Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My CPO buying experience timeline

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a funny (well, maybe not) experience today... I'm five weeks in, and asked my CPO adviser if he had an update he could share regarding the estimate delivery date. So far, I've only dealt with him, and information related to the car is hard to come by. I was sent back a messaging saying that my car was in final stages of being refurbished, had gone through the inspection, parts had been ordered and received, and it was going through the final checks. It even came up with a pdf of the inspection report!
Well, the PDF was a sample, and when I pressed for the inspection report and an estimate of delivery, was told neither was available and I was still on the original estimate I was given of 8-10 weeks. Essentially a non update....

Big update today! DS is back from PTO and called me to schedule delivery and sent me pictures! Car still needs to be detailed but it is in Columbus. I'm on vacation with the family in the deep woods of NW Michigan, scheduled delivery for this Friday 7/28, aka Model 3 reveal day. We are driving home that day so 8 hours in the car, quick shower to get the camp fire smell off me, then uber to the service center for a 5pm delivery.

IMG_0219.jpg IMG_0217.jpg IMG_0218.jpg

06/19 - Ordered in Montreal's SC, car is coming from Toronto. Delivery estimate end of July.
06/22 - Got email about financing from California, numbers for my trade-in need to be updated.
06/23 - Got confirmation from CPO advisor that car arrived in Montréal already :)
06/23 - Asked for pictures but CPO advisor politely suggested to wait until the car is ready.
06/27 - Called Credit Analyst in California and got numbers right for financing.
06/29 - Texted CPO advisor for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
06/30 - Texted CPO advisor again for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
07/03 - Called CPO advisor about Trade-in sale and he emailed back asking for some docs.
07/04 - Got contacted by person who will take care of the Trade-in and that should be done by Friday.
07/04 - First contact with DS, he says car is going through certification process, will update me at the end of the week.
07/04 - Got a call from CPO advisor late in the day, he offered to match the private offer I had for my trade-in.
07/06 - Dropped off my trade-in at the SC for inspection, due to some miscommunication not the best experience.
I spent over 2 hours at the service center while actually that was not needed.
07/07 - Trade-in step shows as complete in MyTesla. 4 out of 6 completed.
07/07 - DS confirmed that car is in the body shop and he will update me when car is back at the SC.
07/11 - DS asked for up to date payout letter for the loan on my trade-in.
07/11 - Sent payout letter and DS got back asking me to drop by the store to give him a check for the negative equity.
07/11 - Trade-in is officially transferred to Tesla. DS confirmed the car is still in the body shop.
07/18 - Emailed DS for update but got no response.
07/19 - Texted DS to ask if he saw my email from yesterday. He responded saying he was out of the office and will reach out to me shortly.
07/20 - Texted DS again for update. Got response saying car is still in the body shop which will be closed the next 2 weeks due to construction holidays. Bummed about this. Likely update on Monday.
07/20 - Texted back saying that this will put the delivery date way over the original estimate. Got response he will try to update me tomorrow.
07/21 - No news from the DS so I texted him around 5pm. He confirms car is back from the body shop (good news!) and it will be scheduled for inspection on Monday.
07/25 - Texted DS for update. Car is waiting for parts to complete recertification.

7/2 Ordered CPO S70D, got the canned email.
7/5 Got a call from my CPO Advisor with an email to go over the process, answer any questions, etc etc.
7/10 Got a canned email from the DS that I should complete my financing and insurance info so they could lock in a delivery date. Emailed back asking where the car was.
7/11 The DS actually emailed back and said the car is still in Florida and that it typically takes them 2 weeks to arrange and ship a car.
7/24 Email the CPO Advisor asking for an update.
7/25 CPO Advisor actually emails back. The car is now at the Raleigh SC for inspection and reconditioning! Will be available for delivery "as early as Saturday, August 12th" Which to me says, it probably wont be the 12th.

This would make the 3 to 5 weeks for delivery I was first quoted aggressively optimistic, and the typical 6-8 weeks that most people here are dealing with more likely.

