Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My 3 doesn't seem to want to read speed limit signs.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I havent been driving much at all because... well because of 2020 (lol) but I went out to the store today and saw speed limit signs on the virtualization, and I didnt turn on anything additional.

I have FSD though, so I dont know under what circumstances you do or dont see them. With that being said, do you have HW3? I got upgraded to HW 3 in april or so of this year.

Are you on the very latest 2020.36.x branch software?

Because until then it didn't read, or display, speed limit signs. It's a brand new feature that just came out in the last week or two.

Yes, I got it a week or two ago, and then got another one only yesterday(looked like bug fixes, no new stuff). Maybe they were fixing this bug, or the display brightness stuck bug.

The speed limit signs show up in the "Visualization" area on the screen. They usually show the sign post as well as the sign. As soon as you pass the sign on the road it is no longer seen on the screen, Just like the traffic cones and other cars as they go past. I believe you have to turn the visualization settings on to see the signs.

To see objects in your driving visualization, tap Controls > Autopilot > Full Self Driving Visualization Preview.

Reactions: Phlier
In my experience, a 2 button reset and driving about 50 miles has made it much much better at catching the speed limit signs. At first it was hit and miss. Seems more hit than miss now. (Improvement could be by chance, but that’s my impression of what has occurred)

There is a calibration process involved, so an undocumented quantity of driving is required before it will "just start working".
Yup, and in my case, it took several days of driving before it was "seeing" every single speed limit sign. After the first day, it was seeing about 25% of them, gradually improving to the point that it now rarely misses them.