Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My battery failed after only 3K miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is pure marketing at this point.
It’s not even marketing. It’s ElonHuffers hearing what they want to hear from:

1) A comment made years ago about research into cell chemistries by Jeff Dahn that could pave the way toward a pack with that sort of longevity

2) A Tesla tweet in 2018 showing the internals of a drive unit that was tested on a bench to the equivalent of a million miles and stating this was an internal endurance “target”.

Tesla has never marketed a million mile drivetrain. People just hear what they want and think those two things mean “every Tesla battery and drive unit will last a million miles,” which is absurd.

It’s not even marketing. It’s ElonHuffers hearing what they want to hear from:

1) A comment made years ago about research into cell chemistries by Jeff Dahn that could pave the way toward a pack with that sort of longevity

2) A Tesla tweet in 2018 showing the internals of a drive unit that was tested on a bench to the equivalent of a million miles and stating this was an internal endurance “target”.

Tesla has never marketed a million mile drivetrain. People just hear what they want and think those two things mean “every Tesla battery and drive unit will last a million miles,” which is absurd.
This "million mile drivetrain" nonsense has been going on further back than 2018. Back when Model S drive units were getting frequently replaced before making it even to 30K miles, the guy at Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 347 - My Nissan Leaf Forum in 2017 made this claim:
"It is also why Elon said that any Teslas made since May/June 2015 should have a 1,000,000 mile drivetrain."

Looks like he posted basically something like that here in 2015!
"I believe Elon said the "million mile" DU has been shipping for the past few months. My 70D was manufactured in August, so I'm hoping I won the DU lottery."

Of course that guy never answered, so I did at Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum. A few weeks later, I posted Official Tesla Model S thread - Page 348 - My Nissan Leaf Forum with links to some more BS.

Update: One my links in the posts I pointed to is dead, but here's a copy of it at Tesla Touts Million-Mile Powertrain - HybridCars.com, from 2015.

Last edited:
Reactions: ucmndd

Cyoungster please keep us up to date on what transpires with your vehicle. Just picked up my third Tesla three days ago (MY LR AWD) in Tucson, so am curious as to how the local service people handle your situation.

Rich
I will do that, Rich. My service appointment isn't for 10 more days. At this point I am just not driving the vehicle for fear of being stranded. I have asked for a loaner vehicle but so far just crickets.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I am now getting 3 errors, and the battery will no longer charge at all.

The errors are
1) BMS_a066
2) BMS_a074
3) BMS_a079

My request for a loaner vehicle was denied. They claim they have none to give me. All they are offering are "Uber credits"

I am not impressed.

Often? Post one example of a Tesla reaching a million miles on its original battery.
Indeed. Here are two out of warranty 3s that didn’t even make it to 200K miles on their original packs.

Reactions: AMPd
Current Tesla batteries often can go 1 Million or more miles. They will usually slowly degrade over their lifetimes, but the technology to make long lasting battery packs and motors is already here.
Sorry the OP needed a replacement, but nothing is perfect, and failures can happen.
Overall most believe that Tesla has the finest battery packs available from any manufacturer. They are the leaders in this technology.
So, someone on a Bolt group a claimed "One Tesla owner has reportedly driven his Tesla Model S over a million miles, according to CleanTechnica..."

I found How Long Do Electric Cars Last? This Tesla Has Gone 1 Million Miles!. But from Tesla Model S to clock one million miles and Tesla Model S owner passes incredible one million mile mark, but may switch to Lucid, he's been through several packs and drive units. The former says:
"However, it’s understood the vehicle has been through three battery packs and eight electric motors since 2014 – with the first motor lasting nearly 800,000km, and each subsequent motor failing at around 200,000km."

Honestly, believing that these batteries will last over a million miles seems preposterous. There is zero evidence to back that up, and it sounds like pure marketing.
Point me to any marketing by Tesla claiming a million mile battery life. I think Elon said that the Model 3 packs should last 300-500k miles, but there is no official marketing on the battery life.

I found How Long Do Electric Cars Last? This Tesla Has Gone 1 Million Miles!. But from Tesla Model S to clock one million miles and Tesla Model S owner passes incredible one million mile mark, but may switch to Lucid, he's been through several packs and drive units. The former says:
"However, it’s understood the vehicle has been through three battery packs and eight electric motors since 2014 – with the first motor lasting nearly 800,000km, and each subsequent motor failing at around 200,000km."

That was a Model S. There are some known flaws that have been resolved since that vehicle was designed.

I'm not saying the Model 3 will last a million miles, but it'll be interesting to see in the next 5 or so years the longevity of early Model 3s.

Indeed. Here are two out of warranty 3s that didn’t even make it to 200K miles on their original packs.

