Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you really want to do is prevent abuse of the system by those who *ONLY* charge at superchargers near their house and do not charge at home.

The only problem with your statement is that "abuse" is not possible. Therefore, there is nothing that needs to be done. Tesla makes Superchargers for use by all Model S owners regardless of where they live or how many times they charge. Any characterization of "abuse" is in the mind of the accuser and is based upon the opinions and values of the accuser. You want Tesla to formulate policy based upon what you think is or is not appropriate behavior. Except, it's Tesla who gets to define that.

Nice thinking, but it ain't gonna happen. Especially with the China market and the way sales are going there. It's a perception issue

The chinese market is not the US market.

What would be a disaster is for there to be long lines at SCs. That will change the perception in a very negative way and kill sales. The SC network is the backbone of Teslas strategy and if it is not viable due to congestion, that will be the end of it. It will be very hard for Tesla to recover from that even if they fix the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The only problem with your statement is that "abuse" is not possible. Therefore, there is nothing that needs to be done. Tesla makes Superchargers for use by all Model S owners regardless of where they live or how many times they charge. Any characterization of "abuse" is in the mind of the accuser and is based upon the opinions and values of the accuser. You want Tesla to formulate policy based upon what you think is or is not appropriate behavior. Except, it's Tesla who gets to define that.

Sure. Whatever you say. I for one am glad they changed their wording to "while on long trips". It's very akin to fed policy signaling before they change rates.

While Superchargers help mostly on long trips and actually make road trips in an EV doable at all, they are definitely not only to be used that way. Tesla built many Superchargers in places where they serve both local and long distance travel. Their marketing wording isn't a usage policy.

The times I experienced the limited charging power was far away from my home and on Superchargers there are never ever busy. For several months I had no home charger and used Hawthorne many times which was closest to my home. It was before the expansion and it was a very busy Supercharger. No slow downs there. As mentioned before many times, a slower charge rate would not discourage "freeloaders" and locals. 60 kW is still much faster than any alternative, it is still free and it would result in Superchargers being used longer making the problem worse.

The policy changes could always be region dependent, but like anything not everyone is going to be happy no matter what.

I've studied our local Florida DMV statistics and building occupancy rates. It is interesting to note that the counties that have the highest Model S sales (and plug in EVs in general) are also the same counties that have high incidence of multi-unit dwellings (MUDs). Behind California, Florida is has one of the highest sales of Teslas, certainly more than China. It would be very unwise for Tesla to implement a policy that penalized locals in MUDs from charging at Superchargers, particularly if they are not doing the same in China.

Larry

I've studied our local Florida DMV statistics and building occupancy rates. It is interesting to note that the counties that have the highest Model S sales (and plug in EVs in general) are also the same counties that have high incidence of multi-unit dwellings (MUDs). Behind California, Florida is has one of the highest sales of Teslas, certainly more than China. It would be very unwise for Tesla to implement a policy that penalized locals in MUDs from charging at Superchargers, particularly if they are not doing the same in China.

Larry

Which is exactly why I said not everyone is going to be happy no matter what they do.

Supercharger maps like this don't make me thing Tesla is in the business of discouraging local charging. Why else would you so many supercharger sites in the San Francisco bay area (all within a hundred mile radius).
map.png
:

There is only ONE supercharger in the Bay Area and it's the one at the Factory. There is one in Gilroy, many miles away, but I'm not sure if I would include that in the Bay Area. There's a new one in Petaluma, but that is way outside the bay area a hundred miles away.

HPWC are not superchargers.

There is only ONE supercharger in the Bay Area and it's the one at the Factory. There is one in Gilroy, many miles away, but I'm not sure if I would include that in the Bay Area. There's a new one in Petaluma, but that is way outside the bay area a hundred miles away.

From my point of view from the Rockies, the "Bay Area" includes the areas around San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Bay, Suisun Bay, etc. Petaluma is only about 15 miles from San Pablo Bay. Also, Petaluma is on the Petaluma River, which appears to still be tidal at Petaluma. Petaluma counts as Bay Area to me...

From my point of view from the Rockies, the "Bay Area" includes the areas around San Francisco Bay, San Pablo Bay, Suisun Bay, etc. Petaluma is only about 15 miles from San Pablo Bay. Also, Petaluma is on the Petaluma River, which appears to still be tidal at Petaluma. Petaluma counts as Bay Area to me...
Yep. If you watch local news coverage, all the meteorologists include Gilroy and Petaluma as in San Francisco Bay Area. And I would agree with them :)

3 superchargers in the whole Bay Area plus the outlying areas is not a lot of superchargers. Your photo of that map makes it seem like there are dozens and it's not true. Gilroy and Fremont which are 52 miles apart and from Fremont to Petulma is another 70 miles. Gilroy and Fremont are almost always full. I've had to wait just about every single time. Add to that a disproportionate number of Teslas are in the Bay Area compared to other parts of the country and you can see we have a massive shortage of stalls and locations.

I suggest you shift your example to Southern California where it's closer to actually being true.

Which is exactly why I said not everyone is going to be happy no matter what they do.

Yes, I believe we are in agreement.

If Tesla were to implement a policy that penalized locals they would be unhappy as well by the unintended consequences leading to the significant loss of sales to an important market that lives in multi-unit dwellings. Nationally 30% of the population lives in multi-unit dwellings in which installing charging infrastructure is usually problematic more times than not. This is a large segment of the potential market to write-off. Tesla is too smart to shoot themselves in the foot.

Larry

Last edited:

HPWC are not superchargers.

That was not a map of HPWCs. That was the 2016 supercharger map that shows 4 new superchargers being built in the bay area in the next 2 years (btw, Petaluma is definitely part of the Bay Area, it practically borders the bay.

- - - Updated - - -

3 superchargers in the whole Bay Area plus the outlying areas is not a lot of superchargers.

Perhaps I should have been clearer what I was showing. Tesla shows that by the end of next year those 3 superchargers will become 7 superchargers. That's a lot of build-up in a small area. LA is the same.

That was not a map of HPWCs. That was the 2016 supercharger map that shows 4 new superchargers being built in the bay area in the next 2 years (btw, Petaluma is definitely part of the Bay Area, it practically borders the bay.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps I should have been clearer what I was showing. Tesla shows that by the end of next year those 3 superchargers will become 7 superchargers. That's a lot of build-up in a small area. LA is the same.

Not when you consider the per capita population of MSs here compared to everywhere else.

I think long distance travel could simply be a lot of driving even if it isn't geographically in a straight line. I'm fine with locals supercharging at local superchargers just as long as they first charge overnight at home or Tesla will have an unsustainable business model if they're paying for masses of apartment dwellers gasoline.

Last week I took a road trip to LA and Orange County. I was staying in Newport Beach and went to have lunch with a friend in Temecula which is about 80 miles away. I stopped at San Juan Capistrano (about 20 miles along the route) on both legs of the trip. Both times I got the last of 7 stalls, and both times there were other Teslas waiting when I left because every stall was full. I spoke to half a dozen other owners and they were all local. One guy said he "wanted to get his money's worth". Another one, a retired accountant with a 60, said he lived 5 miles away. Both said they had charging at home when I asked them. So much for the theory that locals won't dominate suburban superchargers because their time is worth more than the cost of the electricity that they are saving.