Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX 5 Seater vs 7 Seater

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yinn

Nov 15, 2016
Behind you
I'm getting really tired of my 7 Seater and lack of a folding 2nd row. On more than one occasion, I've had to grab the S to transport something, so I'm thinking about switching to a 5 seater. I've even thought about getting another S, but my X is a lot more comfortable for adults in the 2nd row.

Can anyone elaborate on the differences?
- How is the comfort in the 2nd row for adults?
- Is the seating position in the 2nd row still high? Or is it lower to the ground?
- Without HVAC in the rear, do you find the aircon of heater sufficient?
- How is the rear visibility? Does the middle seat block visibility?

I'm really torn about losing the 3rd row, but So far I've to need the additional cargo room more often than the additional row of seats.

Wow... everybody looks down on the 5 seater, but I have one and I can vouch for it. The profile view of the 2nd row is not as sexy as yours, but I do believe it is slightly lower. The comfort in the 2nd row is excellent with plenty of head room in the centre seat, but I'm only 5'7". As well, the seat back reclines a lot if you want, so it is very comfortable. Rear visibility is excellent because the centre headrest is lower, leaving the entire hatch glass completely in view (unlike the 7 seater). There is no obstruction to rear visibility, though Tesla could have installed a slightly larger rear view mirror! I'm not regretting my choice because my family gets dizzy sitting in the third row.

I can't comment on the HVAC because we haven't had much heat here yet.

Reactions: beths11
Not a 5-seater owner but heavily followed the reports (e.g. Evolution of the Model X 5-seater trunk). Based on those:

- 5-seater bench definitely sits lower overall and also its middle seat is a little shorter and has a shorter headrest.

- Better rear visibility due to the previous fact has been cited by other posters as well.

- Second row recline has been cited as better than in 6/7 seater tilt, though obviously it is manual and base is stationary.

- HVAC has been compared by a poster and the main concern seems to be the fan strength. 5-seater still retains four vents in the second row (looses the third row vents), but only one fan drives the system. The tester reported that unless some vents were closed, the air flow strength reaching the remaining back vents was definitely less than in the 6/7-seater.

I guess we need to wait for summer heat to gather more info on the HVAC.

Wow... everybody looks down on the 5 seater, but I have one and I can vouch for it

I don't look down on it ;)

The profile view of the 2nd row is not as sexy as yours,

You can't really see the monoposts, especially on a black interior. I've also never had someone go: Wow! I really like the posts holding up your seats!

but I do believe it is slightly lower. The comfort in the 2nd row is excellent with plenty of head room in the centre seat

How is the thigh support in the 2nd row? My biggest complaint in the S is that while adults do fit, you're essentially sitting in a fetal-like position with your thighs angled upwards. With the lower seating position, can you still maintain a near 90 degree bend at the knees?

I don't look down on it ;)

You can't really see the monoposts, especially on a black interior. I've also never had someone go: Wow! I really like the posts holding up your seats!

How is the thigh support in the 2nd row? My biggest complaint in the S is that while adults do fit, you're essentially sitting in a fetal-like position with your thighs angled upwards. With the lower seating position, can you still maintain a near 90 degree bend at the knees?

Thigh support is good, but again, I'm on 5'7" so this may not apply to everybody. My legs are shorter, so I have no issues whatsoever.

I'm getting really tired of my 7 Seater and lack of a folding 2nd row. On more than one occasion, I've had to grab the S to transport something, so I'm thinking about switching to a 5 seater. I've even thought about getting another S, but my X is a lot more comfortable for adults in the 2nd row.

- Is the seating position in the 2nd row still high? Or is it lower to the ground?

I'm really torn about losing the 3rd row, but So far I've to need the additional cargo room more often than the additional row of seats.
Don't forget that the 5-seater is not your only other option. Depending on how much area you need for the long stuff, there's also the 6-seater, which gives you a long space where the seventh seat used to be. If you're conflicted about loosing the 3rd row seats, the 6-seater would allow you to still have the 3rd row if you needed it, but also have the space to load long things in the middle.

