Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Must have adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just placed my order for a MS 75D and want to make sure I have all the right equipment when I take delivery next month. Are any charging adapters considered "must have" by most drivers? I will be using the kit that comes with the car plugged into a 240 line at home.

One correction for @Derek Kessler : It's a 5-15 adapter.

I would say probably only a few additional ones: 14-30, 10-30, and TT-30.

You quite possibly will want to use a dryer outlet at some point, maybe at family's house, or an AirBNB rental or something. Old dryer outlets (pre-1996 I think) are 10-30, and newer homes have 14-30. And the other is TT-30, which is the travel trailer at some campgrounds and RV parks. A lot of those places have a mix of 14-50 and TT-30 (sometimes both in the same utility post), but some places only have one or the other.

Tesla does sell an official 14-30 adapter, so buy that now. This is pretty important because the Tesla adapters have a resistor built into them which sends a signal to the car telling it what size circuit it's supposed to be and automatically limiting the current without your having to manually adjust anything in the car.

Now, the site evseadapters.com does sell a lot of adapters for Tesla, but they were mostly made back when 14-50 was about the only kind you could get from the Tesla store, so they convert everything to a 14-50 outlet. I do have their adapter pigtails for converting to 10-30 and TT-30, and it's good to have each of those.

But you do have the current limiting thing. You can dial the current in the car down to 24A for a 30A circuit (80% rule), but it's not very good if you forget, which may happen. It's better to have a proper 30A Tesla adapter being converted to a 30A plug type, so the current is already set right. So, it would be good to use the Tesla 14-30 UMC plug, converted to 10-30 or TT-30. There are two ways to do this. You can build your own cables, getting a 14-30 receptacle, and wire, and the other plugs. This isn't too bad, but takes a little time and some basic know-how. Probably the simpler method is the buy the cables from EVSEadapters and just use a Dremmel tool to cut the neutral pin off your Tesla 14-30 plug, so it can fit into the 14-50 outlet that it has. Neutral isn't used on the 240V Tesla adapters anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and boaterva
Heh, I guess "must have" has different definitions, depending on how close you are to EV civilization. There are only two CHAdeMOs in my entire state, and one of them prohibits Tesla use, so having a few extra adapters for dryers and campgrounds is kind of useful and doesn't cost too much.

The 14-30 is the one adapter I'd recommend that everyone carry with them. This is a standard dryer outlet, and I've used it a number of times when visiting family members for an overnight stay.

Note that the 14-30 is standard for newer homes, and is the current style of outlet installed in accordance with the National Electric Code (NEC).

You may find a dryer outlet in older homes that's slightly different, the 10-30. If you're planning on using someone's dryer outlet, it makes sense to verify which one they have. 14-30 is 4-prong, 10-30 is 3-prong.

Reactions: Rocky_H and JHWJR
I'd try to be prepared for charging on both dryer outlets, 14-30 and 10-30. The changeover happened in the mid-90's, so they are still pretty common. I'd get both (when the 10-30 returns to stock).

I also have a 25 ft 10-30 extension cord I made from parts from Home Depot (10 ga SOOW flexible rubber jacketed cord). All the houses where I charge off the dryer are old enough for 10-30.

• Informative
Reactions: KArnold
I just happened to be at a B&B this weekend in Maryland 20170715_111857.png They have a very convenient 240-volt outlet in the parking area but I don't know what it is. Anyone?

10-50 outlets are used for electric stoves in older homes, and I have seen and used 10-50's in other places as well.

I made an adapter to convert them to 14-50. Be sure to check the circuit breaker. Stoves often have 40 A breakers and wiring, even though the outlet is rated for 50 Amps. If the breaker is 40 Amps you need to reduce the current to 32 Amps max. I bought Tesla's Canadian 14-50 UMC adapter to insure the max current would automatically be set at 32 Amps.

Although I like charging at various overnight destinations and having a lot of adapters, the set that come with the car are very versatile and enough for most owners.

GSP

Maybe Amazon.com: EV Big Three Charger Adapter Kit Includes NEMA 14-50R to NEMA 10-30P L14-30P and 10-50P - Charging Options to your Tesla and EV: Home Audio & Theater would cover the 10-30, 10-50, and 14-30 to 14-50 scenarios? Am I missing anything here or is there a better way to go? Personally I'd like to be covered for this kind of situation.

I wouldn't recommend that kit. The 14-30 they have in that kit is an L14-30, which is the locking variant of the 14-30. Portable home generators use that, but the newer dryer outlets are the non-locking 14-30 version.

14-30 receptacle (dryer):

71TyeZQrnxL._SY355_.jpg

L14-30 receptacle (home generator):

s-l1000.jpg

In the less than two months we have had our S 75D we have put on almost 10,000 miles, including a 16-day, almost 7,000 mile cross-country trip. All charging was from Tesla Supercharger except for:
One overnight on a Tesla Destination charger.
One overnight on a J1772 at the Nissan dealer near my brother's home. I called and got permission - they were happy to have a visiting EV able to use their station.

We had borrowed a ChaDemo adapter for the trip but never needed it.

In my opinion, nothing outside of the supplied adapters are needed for almost all Tesla users. I would recommend the installation of a NEMA 14-50 outlet in your garage (or an 240v EVSE). Otherwise the Supercharger network will supply all your travel needs.