06/19 - Ordered in Montreal's SC, car is coming from Toronto. Delivery estimate end of July.
06/22 - Got email about financing from California, numbers for my trade-in need to be updated.
06/23 - Got confirmation from CPO advisor that car arrived in Montréal already :)
06/23 - Asked for pictures but CPO advisor politely suggested to wait until the car is ready.
06/27 - Called Credit Analyst in California and got numbers right for financing.
06/29 - Texted CPO advisor for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
06/30 - Texted CPO advisor again for Trade-in sale update and got no answer.
07/03 - Called CPO advisor about Trade-in sale and he emailed back asking for some docs.
07/04 - Got contacted by person who will take care of the Trade-in and that should be done by Friday.
07/04 - First contact with DS, he says car is going through certification process, will update me at the end of the week.
07/04 - Got a call from CPO advisor late in the day, he offered to match the private offer I had for my trade-in.
07/06 - Dropped off my trade-in at the SC for inspection, due to some miscommunication not the best experience.
I spent over 2 hours at the service center while actually that was not needed.
07/07 - Trade-in step shows as complete in MyTesla. 4 out of 6 completed.
07/07 - DS confirmed that car is in the body shop and he will update me when car is back at the SC.
07/11 - DS asked for up to date payout letter for the loan on my trade-in.
07/11 - Sent payout letter and DS got back asking me to drop by the store to give him a check for the negative equity.
07/11 - Trade-in is officially transferred to Tesla. DS confirmed the car is still in the body shop.
07/18 - Emailed DS for update but got no response.
07/19 - Texted DS to ask if he saw my email from yesterday. He responded saying he was out of the office and will reach out to me shortly.
07/20 - Texted DS again for update. Got response saying car is still in the body shop which will be closed the next 2 weeks due to construction holidays. Bummed about this. Likely update on Monday.
07/20 - Texted back saying that this will put the delivery date way over the original estimate. Got response he will try to update me tomorrow.
07/21 - No news from the DS so I texted him around 5pm. He confirms car is back from the body shop (good news!) and it will be scheduled for inspection on Monday.
07/25 - Texted DS for update. Car is waiting for parts to complete recertification.
07/25 - Emailed CPO advisor asking for a new delivery estimate considering the car is waiting for parts. He got back to me saying he got news from the service guys and that the DS will reach out to me shortly.
07/25 - DS texted saying recertification has been completed and that only SAAQ (Canada's DMV) certification is pending. Aiming for Thursday delivery :D

I had a funny (well, maybe not) experience today... I'm five weeks in, and asked my CPO adviser if he had an update he could share regarding the estimate delivery date. So far, I've only dealt with him, and information related to the car is hard to come by. I was sent back a messaging saying that my car was in final stages of being refurbished, had gone through the inspection, parts had been ordered and received, and it was going through the final checks. It even came up with a pdf of the inspection report!
Well, the PDF was a sample, and when I pressed for the inspection report and an estimate of delivery, was told neither was available and I was still on the original estimate I was given of 8-10 weeks. Essentially a non update....

I got something similar and had to ask for the pre-refurb'd checklist to figure out what was repaired/replaced. Definitely keep pressing. Once they are done with refurb and just about ready for delivery, it's like a floodgate opening. Unless there isn't much to be refurb the back and forth with the DS should be fast and furious when it's ready for delivery. Ask pointed questions and specifics. Good luck!