Some have written about making a box that they can place between the 2 middle seats when they need to carry long cargo, to extend the surface of the cargo area in between the 2nd row. I can envision that box having an extension at the front end that would rise above the top surface so that it would create a stop to prevent things from sliding into the center console or above it into the front seat area.

I always thought the 7-seat version was too crowded, although necessary if you need to carry that many people. But the 6-seater gives you a roomier feeling in the cabin, and access to the 3rd row is much easier. Also, with the 3rd row folded, you get a much less obstructed rear view. Even better than with the 5-seater.

Don't forget that the 5-seater is not your only other option. Depending on how much area you need for the long stuff, there's also the 6-seater, which gives you a long space where the seventh seat used to be. If you're conflicted about loosing the 3rd row seats, the 6-seater would allow you to still have the 3rd row if you needed it, but also have the space to load long things in the middle..

I always thought the 7-seat version was too crowded, although necessary if you need to carry that many people. But the 6-seater gives you a roomier feeling in the cabin, and access to the 3rd row is much easier. Also, with the 3rd row folded, you get a much less obstructed rear view. Even better than with the 5-seater.

The 6 seater was originally my preferred choice, but we've grown to love the 7's ability to be used as a 5 seater the majority of the time. The 6 seater would actually be worse for our situation. We place our single carseat in the middle seat, which allows either the driver or the passenger to turn around and yell at...err...calmly address our child. We didn't realize how nice this was until we started doing this, typically one of us would have to be a contortionist.

Our car seat (Diono) is also thin, so it allows just as much room still for two adult side passengers as that of a 6 seater. In a 6 seater, the car seat would take one of the seats, meaning someone definitely has to crawl into the back 3rd row. More comfortable than the 3rd row in a 7 seater, sure. But I don't think it's more convenient/comfortable than just sitting in the 2nd row. This specifically has made it easier for us to use our car in a 5 seat configuration the majority of the time and largely eliminated the need for the 3rd row.

It also wouldn't have helped the couple of times we used an S - picking up outdoor lounge chairs, hallway table, door, moving a 48" dog crate. None of which are massive, but large & long enough that it just doesn't fit. If Tesla just made a 7 seater with folding middle seats, I'd be sold. Our dogs haven't been in the X yet, but I would imagine the larger cargo area would help in bringing 2x 70lb dogs to the vet as well. I've been looking at trailers as an alternative, but that almost seems silly to roll up to the vet with a trailer for 2 dogs.

The 6 seater was originally my preferred choice, but we've grown to love the 7's ability to be used as a 5 seater the majority of the time. The 6 seater would actually be worse for our situation. We place our single carseat in the middle seat, which allows either the driver or the passenger to turn around and yell at...err...calmly address our child. We didn't realize how nice this was until we started doing this, typically one of us would have to be a contortionist.

Our car seat (Diono) is also thin, so it allows just as much room still for two adult side passengers as that of a 6 seater. In a 6 seater, the car seat would take one of the seats, meaning someone definitely has to crawl into the back 3rd row. More comfortable than the 3rd row in a 7 seater, sure. But I don't think it's more convenient/comfortable than just sitting in the 2nd row. This specifically has made it easier for us to use our car in a 5 seat configuration the majority of the time and largely eliminated the need for the 3rd row.

It also wouldn't have helped the couple of times we used an S - picking up outdoor lounge chairs, hallway table, door, moving a 48" dog crate. None of which are massive, but large & long enough that it just doesn't fit. If Tesla just made a 7 seater with folding middle seats, I'd be sold. Our dogs haven't been in the X yet, but I would imagine the larger cargo area would help in bringing 2x 70lb dogs to the vet as well. I've been looking at trailers as an alternative, but that almost seems silly to roll up to the vet with a trailer for 2 dogs.
I see what you mean about the 6-seater. And I wouldn't feel comfortable about the safety (or lack thereof) of carrying the dogs in a trailer behind the car. But about the car seat location, I thought the car seat harnesses were only on the outboard seats?

I see what you mean about the 6-seater. And I wouldn't feel comfortable about the safety (or lack thereof) of carrying the dogs in a trailer behind the car. But about the car seat location, I thought the car seat harnesses were only on the outboard seats?

