Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My disaster of a delivery experience (No quality control)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No word from Tesla Lynnwood still. No return calls after my voicemails from Friday morning and again this morning.

So I called Tesla corporate, and they said they have no record that my car was ever sold. Not to me. Not to anyone else. No purchase agreement. Nothing. They said the VIN shows as "new inventory", and is therefore available for sale. LOL. What will happen next?

I kinda have an update. First, my car is still in service for the low voltage battery issues and the door that broke and fell. I also reached out to the arbitration company to start the lemon process a couple of weeks ago after a family discussion about it. We don't trust it to be drivable. We don't trust the doors to be able to open or close. We don't trust that we will make it home if we drive it somewhere. We simply don't trust it. It's really sad considering this is our 4th Tesla, and the others have been the best cars I have ever owned. If this was our first Tesla, we'd never buy another.

Tesla just responded to the arbitrator and is trying to claim the "time in service" does not start until the parts needed are available. That's...laughable. Apparently, if the car sits at a service center for weeks before parts are delivered, they think that time does not count. It's still at the service center waiting for who knows what, and Tesla did not even mention that in their official response. The service center stopped communicating once I filed the arbitration claim as well...which I was told is par for the course despite Tesla's response claiming "Tesla is confident we can restore Claimant’s confidence in the Subject
Vehicle." How do they expect to do that if they won't communicate?

Still no word from Tesla corporate or the service center about the status of my buyback/exchange request or the repair. The battery has been at 0% for a few days now,. and I'm getting notifications from the car saying battery damage may occur if left at this level.

And I just received a call today about the Enterprise rental car that Tesla gave us a couple of weeks ago and was told that Tesla is not paying the bill anymore and it's now our responsibility. I'll be contacting Tesla about that.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
This is insane.

I am taking delivery from Lynnwood (hopefully in a month or so) and your experience is making me nervous.
Please keep us updated
If I were you, I'd look over every inch of your delivered car. Then never ever step foot in that place again.

Check out the Google reviews for Lynnwood Tesla. It's horrid! One customer's car was delivered with scratches all over.

Reactions: rpo
Still no word from Tesla corporate or the service center about the status of my buyback/exchange request or the repair. The battery has been at 0% for a few days now,. and I'm getting notifications from the car saying battery damage may occur if left at this level.

And I just received a call today about the Enterprise rental car that Tesla gave us a couple of weeks ago and was told that Tesla is not paying the bill anymore and it's now our responsibility. I'll be contacting Tesla about that.
Any lemon law attorneys in your area? You seriously need some representation. This is like David vs Goliath.

Any lemon law attorneys in your area? You seriously need some representation. This is like David vs Goliath.

Yep, just retained one today. I called Tesla corporate 6x about this over the past few weeks, and every rep said the same thing: "This has been escalated to management, and the buyback team will call you within 1-2 days." Nobody ever called. Tesla had the opportunity to do a simple buyback or exchange but instead will end up with a MX with a title defect (lemon). Amazingly, I plan on buying another Tesla (#5) once this whole fiasco is resolved.

Yep, just retained one today. I called Tesla corporate 6x about this over the past few weeks, and every rep said the same thing: "This has been escalated to management, and the buyback team will call you within 1-2 days." Nobody ever called. Tesla had the opportunity to do a simple buyback or exchange but instead will end up with a MX with a title defect (lemon). Amazingly, I plan on buying another Tesla (#5) once this whole fiasco is resolved.
Wow I am shocked you're going to buy another one. Looks like Tesla is going to open up their charging networks going forward, so you'll have other options on the market now to think about.

Here's another hilarious update. Despite that I started the lemon process last week, today I had to take a bus 100 miles, and then an Uber 10 miles, to get to the service center to pick up my X after it spent 5 weeks there for the door and low voltage issues otherwise they would start fining me for not picking up the car. The service tech retrieved the car, pulled it up in front, and then things went sideways. First, the car was stuck in service mode, so I had to go back inside to get that fixed so it was driavable. Then it was stuck in valet mode, so that needed to be fixed. Meanwhile, the charge port door was oddly opening and closing randomly. We eventually realized it was opening and closing every 30 seconds to a minute or so whether the car was on, in drive, off and locked, etc. It didn't matter what I or the service tech did....the door was opening and closing on its own, and the driver's screen showed the driver's door opening and closing at the same time even when that door was not moving.

They tried to convince me to wait for them to fix it...as if the non-stop electrical gremlins would be fixable in an hour...all while the car opened and closed the door on its own right in front of the service tech. I told them to keep the damn car, requested another Uber, went to a nearby bar for a bit, and then took a $450 Uber 100 miles home. I did not even get an apology. I'll be making Tesla cover my travel expenses for the day after this debacle.

I've have had a total of 5 days with this car without issues out of 109 days of ownership. Absolutely ridiculous.