7/1 : Deposit placed for S85
7/1 : Received automated "Let's complete your order" email
7/1 : Received automated "Thank you for your order" email with PDFs attached
7/1 : Received email from sales adviser. Email indicated they would call the next day (Sunday) and that I should hold of on financing
7/1 : Responded to sales adviser indicating I looked forward to the call the next day and that the PDF sent via automated email had the incorrect price listed.
7/2 : Sales adviser called. Discussed the following: 4-6 weeks for delivery of car is expected, ask was prior to Aug 10th (5.5 weeks); Discussed incorrect price listed in PDF, Sales adviser will enter a request in the system to resolve discrepancy; Process: 200+ point inspection, Week 1/2: nothing will occur, Week 3/4: Inspection completed along with any service items, Week 5/6: Cosmetic issues address, End of Week 6: Delivery; Completion of items on Tesla website; Q&A Session
7/2 : Received email from sales adviser. Email replicated much of the phone conversation. Email documented the ask for delivery prior to Aug 10th. "Tesla Post Order Packet PDF" attached
7/7 : Sent an email to Sales adviser - Asked if the Inspection Report can be sent when complete; Asked if pictures of car could be sent; Asked if the car has 3G or LTE; Other misc questions
7/7 : Received automated email that SA is OOO until 7/11
7/11 : Sent an email to SA with an additional question - how long the delivery would take?
7/11 : Received emails from SA - Inspection report will be provided at delivery as it will not be completed until then; Will inquire with SC to take pictures but after the car is back from vendors (it's already at a vendor?!?!); 3G not LTE (can install LTE prior to delivery for ~$500)
7/14 : Sent an email to SA - Provided a response on 3G vs LTE; Inquired on the status of the car, price adjustment and pictures
7/18: Tried calling SA.
7/19: Called SA. Price discrepancy resolved. Car has not started the inspection process so the process is already behind schedule. Sounds like there will be increased capacity for processing CPOs starting this week so the hopefully it moves forward soon (with high quality). We plan to discuss the current status on 7/25.
7/25: SA had indicated that if I had not heard from them by noon on the 25th to reach out to them. I got a hold of SA in the afternoon as I had not heard from them at noon and there was a long pause after asking about the current status. Instant feeling of being let down. After the pause (looking up information) the SA indicated that they needed to discuss the status with their manager which I was perplexed by. I interpreted this to mean that the car still had not moved an inch in three and half weeks. SA indicated that they would give me a call back once the discussion was over. I had not heard back at ~5:45PM so gave SA a call on drive home from work. SA confirmed that the car had not processed at all. Reason for this is the large number of CPOs being processed (that were purchased the first two weeks in June and are still being processed?) and an underestimation of how long they would take to process. It sounds like all of the cars are actually being transferred to a new facility and that they are bringing on new techs to handle the increased workload. I'm torn on if this is a good thing or not, not sure if all of the issues will be found and correctly addressed prior to delivery. It also sounds like the regional service manager is in town to help accelerate the process (and probably other things). SA indicated that a delivery within 6 weeks is likely not going to happen and that 7 weeks is more realistic at this point. I was honestly thinking that this is probably an optimistic statement but then the SA then followed up with comments that delivery by the 9th may in fact still be possible though we would not know until the last minute. What a roller coaster. SA recommended that we reconnect on August 2nd which seems like forever away.

I got something similar and had to ask for the pre-refurb'd checklist to figure out what was repaired/replaced. Definitely keep pressing. Once they are done with refurb and just about ready for delivery, it's like a floodgate opening. Unless there isn't much to be refurb the back and forth with the DS should be fast and furious when it's ready for delivery. Ask pointed questions and specifics. Good luck!
thanks... I'd probably feel better about the whole thing if i've been introduced to the DS at this point. That's why I'm suspect the car is no where having the refurb process or complete (or even started)