That was my concern as well. I haven't found one that seems safe for the dogs.

The LATCH anchors are only on the outside and would certainly be easier, but the car seat can be installed in the center position using the traditional seat belt as well.

It's pretty perfect, no issues with head clearance on the center bar anymore. A little safer from side impacts, and my kid loves it and thinks she's sitting with us and can see straight out.

The only negatives are that the rear cup holders often get kicked at, and it's slightly more trouble to reach to place your kid into the car (if they're not doing it themselves)

That was my concern as well. I haven't found one that seems safe for the dogs.

The LATCH anchors are only on the outside and would certainly be easier, but the car seat can be installed in the center position using the traditional seat belt as well.

It's pretty perfect, no issues with head clearance on the center bar anymore. A little safer from side impacts, and my kid loves it and thinks she's sitting with us and can see straight out.

The only negatives are that the rear cup holders often get kicked at, and it's slightly more trouble to reach to place your kid into the car (if they're not doing it themselves)
Well, you would definitely have the same opportunity for placing the car seat in the same position in the 5-seater, and you'll still have the extra headroom with the FWD open, so the only obstacle left is to let go of the 3rd row seats and then the 5-seater sounds like a great solution for you. Not only will you have the long, flat storage are when you need to haul cargo or carry the dogs, but you will also have a lot taller cargo area behind the 2nd row seats by removing the floor boards. You get that extra room from the space that was occupied by the 3rd row folded seats.

Where are you located? I'm in Denver and you're more than welcome to check out my 5 seater. Even trade for a bit if you want.

I am a five seat owner and held out over numerous upgrade attempts by Tesla, through out summer 2016. I am so glad I waited. Many six and seven seat owners told me I wouldn't get much more space..wrong. I am just about done loading the car for the 1,800 mile trip to our summer hang out. I am coming from a Honda Odyssey and was very afraid I would not have enough room. I was wrong.

I was at the Super Charger the other day and an owner with a six seat Model X took a look and said "Wow, you have way more space than I do". We are two adults and a very small dog, but if you want to carry stuff more than people, the 5 seat option is perfect.

There are A/C vents on both pillars behind the front row for the second row as well as two vents in between the front row seats (with a cup holder). I have had passengers in the second row, but didn't get comments one way or another regarding the A/C effectiveness.

I know of read here from a few Model X, five seat owners, who selected the option specifically because of the ability to carry large dogs.

It would be great if they allowed the folding bench of a 5 seater to be built with the 3rd row seats of the 6-7 seater. Sure, getting there would be a bit awkward, but certainly possible if you fold the bench down. And pesto, best of all worlds.
I agree and wonder why there is no progress on this. I cancelled my X SIG reservation because the 2nd row did not fold on 6/7 seaters and am still hoping to see a change.

Are there that few prospective X owners that have 3 kids, dogs, and bikes to carry and preferably in the same vehicle, not necessarily all at the same time.... ?

It would be great if they allowed the folding bench of a 5 seater to be built with the 3rd row seats of the 6-7 seater. Sure, getting there would be a bit awkward, but certainly possible if you fold the bench down. And pesto, best of all worlds.

I would bet in the future they'll have a 6 seat option. The folding benches are already a 1/3-2/3 split, I don't see why they can't take out the middle and allow a passage that way.

I am a five seat owner and held out over numerous upgrade attempts by Tesla, through out summer 2016. I am so glad I waited. Many six and seven seat owners told me I wouldn't get much more space..wrong. I am just about done loading the car for the 1,800 mile trip to our summer hang out. I am coming from a Honda Odyssey and was very afraid I would not have enough room. I was wrong.

I was at the Super Charger the other day and an owner with a six seat Model X took a look and said "Wow, you have way more space than I do". We are two adults and a very small dog, but if you want to carry stuff more than people, the 5 seat option is perfect.

There are A/C vents on both pillars behind the front row for the second row as well as two vents in between the front row seats (with a cup holder). I have had passengers in the second row, but didn't get comments one way or another regarding the A/C effectiveness.

I know of read here from a few Model X, five seat owners, who selected the option specifically because of the ability to carry large dogs.
Did you get AP1 or 2? When did you take delivery?