Here's another hilarious update. Despite that I started the lemon process last week, today I had to take a bus 100 miles, and then an Uber 10 miles, to get to the service center to pick up my X after it spent 5 weeks there for the door and low voltage issues otherwise they would start fining me for not picking up the car. The service tech retrieved the car, pulled it up in front, and then things went sideways. First, the car was stuck in service mode, so I had to go back inside to get that fixed so it was driavable. Then it was stuck in valet mode, so that needed to be fixed. Meanwhile, the charge port door was oddly opening and closing randomly. We eventually realized it was opening and closing every 30 seconds to a minute or so whether the car was on, in drive, off and locked, etc. It didn't matter what I or the service tech did....the door was opening and closing on its own, and the driver's screen showed the driver's door opening and closing at the same time even when that door was not moving.

They tried to convince me to wait for them to fix it...as if the non-stop electrical gremlins would be fixable in an hour...all while the car opened and closed the door on its own right in front of the service tech. I told them to keep the damn car, requested another Uber, went to a nearby bar for a bit, and then took a $450 Uber 100 miles home. I did not even get an apology. I'll be making Tesla cover my travel expenses for the day after this debacle.

I've have had a total of 5 days with this car without issues out of 109 days of ownership. Absolutely ridiculous.
holly crap!!!

I called Tesla corporate today, and they blamed the service manager for the lack of progress on the buyback for not responding to them, so I called the service manager in Bellevue (who was a different person than the service manager that called me a month ago). The current service manager confirmed she responded back a couple of weeks ago to corporate, which is good and likely puts the blame back on corporate.

But....she had no idea of the fiasco that occurred yesterday where the car was actively malfunctioning in front of the service tech exactly at the moment they were handing me the key nor that the car still being broken left me stranded 100 miles from home. I was then told that the car malfunctioning was probably due to the car sitting in their lot for weeks after the repairs were done. Just think about that explanation. The car will break again if left sitting? Also, nobody ever told me the car was repaired, and I checked the app an ungodly # of times over the past month for updates only to see that it was still in service EVERY SINGLE TIME. I told the service manager this, and I was told I was lying because they have read receipts. I let her know I have screenshots from the app proving the car was in service, and no messages made it to me until a week ago. The conversation ended with her saying she was going to reach out to corporate to see what could be done and then she would call me back.

Side note, I used to get text message updates when my cars have been in service in addition to the service messages in the app. Is that feature gone now? Often I would only get the text message update, then would open the app to see the message. The last time I received one was in December, so currently if the horrible service section of the app does not notify me (or my messages to service are not delivered which has been a common issue), then there's zero communication between Tesla and their customers. Does anyone else feel a bit of anger ever time they call Tesla and hear the recording "YOU MUST USE THE APP FOR ALL SERVICE REQUESTS"? I loathe hearing that. I literally cannot use the app to schedule service because the app only shows the 3 service centers closest to me...and all 3 are in Canada and won't touch a US based car. Choosing one of those locations for service results in a canceled appointment about an hour later with zero communication about why. Speaking of service updates through the app, I got a push notification moments ago that there was a message from service...but the last message in the app is from Wednesday.

I should not have said I was planning to buy another Tesla 11 days ago.

Here we go again with another update. I picked up the car from the service center late at night a couple of days ago (and let them know I was doing up-front as well) since that was when I could make the journey down there. The car was in the lot...and oddly unlocked. There were foot prints everywhere inside including on the seats...not a big deal, but come on. Cleaning it up after a repair should be a basic courtesy.

I began driving home, and the car is stuck in some sort of service mode and I cannot exceed 50 MPH. I called Tesla (only roadside was open), and they tried to fix it for two hours and eventually said only the service center can turn it off...but they don't open until 8 AM. And it chimes non-stop if I go over 48, so 48 it is for my sanity. For 120 miles. On surface streets. All the way home.

At about 2 AM, it began pouring rain out of nowhere, and the automatic wipers did not turn on. It's been months since I've driven the car at this point, and I was frantically hitting the wiper button trying to see the road and was so focused on not going off the road into a ditch that I did not realize that button opens a menu to manually turn the wipers on. After hitting that button a bunch of times, it stopped responding quickly and I could only get one swipe every 3-4 seconds, and the rain was too heavy for that, so I stopped in the middle of the deserted road and then found how to manually turn them on. That was fun. I'm glad it was a perfectly straight road at that time. Now that I knew how to turn them on/off, I kept trying to turn them back to auto for the next hour or so and they never once worked. Not for a single wipe.

