Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mustang Mach E is a Gamechanger - My Opinion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's strange (maybe not entirely unique to the Model 3) is that there is almost truly no difference in the interior of the cheapest off-menu Standard Range vs. the Performance model. I can't think of any other vehicle with such a price difference in options/trim, the interior is essentially the same.

There are a few features like rear seat heaters and "premium sound" that are different, but they're not really. All the hardware is there it's just artificially disabled via software. So basically the difference between the $48,990 Long Range version and the $56,990 Performance version is an $8,000 software upgrade. And with the new speed boost upgrade they offer on the Long Range you can get half way to a Performance for $2k extra. So $6k basically buys you 1/2 second 0-60.

The driving dynamics and the charging at home aspect of the car are FANTASTIC and I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, but the build quality leaves something to be desired. I hope that in 2.5 years when my lease is up they'll have either addressed that or offer a higher end model that addresses it. (I'm willing to pay a little more for a higher trim, but not double for an S)

Ford SYNC 4 first look: Mustang Mach-E high-tech dashboard revealed

Ford is doing A LOT right with the tech here. Great article.

It looks like they borrowed a lot from Tesla, other than the persistent HVAC screen, which given how Tesla's UI is organized, doesn't seem all that useful.

There was a Sony EV concept car at CES that envisioned a future UI which was pretty cool and it made sense coming from a tech company. I will look and post the video I took if anyone is interested.

Reactions: MARKM3
Agree to disagree. I’ve been in comparable BMWs of work colleagues and a relatively high end Merc Benz my brother in law has and I find the material and build quality to be on par with those. The Benz had more luxury touches but it should as I’m sure it’s quite a bit more than my SR+. And 50 mph winds would be noisy in just about anything but a really high end car with sound attenuating glass and other noise deadening features that would push the cost (and weight) up a good bit.

The materials are a bit different. The BMW had nicer carpet, nicer wood trim and more of it, a nicer steering wheel and leather on the door handles, but it wasn't a huge step up. But the noise difference is quite noticeable. Both of my BMWs were quieter than this and the first one was a "low end", high $40k range, 135i. There is even a few videos on Rich Rebuilds where they show that even on the S/X there are places where they haven't done a good job to isolate wind noise and have little "fixes" that help. And that's a $100k+ car.

Maybe it's to save weight, or maybe it's just because Tesla is a new company and hasn't figured it all out yet. I'm hoping it's the later and that when I'm ready to get my next one they've addressed the noise issue.

Reactions: MARKM3
800 what? Stalls or stations?

Do you think Tesla is standing still?

The data I quoted was from a couple weeks ago.

I see since Jan 31 Tesla has opened 10 more stations in NA with 102 stalls

I see EA has opened 10 more as well adding 37 stalls

No of course not, but it will be hard for Tesla to grow at the pace of EA once all 5 auto makers using them will be partnered together, they should grow much more rapidly. The stalls aren't as important as location, similar to the gas station model. The only places that should have more stalls are off interstates. Tesla is putting more stalls, but majority of them are empty majority of the time in my area (unless you're in raleigh/charlotte). Not very efficient if you ask me.

I think that was stalls, stations was somewhere around 120-150 added I believe

No of course not, but it will be hard for Tesla to grow at the pace of EA once all 5 auto makers using them will be partnered together, they should grow much more rapidly. The stalls aren't as important as location, similar to the gas station model. The only places that should have more stalls are off interstates. Tesla is putting more stalls, but majority of them are empty majority of the time in my area (unless you're in raleigh/charlotte). Not very efficient if you ask me.

I think that was stalls, stations was somewhere around 120-150 added I believe
You are kidding right?

1. Interstate locations are most important. Then urban for people that cant install a charger at home.
2. Stalls are hugely important when charging takes even 15 minutes. Imagine all these manufacturers making cars and the charging stations only have a couple stalls. Just checked by me in Chicago there are 3 EA stations and none of them have more then 3 stalls. The Tesla SC closest to me has 8 and 8 more V3 will open any day now for a total of 16 stalls.
3. I double checked they now have 400 stations open with 76 coming soon. With 1772 stalls that are 75KW or more. Tesla has about 80 under construction (not permit) right now and that doesnt include Superchargers like ours which is expanding.

And neither will the Mach E on the same route.

That's the point.

Using the same measuring stick (EPA rating) the Tesla is going to deliver significantly more range, with a 25% smaller battery.

Yes, so 300 miles vs 310 miles on my car. My point is this, in the winter if the Mach E Wh/Mi Average without heat is 25% worse, or 300Wh/Mi average, the heat will play less of a role proportionally when driving the car. The heat uses up 30% of my range in the model 3, in the Mach E will it be 15% or less? There is your efficiency out the window, other factors hurt EV's much worse than a typical ICE vehicle. Hell, even rain make quite a big difference. Going from a 7KW heater to a 8KW heater to accompany slighly more cubic feet of air space will not make as big a difference.

You are kidding right?

1. Interstate locations are most important. Then urban for people that cant install a charger at home.
2. Stalls are hugely important when charging takes even 15 minutes. Imagine all these manufacturers making cars and the charging stations only have a couple stalls. Just checked by me in Chicago there are 3 EA stations and none of them have more then 3 stalls. The Tesla SC closest to me has 8 and 8 more V3 will open any day now for a total of 16 stalls.
3. I double checked they now have 400 stations open with 76 coming soon. With 1772 stalls that are 75KW or more. Tesla has about 80 under construction (not permit) right now and that doesnt include Superchargers like ours which is expanding.
Chargers are dealerships which are locked off are not viable. They are not accessible when the dealership is closed and if you are in a state like Illinois that would even mean no charging on Sundays.

Also remember a Tesla can use an EA charger.

Oh, the model 3 can use an EA CCS charger? Really?

Tesla obviously has a huge lead in the supercharger space.

But as battery density gets better and better this is going to become less important. If you have a battery that can do 500 miles are you really going to want to drive 7-8 hours without stopping? The ultimate goal would be to get the density to 1000 miles. That's more than someone would reasonably want to drive in a single day period. Even Semi truck drivers are only allowed to drive 12 hours at a time.