To be fair though, both of these cars were sold used, so their history was "washed" and we don't know how they were treated. The second was then used for Uber and supercharged twice a day 6 days a week.

They still both lasted over 120k miles. Plenty of ICE vehicles need major repairs before hitting that mileage.

My 2019 M3LR battery failed in March around 40k miles and Tesla replaced it with a refurbished pack. It’s like any other car despite Tesla marketing it otherwise. It’s going to fail at some point.

Only pain point is that compared to an ICE vehicle I have limited options in terms of diagnostics or repairs and I’m completely dependent on Tesla. Ignore the marketing BS (it’s as true as Elon’s timelines).

Cross your fingers and hope Tesla will give you a decent replacement pack. Someday we might actually be able to get a new pack to replace it from someone more transparent than Tesla.

To be fair though, both of these cars were sold used, so their history was "washed" and we don't know how they were treated. The second was then used for Uber and supercharged twice a day 6 days a week.

They still both lasted over 120k miles. Plenty of ICE vehicles need major repairs before hitting that mileage.
If you buy known reliable vehicles in Consumer Reports from automakers that have a pretty good track record across most models and model years (e.g. Toyota or Lexus), the chances aren't high that they'll need major repairs before 120K miles.

Current Tesla batteries often can go 1 Million or more miles. They will usually slowly degrade over their lifetimes, but the technology to make long lasting battery packs and motors is already here.
Sorry the OP needed a replacement, but nothing is perfect, and failures can happen.
Overall most believe that Tesla has the finest battery packs available from any manufacturer. They are the leaders in this technology.
IDK where people get this BS from. Let's look at the facts. The current MY/M3 battery packs are basically warrantied for 1000 cycles at most. There's some evidence that the packs may last as long as 1500 cycles. A cycle is one complete charge cycle. Let's be generous and assume that means the rated 330 miles on a MY LR today (which isn't really true as we all know). That's 330x1000=330k miles. That's 1000 cycles. If we assume 1500 cycles then it's 330x1500=495k miles. That's not real world though. Figure 80% efficiency on average, so that 330 miles becomes 264 miles. So, real world 264x1000=264k miles. At 1500 cycles it's 264x1500=396k miles. Nowhere close to 1mm miles on average. Sure, there are always outlier cases - but those are exceptions not rules. These are the expected averages for how long the battery packs will last that are in use currently. The only exceptions to this would be the LFP battery packs in the M3 RWD - which will last a good bit longer since all LFP battery packs offer much higher cycles than comparable NCA/NCM packs. If you want any chance of having any pack last anywhere close to 1mm miles at present - buy a BEV with an LFP pack. LFP packs will typically last 3000-4000 cycles in comparison. Given LFP packs are less energy dense and therefore typically offer few miles per charge cycle - so the multipliers will be a bit less - but still - with 272 miles on a M3 RWD - that's 272*3000=816k miles or 272*4000=1,088k miles. Real world 80% efficiency would 652k miles with 3000 cycles or 870k miles with 4000 cycles. Getting closer to 1mm miles - but still not there - but the chemistry in LFP packs is likely to provide more durability than any NCA/NCM packs today at least.

Last edited:
IDK where people get this BS from. Let's look at the facts. The current MY/M3 battery packs are basically warrantied for 1000 cycles at most. There's some evidence that the packs may last as long as 1500 cycles. A cycle is one complete charge cycle. Let's be generous and assume that means the rated 330 miles on a MY LR today (which isn't really true as we all know). That's 330x1000=330k miles. That's 1000 cycles. If we assume 1500 cycles then it's 330x1500=495k miles. That's not real world though. Figure 80% efficiency on average, so that 330 miles becomes 264 miles. So, real world 264x1000=264k miles. At 1500 cycles it's 264x1500=396k miles. Nowhere close to 1mm miles on average. Sure, there are always outlier cases - but those are exceptions not rules. These are the expected averages for how long the battery packs will last that are in use currently. The only exceptions to this would be the LFP battery packs in the M3 RWD - which will last a good bit longer since all LFP battery packs offer much higher cycles than comparable NCA/NCM packs. If you want any chance of having any pack last anywhere close to 1mm miles at present - buy a BEV with an LFP pack. LFP packs will typically last 3000-4000 cycles in comparison. Given LFP packs are less energy dense and therefore typically offer few miles per charge cycle - so the multipliers will be a bit less - but still - with 272 miles on a M3 RWD - that's 272*3000=816k miles or 272*4000=1,088k miles. Real world 80% efficiency would 652k miles with 3000 cycles or 870k miles with 4000 cycles. Getting closer to 1mm miles - but still not there - but the chemistry in LFP packs is likely to provide more durability than any NCA/NCM packs today at least.
I don't have a source, but I thought it was 500 cycles. I remembers hearing this multiple times over the past few years.

Reactions: HitchHiker71