Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My experience taking Tesla to court about FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are right in your analysis. It's similar to saying in the MVOA that you are not allowed to take them to court... they cannot take away rights that parliament has given to you.

It’s even worse than them trying to deceive. Tesla could fall foul of unfair contracts legislation (unfair terms directive?) which would land them in deep *sugar* with seriously powerful organisations such as CMA that if they put Tesla under further scrutiny could be an even bigger issue for Tesla.

Wouldn’t take much to find a solicitor offering 30 minutes free legal advice and run that past them. Also remember that many people have legal cover under their home or car insurance policies. If they agreed to take on a case then you know that you have a pretty good case and the solicitors would recover their fees.

IMHO the cleanest resolution for Tesla would be for them to admit that they have failed to deliver as promised and offer a full ex gratia refund with a reasonable offer of compensation, ie interest. That would I think placate many purchasers and actually be positive press for Tesla.

You're not the first person to get that in their response. They can say whatever they like in the agreement, but the Consumer Rights Act 2015 trumps the MVOA. They will 100% know this, their lawyers too, and it's cynical and unethical in my opinion for them to try and mislead you like this.

You are right in your analysis. It's similar to saying in the MVOA that you are not allowed to take them to court... they cannot take away rights that parliament has given to you.

Happy to help you draft a response etc. if you like.
That would be very much appreciated!
I'd rather not post the full snotogram I got back from Tesla, and as a new member on this forum I can't seem to DM you. If you drop me a hello at russcasey~at~gmail.com we can talk further.

The summary of my situation is I bought an M3P with FSD around the same time you did. I bought cash and still have the car. Every aspect of my interaction with Tesla has been excellent other than the way they have dealt with the broken promises around FSD.

I sent a letter to T a few weeks ago after seeing your results, for similar reasons that you brought action - Tesla should be better at handling situations when contractual promises based on optimism don't pan out.

Reactions: edb49
IMHO the cleanest resolution for Tesla would be for them to admit that they have failed to deliver as promised and offer a full ex gratia refund with a reasonable offer of compensation, ie interest. That would I think placate many purchasers and actually be positive press for Tesla.
This would be the obvious play. Anything less and they are alienating the people who most strongly support them.

Reactions: MrBadger
That would be very much appreciated!
I'd rather not post the full snotogram I got back from Tesla, and as a new member on this forum I can't seem to DM you. If you drop me a hello at russcasey~at~gmail.com we can talk further.

The summary of my situation is I bought an M3P with FSD around the same time you did. I bought cash and still have the car. Every aspect of my interaction with Tesla has been excellent other than the way they have dealt with the broken promises around FSD.

I sent a letter to T a few weeks ago after seeing your results, for similar reasons that you brought action - Tesla should be better at handling situations when contractual promises based on optimism don't pan out.
Same as mine probably.
“Tesla is disappointed, values its customers, but not you.”

[email protected]

You should quantify the additional trade in value you got for FSD when you bought your Model Y, then subtract it from what you paid for FSD. Your claim is actually tidier than mine because you've sold the car.
Only problem with that is that I don’t think you can get a trade in price from Tesla minus the FSD contribution. As soon as you put your VIN in it knows you have FSD and gives you a price with it included. You’d have to plug in the details of an equivalent Tesla without FSD, somehow.

The trade in value they give you definitely doesn’t value FSD at the full price.

Only problem with that is that I don’t think you can get a trade in price from Tesla minus the FSD contribution. As soon as you put your VIN in it knows you have FSD and gives you a price with it included. You’d have to plug in the details of an equivalent Tesla without FSD, somehow.

The trade in value they give you definitely doesn’t value FSD at the full price.
It doesn't have to be a value from Tesla, you just need a value with and without FSD.