7/1 : Deposit placed for S85
7/1 : Received automated "Let's complete your order" email
7/1 : Received automated "Thank you for your order" email with PDFs attached
7/1 : Received email from sales adviser. Email indicated they would call the next day (Sunday) and that I should hold of on financing
7/1 : Responded to sales adviser indicating I looked forward to the call the next day and that the PDF sent via automated email had the incorrect price listed.
7/2 : Sales adviser called. Discussed the following: 4-6 weeks for delivery of car is expected, ask was prior to Aug 10th (5.5 weeks); Discussed incorrect price listed in PDF, Sales adviser will enter a request in the system to resolve discrepancy; Process: 200+ point inspection, Week 1/2: nothing will occur, Week 3/4: Inspection completed along with any service items, Week 5/6: Cosmetic issues address, End of Week 6: Delivery; Completion of items on Tesla website; Q&A Session
7/2 : Received email from sales adviser. Email replicated much of the phone conversation. Email documented the ask for delivery prior to Aug 10th. "Tesla Post Order Packet PDF" attached
7/7 : Sent an email to Sales adviser - Asked if the Inspection Report can be sent when complete; Asked if pictures of car could be sent; Asked if the car has 3G or LTE; Other misc questions
7/7 : Received automated email that SA is OOO until 7/11
7/11 : Sent an email to SA with an additional question - how long the delivery would take?
7/11 : Received emails from SA - Inspection report will be provided at delivery as it will not be completed until then; Will inquire with SC to take pictures but after the car is back from vendors (it's already at a vendor?!?!); 3G not LTE (can install LTE prior to delivery for ~$500)
7/14 : Sent an email to SA - Provided a response on 3G vs LTE; Inquired on the status of the car, price adjustment and pictures
7/18: Tried calling SA.
7/19: Called SA. Price discrepancy resolved. Car has not started the inspection process so the process is already behind schedule. Sounds like there will be increased capacity for processing CPOs starting this week so the hopefully it moves forward soon (with high quality). We plan to discuss the current status on 7/25.
7/25: SA had indicated that if I had not heard from them by noon on the 25th to reach out to them. I got a hold of SA in the afternoon as I had not heard from them at noon and there was a long pause after asking about the current status. Instant feeling of being let down. After the pause (looking up information) the SA indicated that they needed to discuss the status with their manager which I was perplexed by. I interpreted this to mean that the car still had not moved an inch in three and half weeks. SA indicated that they would give me a call back once the discussion was over. I had not heard back at ~5:45PM so gave SA a call on drive home from work. SA confirmed that the car had not processed at all. Reason for this is the large number of CPOs being processed (that were purchased the first two weeks in June and are still being processed?) and an underestimation of how long they would take to process. It sounds like all of the cars are actually being transferred to a new facility and that they are bringing on new techs to handle the increased workload. I'm torn on if this is a good thing or not, not sure if all of the issues will be found and correctly addressed prior to delivery. It also sounds like the regional service manager is in town to help accelerate the process (and probably other things). SA indicated that a delivery within 6 weeks is likely not going to happen and that 7 weeks is more realistic at this point. I was honestly thinking that this is probably an optimistic statement but then the SA then followed up with comments that delivery by the 9th may in fact still be possible though we would not know until the last minute. What a roller coaster. SA recommended that we reconnect on August 2nd which seems like forever away.

which service center is your car located in?

Big update today! DS is back from PTO and called me to schedule delivery and sent me pictures! Car still needs to be detailed but it is in Columbus. I'm on vacation with the family in the deep woods of NW Michigan, scheduled delivery for this Friday 7/28, aka Model 3 reveal day. We are driving home that day so 8 hours in the car, quick shower to get the camp fire smell off me, then uber to the service center for a 5pm delivery.

View attachment 237626 View attachment 237627 View attachment 237625

Your car looks exactly like the one I took delivery of yesterday.

• Love
Reactions: seabie
Success!! Finally got to pick up our 2013 CPO Model S 85 yesterday. I'm not going to write a long timeline, just know that we bought it on Fire Sale Day, were given a 4-5 week estimate, and we picked it up 7 weeks later. Communication was slow and arduous, but we made it!

Pickup was at Highland Park in Chicago. We arrived promptly on time, were told ahead of time to expect it would take an hour, and then it took 2.5 hours. Some of that was due to a few issues found (see below), but mostly the delivery guy was really freaking slow. Every time he disappeared to do something (ask someone else a question, get papers, whatever), it took 20 minutes. I really have no idea why. He also had ZERO sense of humor, so that didn't help.

Overall the vehicle is in very good shape, especially for it having 60K miles. There are a few small cosmetic things they will address at a future appointment. More importantly though, there were two car specs that were not correct (per the vehicle spec listing): the seats are the wrong kind, and the wheels are the wrong kind. Wheels are super easy for them to replace, seats not so much... but they are replacing them with the correct kind on my insistence (it was actually a differentiating factor for us in picking this particular one). The excuse was that "the information was just entered wrong into the system when the car was made". Apparently nobody noticed either of these two things during inspection...?? Ah well, at least they are fixing them, and the bonus is that my 4 year old car will have new seats ;-).

