, it will be interesting to see the state of Autopilot at the end of 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is DOJO to you? Serious question. From your words it seems like some magic potion or secret sauce...
I think you're implying a lot from my comment? DOJO is nothing to me. I don't work at Tesla.

Now if you're asking what I think it is supposed to do, again, I'm working off the same very limited information as you and everyone else as to what DOJO will and won't do. My understanding was that it was going to automate some labeling tasks. Some of that might be DOJO required due to complexity of the combined video feeds but frankly it's all speculation on our part beyond that little bit of a peek they gave us talking about it.

Everyone got this wrong. There's literally a copy of the Quantum Leap pilot episode hidden in the binaries.
No, actually you're going to fall asleep while the car is driving, and awake to find yourself stuck in some unknown place, facing strange street signs that are not your own. Your only guide on this journey will be an AI from Tesla that appears in the form of self-driving visualizations. And so, you'll find yourself leaping from unknown town to unknown town, striving to turn right when your car turns left, and hoping each time that your next drive will be the drive home.

No, actually you're going to fall asleep while the car is driving, and awake to find yourself stuck in some unknown place, facing strange street signs that are not your own. Your only guide on this journey will be an AI from Tesla that appears in the form of self-driving visualizations. And so, you'll find yourself leaping from unknown town to unknown town, striving to turn right when your car turns left, and hoping each time that your next drive will be the drive home.
Perhaps the car will be programmed to “home” in its birthplace in Fremont. Then all the roads to the factory will clog up with sleeping drivers being driven back to the factory. :)

It already happened. FSD is totally complete and working, in an alternate parallel universe (which apparently Elon visits from time to time).
The few videos I watched from yesterday were impressive. I'd like to see if this version can handle Lombard street. I saw a video a few weeks ago where the car failed everytime to handle a particular turn.

Reactions: rxlawdude
The few videos I watched from yesterday were impressive. I'd like to see if this version can handle Lombard street. I saw a video a few weeks ago where the car failed everytime to handle a particular turn.
I did see one that successfully went down lombard street (early morning of V9 release(, but forced it to go no faster than 2 mph. I wonder if that means that it failed at 3 mph

The video from Tesla website FSD page in 2016 was also very impressive. We all know how that turned out.

The 2016 video was basically special effects though.

They had to do 550 miles of driving with 180 disengagements to get enough usable few-seconds-or-minutes-at-a-time clips to edit together into that video making it look like a single drive.

The 2019 video in contrast was from the CA report ONE take with ZERO disengagements.