When the rain tapered off, I thought I was hearing water dripping inside the car...or I was either losing my mind (since it was nearly 3 AM). I did appreciate how quiet the X was at this point since it really really really seemed like water was dripping inside the car behind me and I was trying to look behind me with the dome lights on over and over. I got home and went straight to sleep. The next morning, I found drips of water on the back seat and floor...it had been leaking from the falcon wing door where they repaired it (I think). Not sure how the water was getting in still, but the carpet was soaked in one section. Also, the repaired falcon wing door only opens a few inches and stops. There's no indicator on the screen that it is detecting an object either. It just stops at the same d*mn point every time which then requires holding the open button for 15 seconds to finish the job. That's insanely frustrating.

Two days later, I have no fixes on the speed limiter issue from Tesla so far, but the shop manager has been working on it and communicating well. The service manager though, who I left an angry voicemail for late Tuesday night during my fun drive home, has not returned my call still.

P.S. I did find out yesterday that the prior repair (where the door was opening and closing on its own as they pulled the "repaired" car up in front of the service center entrance for me to pick up) was due to "water intrusion causing a short" as per the service record (which takes a call to Tesla corporate to obtain which seems way too difficult). That occurred after the falcon wing door was repaired and the car was likely sitting in the lot for 5 weeks in the rain, so maybe these issues are all related to the water intrusion? Who knows. Who cares.

I am tired of these updates. I honestly don't know what could go wrong next.

Here we go again with another update. I picked up the car from the service center late at night a couple of days ago (and let them know I was doing up-front as well) since that was when I could make the journey down there. The car was in the lot...and oddly unlocked. There were foot prints everywhere inside including on the seats...not a big deal, but come on. Cleaning it up after a repair should be a basic courtesy.

I began driving home, and the car is stuck in some sort of service mode and I cannot exceed 50 MPH. I called Tesla (only roadside was open), and they tried to fix it for two hours and eventually said only the service center can turn it off...but they don't open until 8 AM. And it chimes non-stop if I go over 48, so 48 it is for my sanity. For 120 miles. On surface streets. All the way home.

At about 2 AM, it began pouring rain out of nowhere, and the automatic wipers did not turn on. It's been months since I've driven the car at this point, and I was frantically hitting the wiper button trying to see the road and was so focused on not going off the road into a ditch that I did not realize that button opens a menu to manually turn the wipers on. After hitting that button a bunch of times, it stopped responding quickly and I could only get one swipe every 3-4 seconds, and the rain was too heavy for that, so I stopped in the middle of the deserted road and then found how to manually turn them on. That was fun. I'm glad it was a perfectly straight road at that time. Now that I knew how to turn them on/off, I kept trying to turn them back to auto for the next hour or so and they never once worked. Not for a single wipe.

When the rain tapered off, I thought I was hearing water dripping inside the car...or I was either losing my mind (since it was nearly 3 AM). I did appreciate how quiet the X was at this point since it really really really seemed like water was dripping inside the car behind me and I was trying to look behind me with the dome lights on over and over. I got home and went straight to sleep. The next morning, I found drips of water on the back seat and floor...it had been leaking from the falcon wing door where they repaired it (I think). Not sure how the water was getting in still, but the carpet was soaked in one section. Also, the repaired falcon wing door only opens a few inches and stops. There's no indicator on the screen that it is detecting an object either. It just stops at the same d*mn point every time which then requires holding the open button for 15 seconds to finish the job. That's insanely frustrating.

Two days later, I have no fixes on the speed limiter issue from Tesla so far, but the shop manager has been working on it and communicating well. The service manager though, who I left an angry voicemail for late Tuesday night during my fun drive home, has not returned my call still.

P.S. I did find out yesterday that the prior repair (where the door was opening and closing on its own as they pulled the "repaired" car up in front of the service center entrance for me to pick up) was due to "water intrusion causing a short" as per the service record (which takes a call to Tesla corporate to obtain which seems way too difficult). That occurred after the falcon wing door was repaired and the car was likely sitting in the lot for 5 weeks in the rain, so maybe these issues are all related to the water intrusion? Who knows. Who cares.

I am tired of these updates. I honestly don't know what could go wrong next.
OMG.. its a disastrous experience! Not sure if you have tagged Elon at Twitter? It's almost QE and their sales is mostly flat, so I hope he listens to you..

I'm literally considering cancelling my Model X Plaid order right now. I just got my VIN assigned today, and although I've owned 3 other Tesla's (my first being a brand new 2014 P85D), I might just run away before I get myself into a situation like this.

Unfortunately, Elon has proven scaling Tesla has only rewarded investors, at the customer's expense. This is not a tech company, it's a Wall Street firm that uses cars and technology to as a facade to sell the world's most gigantic pump and dump scheme, and now all his time is devoted to a social media company he purchased dumping those shares.

I've been team Tesla for so long, and this story really boils my blood and I'm sorry for your situation. I wish I didn't read it, but glad I did.

Based on my recent 2023 MS experiences with the SC and reading these stories, if I had a do over with the benefit of hindsight, I would have sold my other Tesla’s when the resale market was good and never bought the MS, or any future Tesla.