I got the refurbishment report, showing that my car has both a new drive unit and new tires. Other noted things were rather minor. Carpet floor mats were obviously new... but then we immediately replaced them with all-weather mats anyway.

Special bonuses that were not obvious from the original purchase info: the car has a drop-in center console with iPhone dock (YES!!), Michelin Primacy tires (can't complain about that!), and the LTE upgrade installed (woohoo!). That's like $2K of upgrades right there, so special thanks to the previous owner ;-).

Orientation was surprisingly brief (15 minutes?) and the guy skipped a lot. It was basically just an overview of the screens. Had I not already known quite a bit about the Model S, I would have been lost. He couldn't answer questions terribly well, and for at least one thing he gave me the wrong answer (which I knew at the time but didn't argue). He didn't even show us how to use the keyfob!

All in all, very happy so far. Feels like we got a great deal on it, especially given the extra upgrades, and once the seats and wheels are right it will be even better.

Last edited:
Success!! Finally got to pick up our 2013 CPO Model S 85 yesterday. I'm not going to write a long timeline, just know that we bought it on Fire Sale Day, were given a 4-5 week estimate, and we picked it up 7 weeks later. Communication was slow and arduous, but we made it!

Pickup was at Highland Park in Chicago. We arrived promptly on time, were told ahead of time to expect it would take an hour, and then it took 2.5 hours. Some of that was due to a few issues found (see below), but mostly the delivery guy was really freaking slow. Every time he disappeared to do something (ask someone else a question, get papers, whatever), it took 20 minutes. I really have no idea why. He also had ZERO sense of humor, so that didn't help.

Overall the vehicle is in very good shape, especially for it having 60K miles. There are a few small cosmetic things they will address at a future appointment. More importantly though, there were two car specs that were not correct (per the vehicle spec listing): the seats are the wrong kind, and the wheels are the wrong kind. Wheels are super easy for them to replace, seats not so much... but they are replacing them with the correct kind on my insistence (it was actually a differentiating factor for us in picking this particular one). The excuse was that "the information was just entered wrong into the system when the car was made". Apparently nobody noticed either of these two things during inspection...?? Ah well, at least they are fixing them, and the bonus is that my 4 year old car will have new seats ;-).

I got the refurbishment report, showing that my car has both a new drive unit and new tires. Other noted things were rather minor. Carpet floor mats were obviously new... but then we immediately replaced them with all-weather mats anyway.

Special bonuses that were not obvious from the original purchase info: the car has a drop-in center console with iPhone dock (YES!!), Michelin Primacy tires (can't complain about that!), and the LTE upgrade installed (woohoo!). That's like $2K of upgrades right there, so special thanks to the previous owner ;-).

Orientation was surprisingly brief (15 minutes?) and the guy skipped a lot. It was basically just an overview of the screens. Had I not already known quite a bit about the Model S, I would have been lost. He couldn't answer questions terribly well, and for at least one thing he gave me the wrong answer (which I knew at the time but didn't argue). He didn't even show us how to use the keyfob!

All in all, very happy so far. Feels like we got a great deal on it, especially given the extra upgrades, and once the seats and wheels are right it will be even better.
Thanks for posting this! Although I'm only about 3 weeks into my experience, it feels like it's been a year and stories like this makes it a bit easier to get day to day. :)

Congrats!!! The happy stories are always a good reminder that something positive will come from this process.

Reactions: s00nr1
Your car looks exactly like the one I took delivery of yesterday.

I trust you are happy with it?

Friday is my pick up date. It will be the end of 7 weeks waiting. They gave a wonderful loaner for the last week and it made all the difference. They are working hard on this after 6 weeks of waiting they did a great job. Update everyone about how the pick up goes so you all can know what to expect.

Friday delivery cheers! I will also post details on my experience as well.

@iluvmacs I'm also picking up a ~60k miles S and your experience sounds great to me. After weeks of waiting the excitement is real!!