Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2 day old P85D suddenly died in the middle of an intersection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate that our cars are so dependent on the 12V battery. I realize ICE cars are dependent on them too, but only to start the cars, not to operate them.

Tesla should make their own 12V so they can control the quality. I hear about 12V lead acid quality problems too often.

Worth noting this isn't actually a 12V failure. It's a failure of the pack contactor or drive unit causing a pack fuse to fail. This will cause the DC/DC to stop working and 12V battery voltage to drop, tripping the fault.

If the battery was low, jumping it would have allowed the car to move.

Doesn't start and shuts down in the middle of an intersection are two different things. If the Tesla didn't start in our garage you wouldn't even be hearing about it.
My wife is not concerned with her car not starting. She is extremely concerned with her car shutting down suddenly and unexpectedly.

well did the car at least warn you it was shutting down? Ice cars shut down a bit more 'suddenly and unexpectedly' than a Tesla from my experience. When my HV /contactoe had issues my car flashed and said to 'pull over safely' car is shutting down

- - - Updated - - -

If the battery was low, jumping it would have allowed the car to move.

maybe. not always. the second issue I had wouldn't let the 12V be jump charged from the posts and I barely got the car in tow mode before compete power loss.

V V I agree with Amped. even with the Tesla issues I really can't fathom driving anything else with a crappy engine

Last edited:
You've never had a new car without some sort of build issue? Consider yourself lucky. Things break sometimes, that's why there's a thing called a "warranty."

Owned a Toyota Prius, Acura Integra, Volkswagen Jetta and Toyota Highlander Hybrid. None of those cars were in service for any warranty issues the first year. By comparison, I have a stack of papers as thick as a phone book reflecting all of my service appointments for my Model S the first year. People here should not be so dismissive. The Model S has far more quality issues than any other vehicle I've ever owned. That is simply a fact for me, possibly others - I can only speak for myself. I still love Tesla and would never buy another ICE, but I look forward to the day when Audi and BMW force Tesla to up its quality game.

A point of discussion during a quarterly conference call doesn't occur if the issue is happening to a minority of owners. Tesla doesn't add a drive unit warranty because a small number of owners are impacted. Let's not rehash this one again. It's an issue for a lot of people and that's a well known fact proven by all of the threads and polls here. My point is that these issues can't continue, and if they do, Tesla's reputation will suffer.

I'm happy that you have not had any issues.

3 cars with road debris strikes starting smoking and it made international news and was talked about at the quarterly report too. I'm not saying it isn't an issue to some but saying Tesla doesn't care or isn't working on it isn't accurate either.

Osama, my wife, lost confidence in our Sig P85 the first week we brought it home in 2012...it wasn't a car related incident that caused this, (it was charge anxiety...winter time, and our electrician failed to install our HWPC in time for the Model S's arrival...hence, we could not recoup range fast enough on 110V...this resulted in her having to drive to a charge site, leave the vehicle there for about 5 hours (32 amp) to get "just enough range" in the battery to get to work and back...around 11:00 pm each night, we drove down to pick up the car and plug it in at our house at 110v so she could use it in the morning...we had to do this for about a week...total PITA (she was seriously thinking that we had made a mistake buying this vehicle!)...it caused her to lose total faith in the car's ability to get her back and forth to work safely (55 km 1 way to work).

The bottom line is, she gave the car another chance (and was patient enough to agree to measure the car's 'fitness") based on when we could properly charge on our HWPC at our house.

She now has over 50,000 electric (Tesla) kms under her belt, and couldn't be happier!

I have over 100,000 electric (Tesla) kms driven, and assure you that although ANY man-made product can break down (and usually at the worst time...see Murphy's law), Tesla makes good products and services them well.

No one likes a product failure to let them down...when it does happen, it is generally just bad luck...I urge you to speak with your wife and see if you can get her to see her way clear to giving the car another chance...based on my / my wife's experience, she won't regret it.

Cheers!

Jaff

That is simply a fact for me, possibly others - I can only speak for myself. I still love Tesla and would never buy another ICE, but I look forward to the day when Audi and BMW force Tesla to up its quality game.

