TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

My beautiful baby.. Sigh

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by andrewket, Aug 24, 2013.

1. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

#1 andrewket, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    a5ymazud.jpg

I was distracted pulling into the garage and the clearance is tight. Sigh. The xpel film protected most of the bumper. Once the film is removed there will be two spots where the paint was damaged. Arrggghhh.

Anyone known of a Tesla certified auto body service center in the northern VA or DC-metro Maryland area?

Andrew

2. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

*sad face*

Don't you just hate it when that happens? I got home from a 5-day road trip and backed my S into the garage...right smack into my RDX, which had been moved over from its normal spot in my absence.

Bright midday sun, dark garage, and me worrying about whether I would clear the side mirrors instead of what might be lurking inside. No damage that I can see to either car, but it sure got my attention!

3. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Ouch! So sorry that happened. This is exactly my worry, too. At least some of the damage was reduced by the film. Let us know how much it helped once they remove the film, and how much it costs to repair the bumper.

Just remember, it's just stuff. The contents of the car are what matter most.

4. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Yeah, exactly! The 17" touch screen is fine and the battery is unscathed, so breath easy. :biggrin:

5. Insureit1

Insureit1 Member

Try Criswell Collision in Annapolis. Tesla approved and I see a constant stream of Model S' there all the time. Manager told me they have on avg 3-4 there at any given time being repaired.

6. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Note to self: Avoid Annapolis and surrounding area due to general driving habits of residents. :smile:

7. simplesolar

simplesolar Member

Ouch, I did the same thing first week owning the car. Not as major, but I know that feeling. Sux.

8. texex91

texex91 Banned

Wow, a lot of people damaging their Tesla's in MD!

9. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

I can believe it. I got into a fender bender yesterday and cracked my nosecone, luckily no one was injured and that was the only damage to my car. Only cost me $159 for a replacement nosecone, not too bad, I was expecting much worse. Was able to take it to Rockville service center this morning and Nathan took care of it right away.

10. William13

William13 Member

The same damage cost me $1800 to get fixed.

11. andrewket

Why so much? New bumper? Multi-coat paint?

12. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

a.k.a. people in MD can't drive. neither can people in NY. or NJ. or pretty much any state. except maybe Idaho. and North Dakota.

Clearly I'm made that up. Funny I say that. Bc when I google'd for some real data, I got this:

2009_statebystate_1.gif
    States with lowest and highest rates of motor vehicle crash deaths per 100,000 people, 2009

because ironically it seems DC and NY would be two of the safest while ND is one of the worst. LOL.

13. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The chart needs one more axis: miles driven at speed. Isn't it impossible to get a moving violation in DC?

14. Panacea

Panacea TSLA Shareholder/Believer

I think that the states with the lowest car crash deaths have much traffic, which prevents high speeds, which makes fatalities less likely.

15. cybrown

cybrown Member

Probably also a higher percentage of the population taking public transport, especially in DC. What we need is some metric of accidents normalized by speed and miles driven.

16. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I did this about 6 weeks ago. Fortunately, there was no structural damage and it was entirely paint transfer from my garage to the quarter panel. I was able to polish it off with some m105/205 and then applied some sealant. Didn't appear to be any clear coat damage, but I need to get a paint thickness reading on it now.

17. swegman

swegman Member

EuroPro in Gaithersburg (301-977-7475) recently became Tesla certified.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I think I heard today that the front bumper is around $1000. So add some labor and...

19. andrewket

I took my car to Criswell Collision Center today for an estimate. They are apparently one of the only Tesla certified body repair centers in the mid-atlantic. I was told they had 4 Teslas being worked on this week. One was from Philly, and another from Delaware. It made my 50 mile drive seem short in comparison. The damage to my car was minor. No parts required; they will remove the bumper, sand it, and repaint. 3 day job because of the multi-coat red, ~$650. While the car is there I'm also going to have two of my 21" wheels refinished to fix some road rash for ~$145/wheel.

I asked how the relationship formed between Criswell and Tesla. Apparently Tesla was looking for collision centers who had experience working with aluminum frames. Criswell does work on Audis which apparently use a fair amount of aluminum (I'm assuming RS's and R8's, etc.) They were advertising their Tesla certification on their storefront signage.

20. Diegova11

Diegova11 New Member

#20 Diegova11, Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2014
    Andrew-I know this is an older post but was curious about your experience with CCC. I need a place and EuroPros in Gaithersburg is closer. Thoughts?