Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
7/2 Ordered CPO S70D, got the canned email.
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.

If I had known it was going to take at least 2 weeks to just ship a the car, I would likely have offered to pick it up in Florida. blah.
It has been 7 1/2 weeks and they have not shipped my car. My DS is a ghost.

Reactions: vesder21
If I had known it was going to take at least 2 weeks to just ship a the car, I would likely have offered to pick it up in Florida. blah.
That sucks, my SA talked me into picking it up simply because he said it isn’t worth the $2k. I can get a flight much cheaper and ship it and save money, or like I think I am going to do, drive it back. Nice way to see some countryside and get in the driver’s seat.

That sucks, my SA talked me into picking it up simply because he said it isn’t worth the $2k. I can get a flight much cheaper and ship it and save money, or like I think I am going to do, drive it back. Nice way to see some countryside and get in the driver’s seat.

Fortunately, there is no transport fee, or I would be livid. I expressly had the CPO Advisor confirm there was no transfer fee, because if there was one I would absolutely have gone down to pick it up. A 10 hour drive is no big deal.

Reactions: bnsn
7/2 Ordered CPO S70D, got the canned email.
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.

yeah I almost switched to a car in ATL a couple of times for the same reason. They came close to what I wanted a couple of times but not quite.

Dashcam set up. Can't see the rear at all from a normal angle, barely see the front one too at a normal angle. Wires completely hidden except right at plug in. Not wired directly to the car, but by an adapter, with an in line fuse added. Lots of forums and YouTube's showing this type of install. Aside the mic grille, I didn't take anything apart for a clean install.

Nice setup. Mine unfortunately didn't have the extra wire harness so I had to get one of the OBDII charging plug run.

Well - my MS 85 CPO car delivered from Boston on the 21st is in the shop in Montreal for a drive replacement. Had the hum and clunking sounds and the service tech said needs a new drive. They loaned me a brand new 90D. WOW - quick.

Tried auto pilot and quickly turned it off - either I am a Luddite or I am not comfortable being driven by a car that seems to emulate my boys when they first were learning to drive. I am very happy we saved money on the CPO while Tesla perfects the autopilot.

The 90D is much quieter than our car so hopeful that the new drive will fix things.

Anyone else get a CPO that needed a new drive right away?

My DU was replaced as part of the refurbishment.

Hello. I wanted to share my CPO Model S buying experience.
June13: Found a 2014 Model S 85 with 19k miles. Put down deposit the same day.
July 3: Received email saying the car was ready for pickup and scheduled a time.
July 7: Picked up car at Buena Park Tesla.
Total time around 3 1/2 weeks. I'm sure it was so fast because there were no major issues to address.
At our appointed time they had all the documents ready to go and I was on my way in less than an hour.
The car is awesome and is like new. I was apprehensive about buying such an expensive, used car sight unseen but
reading through this message board gave me confidence that it would be OK. I would definitely recommend it.

Holy smokes...that's awesome. Congrats!!

Update:
I dropped my lease off at the Nissan dealer and Tesla picked me up there and brought me to their dealership to put me in a rental car until my CPO is ready. While there I asked where my car was at and was informed it was out back, "Would you like to see it?" HELL YES

The car is a 2013 S85 and shows mild wear on the exterior for it's age. It has a tiny ding in the hood they will fix and the front bumper on the passenger side has a parking rash on it they said the body shop will fix.

The rotors looked a bit rusty like the car sat a while and the calipers slightly corroded looking. The interior from what I could see looked very good even before they cleaned it up. The car was full with a set of tires in it in bags. I took a look on the outside and noticed it was running a set of Michelin X-Ice tires. The ones inside must be a summer set. Slightly bummed though because my sales rep said he does not believe the extra set can be included.

Also slightly bummed because the mirrors don't appear to be power folding even though it has the tech package. The center button on the armrest is blank. Did earlier models have a different way to power fold mirrors?

So no delivery update other than the car has officially been inspected and the sales rep will get me a copy of the report.

One other question. When I opened the door, a fairly loud motor came on under the car? Rep said it was trying to cool the car a bit since it was in the 90's. I don't recall hearing a loud motor during my other test drives but may have had the door closed then and just didn't notice.

One other question. When I opened the door, a fairly loud motor came on under the car? Rep said it was trying to cool the car a bit since it was in the 90's. I don't recall hearing a loud motor during my other test drives but may have had the door closed then and just didn't notice.

Most likely the A/C and fan. My 2014 is pretty loud when I get in and the climate is on.

Spoke to our DS (Carlos) yesterday who confirmed with the Dallas SC we should be good to go for delivery late the week of the 24th. We are hoping that pans out as we have to be in Dallas the 28-30th for a wedding and picking up the 28th would work out perfectly.

If delivery ends up being the 28th, that would be exactly 6 weeks from purchase date. (6-8 week estimate originally given)

So far both our SA (Derek - Fremont) and DS (Carlos - Utah) have been very responsive (and helpful). High remarks and recommendations for both.

Last edited: