Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 2012 Model S P85 Signature CPO Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I finally pulled the plug on a 2012 Model S P85 Signature (#442). I was told that it would be ready in 4-8 weeks, but in the meantime have a few questions for anyone with experiencing purchasing a CPO vehicle:

1) Can I call Tesla to get a vehicle history report now that the car is attached to my name in the Tesla system?

2) Are there any upgrades I can pay for since Tesla has the car in their possession?

3) It will be in the Freemont, California location... so can I go look at it?

4) Can I purchase and install parking sensors on this car?

5) Can I purchase and install folding mirrors?

Thanks for your help.

Doesn’t hurt to ask your sales advisor for the service history. Mine wouldn’t send the official records citing privacy concerns (can’t they just redact the personal info?!) but did summarize when and what had been done outside of routine maintenance such as drive unit and door handle replacements. That was good enough for me.

Not true about the mirrors. You can add them, but it is not cheap as you have to purchase the wiring harness, in addition to the mirrors. I purchased mine from a totaled vehicle. Don’t worry about the painted covers. They pop off and can be put on the new mirrors.

Reactions: Cowby
There is a guy in AZ who is quite proficient in installing the mirrors - kind of a hobby for him to be able to dismantle and reassemble the cars. He travels to SoCal occasionally and he came to my home to install them, including the programming of the system to recognize the mirrors. It took about 6 hours of labor and I was helping him. I paid him for his efforts. Not sure if he comes to NoCal, but I can ping you with his user name if you are interested.
Dave

• Informative
There is a guy in AZ who is quite proficient in installing the mirrors - kind of a hobby for him to be able to dismantle and reassemble the cars. He travels to SoCal occasionally and he came to my home to install them, including the programming of the system to recognize the mirrors. It took about 6 hours of labor and I was helping him. I paid him for his efforts. Not sure if he comes to NoCal, but I can ping you with his user name if you are interested.
Dave

Hey Dave,

Please PM me his info. Thanks.

Just sent it to you.

Dave

Thank you sir.

For anyone following this thread, my owner-advisor informed me that I cannot have any upgrades applied to the car until after I've officially taken possession of the vehicle since that is when all the paperwork is finalized.

However, this is the list of items he mentioned I could get updated on a 2012 P85 that is lacking any of the below items:

Power folding mirrors - I want these.
3G to 4G LTE - I'll probably get this.
Center console - I'm not sure yet.
Carbon fiber spoiler - Already installed.
Fog lamps - Already installed.
Red brake calipers - I'm not sure if they're installed. If not, I want these.
Performance pedals - I'm not sure if they're installed. I could care less.
Other items found here: Tesla | Model S - I want the all weather mats from frunk to trunk.

Hey all,

4) Can I purchase and install parking sensors on this car?

5) Can I purchase and install folding mirrors?

Thanks for your help.

The original owner of my Sig #272 was a Tesla test vehicle to prove the viability of installing the folding mirrors after the fact. So I am lucky enough to have them on mine. In addition, he had a shop in SoCal, Al & Eds, install parking sensors and blind spot monitors, They also installed radar and collision avoidance systems. So those items can be done, but where in NorCal and the price to do them I don't know.

• Love
Reactions: myblubu
The original owner of my Sig #272 was a Tesla test vehicle to prove the viability of installing the folding mirrors after the fact. So I am lucky enough to have them on mine. In addition, he had a shop in SoCal, Al & Eds, install parking sensors and blind spot monitors, They also installed radar and collision avoidance systems. So those items can be done, but where in NorCal and the price to do them I don't know.

Thanks for that info. I'm going to reach out to that shop to see if I can have those same features installed.

Thank you sir.

For anyone following this thread, my owner-advisor informed me that I cannot have any upgrades applied to the car until after I've officially taken possession of the vehicle since that is when all the paperwork is finalized.

However, this is the list of items he mentioned I could get updated on a 2012 P85 that is lacking any of the below items:

Power folding mirrors - I want these.
3G to 4G LTE - I'll probably get this.
Center console - I'm not sure yet.
Carbon fiber spoiler - Already installed.
Fog lamps - Already installed.
Red brake calipers - I'm not sure if they're installed. If not, I want these.
Performance pedals - I'm not sure if they're installed. I could care less.
Other items found here: Tesla | Model S - I want the all weather mats from frunk to trunk.

Yes, u must wait to take delivery before scheduling an appt for these upgrades...all of them can be done. Pedals should be the metallic ones since u got a P. I have all the additions u mentioned as well as the tpms upgrade on my car. Warning, it all adds up very quickly!

Yes, u must wait to take delivery before scheduling an appt for these upgrades...all of them can be done. Pedals should be the metallic ones since u got a P. I have all the additions u mentioned as well as the tpms upgrade on my car. Warning, it all adds up very quickly!

The "adding up quickly" part is what I'm trying to get a sense of since I haven't really been given prices for anything yet.

Yes, u must wait to take delivery before scheduling an appt for these upgrades...

Not necessarily. It depends on the SC. When I bought a 2012 Sig MS CPO in 7/2017, I asked for upgraded TPMS, LTE, and updated visors. LTE and TPMS were done during reconditioning and were ready at delivery. Updated visors were installed about 6 weeks after delivery.

It doesn't hurt to ask.