And on the contrary, I have a similar giant stack for my last Audi, my current Prius, and a thin stack for my Tesla. These are all just anecdotes and mean nothing. Even looking at forum posts complaining mean nothing, since the people who don't have problems aren't posting.

And on the contrary, I have a similar giant stack for my last Audi, my current Prius, and a thin stack for my Tesla. These are all just anecdotes and mean nothing. Even looking at forum posts complaining mean nothing, since the people who don't have problems aren't posting.

Exactly. There have been a few that have gotten unlucky and had issues with their cars. Others have had nothing. Consumer Reports still recommends the car so not every car is a lemon.

Doesn't start and shuts down in the middle of an intersection are two different things. If the Tesla didn't start in our garage you wouldn't even be hearing about it.
My wife is not concerned with her car not starting. She is extremely concerned with her car shutting down suddenly and unexpectedly.

Understandably. Keep well, and good fortune with the car repair.

Meanwhile, my wife still plugs in my EV if she drives it 5km...loves the idea of always driving with a "maximum fuel level" (aka full tank or full battery). ;-)

I have to say, although I'm as big a tesla fan boy as anyone, this is really unacceptable. At some point growing pains like this have to be OVER.

last year I had the exact same thing happen to me, with my 4 year old daughter in the back. It was sunny san diego and I was able to pull over no problem. I posted in the TM forum in the private section and I was absolutely eviscerated. People would have lynched me if they could. Same old tired arguments as people are putting in Tesla defense.

At this point I don't think there is any defense for Tesla and I hope they get their act together ASAP. Can't blame Osama for ditching the P85D (a beta version of a final car IMO) until they can demonstrate that electric cars are fundamentally more reliable than ICE (a Musk motto, but so far the data doesnt support this).

osama, I might suggest seeing what happens after a week or two of your wife living with the Model S, and, this is the important part, not having to go fill up at a gas station ever again.

While the thought of getting stuck in the cold waiting an hour for a tow truck is terrible, it's a low probability event and one that is equally prevalent with a gas car. However, with a gas car you know you will be stuck out in the cold for 10 minutes every week or two filling up. Over the course of a year that's many, many hours.

Once your wife experiences that (2 days isn't long enough), I suspect she'll come to thank you. So will her fingers... kept warm plugging in your garage, not having to hold a freezing gas pump handle outside ever again.

I used to drive a 1978 AMC Pacer whose ignition would quit -- I'd be driving along and the engine would just stop. I'd coast to a stop, shift it into Park, and it would start back up after one or two tries. Does that mean that the Pacer was a bad car?

Hmmm... that might be a bad example. :frown:

Sorry to hear about your trouble, and I think that your wife's reaction is a natural one.

I can relate to the situation Osama is in. My wife got the Infiniti Q50 last year when it debuted. A week or two after getting it, she got 'stuck' in a parking lot, when the steering 'failed'. Without getting too detailed, Infiniti tried something new with the Q50, didn't test it properly in cold weather, and as a result, some times when starting the car, you'd have essentially no steering. She never forgot that. She "hated' the car ever after (and now drives something different). Infiniti eventually solved the issue, but the bad experience never left my wife.

Osama, I am happy you and your boy ended up safe. I wish you luck with whatever happens next. I've loved my car thus far (in some rather cold weather), so I hope at least you get to keep one of them (and don't have much hassle trying to deal with the other car).

I believe the frunk is electronically latched and won't be accessible when 12v/main battery fails (which is the case here)? Someone here can definitely confirm. If that's the case, I would leave it in the trunk which is always accessible.
The 12V is accessible when you remove the nose cone. I also bought a pry tool but then I believe you can use credit cards, etc to pry it open too. (or easier with the Frunk open)

There is a mechanical release for the frunk under the glove box. This is covered in the owners manual.

- - - Updated - - -

3 cars with road debris strikes starting smoking and it made international news and was talked about at the quarterly report too. I'm not saying it isn't an issue to some but saying Tesla doesn't care or isn't working on it isn't accurate either.

The first one of those cars was absolutely on fire not just smoking. There's plenty of video of that car fire on the Internet. Minimizing the facts of the example you give is not helpful to your cause.

That said I do tend to think that people are over reacting here.