Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your call... but I gave them the opportunity in the letter before action to just refund me the £5800. When they made me issue court proceedings I then added the interest.
Yup, that's what I'm currently leaning towards. I'm perhaps being a bit greedy that I kinda don't want them to accept my first offer!

I guess they're not likely to do anything in the face of a LBA anyway.

I think I’m going to offer the opportunity to move my FSD to a new Highland order. I’ve purchased FSD twice so far and not going to do it again.
Twice.. Good lord :(

What is that saying about turning the other cheek? :(

Kinda surprised you're saying you are buying (or thinking of) a Highland, to be honest. I'm somewhat keen on a Plaid M3 but I'd be lying if I said I honestly feel like cutting my own nose off to spite my face rather than reward the contempt Tesla has shown to customers, not just with FSD but removing stuff and replacing it with half-assed features that don't work, etc.

Reactions: Dilly and ACarneiro
What is that saying about turning the other cheek?

In my case first one was ... not very much ... and was sold with the car. I was annoyed that I couldn't transfer it, but was sure FSD was coming soon, alng with being further annoyed that it had gone up in price ...

rather than reward the contempt Tesla has shown to customers, not just with FSD but removing stuff and replacing it with half-assed features that don't work, etc.

Interesting conversation over a meal with some mates the other day. They know me, know how long I've had a Tesla etc etc.

"Mate Tesla is shiite. Wipers are shiite, because they didn't fit a £5 rain sensor. Headlights aren't properly matrix. Loads of people have it jumping on the brakes in the fast lane"

There was another Tesla driver at the table "Yeah, that's all shiite - especially the wipers on AP"

"Is that it? Mine (Whatever brand) does THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS ..."
"Yeah, mine (Some other brand) does THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS ..."

I was quite surprised ...

Why would you do this rather than claim your money back and then, in the highly unlikely event that Tesla manage to get FSD working in this country, buy it?!
That would be my attitude as well. There would be plenty of time to buy EAP or FSD if/when it looks like it's actually coming, rather than when Musk/Tesla claim it is. That could easily be years AFTER Highland arrives.

Hell, all but one feature (Navigate on Autopilot) doesn't even work on EAP/FSD cars bought since they removed ultrasonics. It's been a full year where people have paid for that option with Summon & Autopark completely absent.

In my case first one was ... not very much ... and was sold with the car. I was annoyed that I couldn't transfer it, but was sure FSD was coming soon, alng with being further annoyed that it had gone up in price ...

Interesting conversation over a meal with some mates the other day. They know me, know how long I've had a Tesla etc etc.

"Mate Tesla is shiite. Wipers are shiite, because they didn't fit a £5 rain sensor. Headlights aren't properly matrix. Loads of people have it jumping on the brakes in the fast lane"

There was another Tesla driver at the table "Yeah, that's all shiite - especially the wipers on AP"

"Is that it? Mine (Whatever brand) does THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS ..."
"Yeah, mine (Some other brand) does THIS and THIS and THIS and THIS ..."

I was quite surprised ...
There's a lot about owning a Tesla which is refreshing, dare I say it class leading (e.g. OTA updates, the attitude towards providing these updates to depreciated cars, etc)

...which makes it all the more annoying that the basic stuff is missing or doesn't work properly. Matrix lights were fitted to the first Shanghai cars, in 2021, and nearly 3 years later they don't do anything. Auto wipers and now park assist has been done to death and is never going to be fixed on existing cars.

As this thread grows I find myself more and more tempted to go for the refund myself.

Maybe i'm overthinking things but you hear so many stories on here about warranties being refused and what not. My car has been in 3 times over 2 years for things and there has never been so much as a hint of it not being done under warranty. The only exception being my steering wheel bubbling last month which, while immediately accepted as warranty on the app, the mobile tech made some comments that he didn't think it should have been.

Say you take them to court or get settled before hand etc. I wonder if there would be any side effects, albeit unofficially, from that.

As @WannabeOwner says though, if they just let me transfer it to a new car in 2 years time....honestly i'd probably just do that and not have the hassle.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Help/advice needed
I have had a reply to my Letter Before action … they (obviously) deny the claim (as expected) but also state that because I purchased it via my Ltd company that the consumer law doesn’t apply in the b2b world. I’m gonna speak to a pal who is a lawyer to see what he thinks , but I can’t see how it can be different ?!?

Help/advice needed
I have had a reply to my Letter Before action … they (obviously) deny the claim (as expected) but also state that because I purchased it via my Ltd company that the consumer law doesn’t apply in the b2b world. I’m gonna speak to a pal who is a lawyer to see what he thinks , but I can’t see how it can be different ?!?

If you are using my documentation and you bought as a limited company, this is correct. I based my claim on the Consumer Rights Act which doesn't apply to businesses. You still have very good protection under the Sale of Goods Act, but you need to use different documentation in your claim.

What law are you claiming under?

They are correct to say consumer law doesn’t apply in the b2b world but that’s only laws which are specifically written to protect consumers, E.g. consumer rights act (the clue is in the name).

That’s not to mean you don’t have a claim so it depends under what law (legislation or common law) you think you have a claim under. For example, are you just going for a ‘straightforward’ breach of contract? In this case, you are not relying on consumer law.

I sent my LBA off today, took great care in doing it, even found an envelope with a window for Tesla's address to show through, no handwriting involved.

...and I forgot to actually sign the letter at the bottom, so it just has my printed name on it :(

If you are using my documentation and you bought as a limited company, this is correct. I based my claim on the Consumer Rights Act which doesn't apply to businesses. You still have very good protection under the Sale of Goods Act, but you need to use different documentation in your claim.
Yes I used your documentation(it’s excellent btw, so thank you) … however, I hadn’t even thought about the Ltd company/b2b aspect coming in to it !

Yes I used your documentation(it’s excellent btw, so thank you) … however, I hadn’t even thought about the Ltd company/b2b aspect coming in to it !

OK, so I've had a quick look at this. If I was in your shoes I would run the claim under the Misrepresentation Act 1967. The content pretty much the same; Tesla's website said they would give you city streets autopilot by the end of 2019, as a result of that you paid for FSD, and they haven't delivered it. By saying they'd deliver city streets in 2019 and failing to do so they've made a misrepresentation which has caused you a loss. I think this is still a runner.