Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car won't charge faster than 60kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems to me that maintenance report does NOT show that the service centre stated throttling was a policy, or that it was a deliberate management action. It only confirmed that the charge rate reduction had been done at the supercharger end, not the vehicle. Just the facts, ma'am, no mention of why.

My head isn't in the sand, and I also am not carrying a pitchfork and torch. In addition I'm hoping that I won't run into this problem at Burlington in a couple of weeks. Although, I'm guessing if I do the impact would only be a delay of 30 minutes - it would piss me off, but not cause a major problem.

Yes, but it also says that the problem was at multiple supercharger stations. IMHO, this makes it unlikely that there was the same malfunction at multiple superchargers all at the same time. Rather, throttling by Tesla makes much more sense.

Malfunction could be due to a new tech installing something incorrectly at multiple locations, or a bug in a revised part, or a new part revision that is installed/setup different from the old one. Any number of malfunctions could manifest at multiple locations before it becomes a known problem.

My experience was the Supercharger tech onsite said that he just replaced the splitter and must have done so incorrectly and that was why I was getting a reduced (<60kW) rate. When I switched to a different stall, no limiting, full 110+kW. Why would I be throttled at one stall and not another (at the same location, within 5 mins) if the policy was to throttle? More likely an Supercharger error, especially because it seemed his laptop connected to the Supercharger gave no indication of the problem. It was only when I asked that he became aware of the problem, and that he figured the issue was his recent installation not splitting the power to the pedestals correctly.

Inconsistent charging speeds at SC?

There's been a couple of times where I arrive at a station with very low SoC, good weather, completely empty, and then the charging speed limited to 60kw. I change stalls and then it's perfectly fine at 120kw. This has been happening for months...at various stations...various times during the day...and yes the cord is seated all the way.

I was thinking about it some more and I was wondering if Tesla uses stationary storage at their SCs to help offset high demand charges from the utility? Could it be possible that the slow stalls where because the station storage was depleted? And then the fast stalls had full stationary storage?

I pulled into Gilroy the other day...there's a meter on the side of the SC that shows the station pulling 8kw when no one is even there. I plug in my car and it shoots up to 130kw...which would suggest it is pulling all of that from the grid, which throws out my demand charge theory...what do you guys think?

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 320
I have seen that thread before(when it was only 11 pages, now its 51)...but the fact that I can always find a stall that will do the full 120kw leads me to believe that they aren't throttling on per VIN basis...and throttling by stall doesn't make sense unless it has a history of failure at higher rates?

None of the data supports the theory that they're throttling for a policy-based reason, yet. File a ticket with service and call the supercharger line to let them know which stall is limiting.

Well, then we'll just disagree.

I would rather funnel customers through my proper service channels where I could investigate properly than be held to respond to every crazy rumor that popped up on a message board, especially when the data just doesn't line up with that crazy rumor (and when non-customers and/or other troublemakers can stir the pot).

Agreed. Tesla should not be answering questions online. Talk about liability.

Did you even read this thread. This has been hashed out multiple times. Once again, that only states the charging was reduced by the supercharger and is not an issue with the vehicle. It says nothing about POLICY or it being intentional. Period.

Shoot the messenger, why don't you? 'ecarfan' was asking for the document that was being discussed so I simply posted the link.

I agree it says nothing about policy.

Agreed. Tesla should not be answering questions online. Talk about liability.

It's a two way street. At the same time, I should not have to find out about limitations on my car or policy changes here on the forums. Tesla needs to be communicating these things directly to customers. Believe me, they've screwed up before on this.

If there was absolutely no policy change that occurred and it ends up being some random issue then I say fine. If there was in fact a change then Tesla is merely showing that they've chosen to continue with their sealed lip approach when in fact they ought to be opening a dialogue with loyal customers.

Well, now I'm going to fan the fire and claim Tesla is limiting based on proximity to home...
Yesterday I charged at the new SLC, UT charger, limited to 55kW. Today, I changed my address listed on the mytesla account page to somewhere in New Jersey and went back to the supercharger. Charged initially at 100kW and as it tapered held 80kW. Used same stall both times.

Yesterday, mytesla address set to Utah:

BEFORE_S.jpg

Today, mytesla address set to New Jersey:

AFTER1_S.jpg

AFTER2_S.jpg

Well, now I'm going to fan the fire and claim Tesla is limiting based on proximity to home...
Yesterday I charged at the new SLC, UT charger, limited to 55kW. Today, I changed my address listed on the mytesla account page to somewhere in New Jersey and went back to the supercharger. Charged initially at 100kW and as it tapered held 80kW. Used same stall both times.

Yesterday, mytesla address set to Utah:

View attachment 76104

Today, mytesla address set to New Jersey:

View attachment 76102

View attachment 76103

Not sure how new the SLC one is, but the one in Hamilton NJ was limited to ~60kW from testing up until the grand opening announcement.

Change you home address back and see if you are once again throttled. If so, that would be complete verification!

Not complete, but it's a good start.

We need to:

a) document more information such as time of day and day of week that it was done, mmh's patterns of charging (are you an occasional SC'er or a habitual local SC'er), car version, etc.
b) try and tighten the timeline up to narrow the variables (1 day gap leaves reasonable chance something else happened in the meantime...)
c) reproduce with other cars and SC's (probably one of the best first steps)
d) start looking for patterns that would explain why many owners in this thread have not experienced any reduction in rate given similar conditions.

I believe mmh saw what he or she saw with respect to the throttling, though I don't know what it means. What I don't understand is why, if Tesla really did want to throttle local cars, (and I am not yet ready to accept that premise) they would do so in a way that is so incredibly easy to circumvent. The car holds so much other information that could be used to determine where "home" is, that we wouldn't have any ability to change. Why use something we can change in 30 seconds?

Today I left my home location set, went to the Fremont Supercharger and I got the normal 118Kw start at 9% SOC. Not the 60kw I have been getting for a few weeks. I left visible Tesla up but it seems to have dropped out at the start of charge. Same time same place and I think the same stall (I was the only one there at the start (11 free stalls) and usually am the only one).