Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with that advice is that none of this will set a precedent so Tesla carry on as before and only refunding the few people that can actually be bothered to go through the whole process
If "you" cant be bothered to do the legwork that is "your" problem. Class actions are great and a solicitors dream.

People have told me before that "you are not going to save the world" ... As much as it pains me to say it 9/10 they were right.

Reactions: btc1k
I sympathise and I absolutely love driving my car.
The company itself, however, has been going down a slippery slope of apparent contempt for its customers and downright lying on its promises.
Making it behave doesn’t mean making it fail.
It’s high time they got a wake up call.
I agree, however, that I would be very sad to see it fail. But I doubt that’s likely.
Agree, they sell too many cars at this point and with good margins to fail at least in short to mid-term. Impossible to predict long term but it seems unlikely.

They should be doing this the right way for FSD Beta. It’s more like a Kickstarter funding program and that would be fine, it’s just not fine promising something when buying a product and not delivering what people paid for.

Let people invest in this if they want but make it clear it’s an investment that might amount to nothing.

Apropos of nothing but when I got taken to court I spoke to a solicitor who told me that I had a good case (don't they all?) but caveated that by saying that actually engaging her would cost more than the claim value, because in small claims legal costs aren't awarded, so it would become an entirely pyrrhic victory.

As it turned out she was very helpful anyway, and we exchanged about 50 emails about the case, and she was very reassuring on what was for me my first time ever being involved in a legal claim in any capacity.

Long story short - you are better off not claiming at all if you feel you have to engage a solicitor, because you will lose a big chunk of any settlement in legal fees.

@edb49 Thank you for bothering to make sure they removed gagging clauses, and then sharing this story with us. Very useful.

I am looking to get a refund for FSD for a Tesla Model Y ordered on 15/10/2021 and delivered on 18/03/2022. My order agreement lists "Full Self-Driving Capability" for £6800. There is no date mentioned for delivery of FSD. Does anyone have any experience pursuing a refund in this case?

Even the letter was send to the "old/wrong address " they responded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231123_165107_Email.jpg
    Screenshot_20231123_165107_Email.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: ACarneiro
I'll add my pat on the back for @edb49. It's coming to the time that my patience has run out. Not just over non-fsd, but the endless regressions and evidence that my model S was never and most likely will never even be Full Self Driving Capable let alone actually self drive in any meaningful sense.

On that point, has anyone looked into the value of the claimed capability? For those who were banking on subscribing to FSD clearly the car needs to be able to demonstrate that it is Capable, as claimed.

To try and keep everything in the open, someone asked me:

Tesla have asked for "further time to consider our position", as the 21 days for the LBA has now passed.

Wondering if you have any advice as to whether I should allow it or just start the small claims process regardless?

My reply:
Your call, but I would just issue the claim. The only cost to you is the issue fee (£455 when I did it) and I just added that to what Tesla needed to pay me.

I can't see the advantage to you of waiting? Ultimately, if they "consider their position" and decide to settle with everyone who has bought FSD, they'll settle with you and pay the £455.

The other thing is that when I issued the claim I added court interest to it which was quite a substantial amount.

• Helpful
Reactions: LawLiner and GSP
Another question I've replied to privately... asking why I started the interest calculation on the court claim from 1st Jan 2020. My answer to them:

The reason for the interest calculation starting on 1st Jan 2020 is pretty simple. When I bought the car in 2019 the FSD on city streets was "coming later this year". This means any time up until 31st Dec 2019. My claim was they failed to deliver this, and therefore the loss I suffered didn't start from the purchase date of the car but from the last date they failed to deliver - e.g. 31st Dec 2019. So my loss started then, meaning 1st Jan 2020 was the first day of interest.

I'm still undecided on whether I should just ask for the amount I paid for FSD (£5,800), or ask upfront for that plus interest @ 8% (in my case from 01/01/2021) per the claim directions.

On the one hand I'm not expecting them to cave at the first instance, but if they did I'd technically miss out on £1362.76 in interest as of today, which is probably my insurance premium for next year if I'm lucky.