Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My first road trip - what do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning to go on my first decent length road trip in my Tesla next month. Initially from Portland, Vic. to Bribie Island in Queensland to visit relations, then all going well, venture north to Port Douglas and the Daintree.

A common thought would be to take a spare wheel, which I don't currently have. Some I guess will suggest I get one where others would rely on a goo/pump kit. I'm curious to know who has been caught out by not having a spare on such a trip, keeping in mind I will be travelling on main roads with I assume plenty of other road users.

Have you any travel suggestions that would make my trip relatively stress free. I do have cables for 3 phase 32 amp charging and have the dual chargers installed. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Looks like a great trip ! ! Are you going coastal or inland @brewster ?

I was really happy to have a spare when I found my rear tyres were scrubbed out on the inside, one really severely (hint - don't use low suspension setting). The spare takes a LOT of room, and after trying 4 different locations I have settled on vertically behind the rear seat strapped to the child restraint anchor.

If you are going bush, a cheap set of Repco seat covers and the Tesla rubber floor mats are great.

If you are winging it a bit, a 15 amp adaptor will get you going many hours before the 10 amp. You can average well over 200 km per day on 15 amp if you put your mind to it ! @raynewman has a great sneaky UMC adaptor.

Good luck @brewster ! ! Post heaps of photos, and don't forget Plugshare.

No spare needed if you have 19" wheels; dunno about 21".
The Tesla UMC with euro 3 phase and Oz adaptor for 32 AMP (and perhaps 20 AMP) as a spare.
One of the imports (eg MaxiCharger or Juice Booster et al) as main non-supercharger connector.
and enjoy.

Well…I have 19s and have had a puncture which I fixed with the Tesla puncture kit but that rendered the tyre unrepairable. A repair plug & regular portable air compressor would have been ~$700 less expensive.

Heading up to FNQ, there are large stretches that have minimal charging opportunities so the 3 phase 32A cable will be very useful if not indispensable for showgrounds. If you plan on charging at Gin Gin Showgrounds, you will need a 20A cable which I fortunately had. One thing with dual chargers, at the time, I really, really wish I had an EVSE like the Juice Booster 2. That would have meant 2 hours at Sarina Showgrounds instead of a very, very long 4 hours in *torrential* rain.

Enjoy your trip! I know you will…FNQ is just incredible.

Reactions: RichardMcN
Well…I have 19s and have had a puncture which I fixed with the Tesla puncture kit but that rendered the tyre unrepairable. A repair plug & regular portable air compressor would have been ~$700 less expensive.

Heading up to FNQ, there are large stretches that have minimal charging opportunities so the 3 phase 32A cable will be very useful if not indispensable for showgrounds. If you plan on charging at Gin Gin Showgrounds, you will need a 20A cable which I fortunately had. One thing with dual chargers, at the time, I really, really wish I had an EVSE like the Juice Booster 2. That would have meant 2 hours at Sarina Showgrounds instead of a very, very long 4 hours in *torrential* rain.

Enjoy your trip! I know you will…FNQ is just incredible.
One more thing is a CHAdeMO adaptor as there is one of these things at 16 Noosa Drive, Noosa Heads‎ QLD‎ - if you charge fully there, you should be able to make Rockhampton if you're careful (There are a few Tesla chargers there). Next would be AXS NDT Workshop - Mackay (Tesla) or Able Point Boat Yard at Airlie Beach‎ (3 Phase) then on to Townsville. I would like to do that drive and one day probably will.

Reactions: alexeiw123
One more thing is a CHAdeMO adaptor as there is one of these things at 16 Noosa Drive, Noosa Heads‎ QLD‎ - if you charge fully there, you should be able to make Rockhampton if you're careful (There are a few Tesla chargers there). Next would be AXS NDT Workshop - Mackay (Tesla) or Able Point Boat Yard at Airlie Beach‎ (3 Phase) then on to Townsville. I would like to do that drive and one day probably will.
Yeah good point and don't forget the UQ Chademo at Brissie too !

Definitely do the drive Ray! It’s fantastic. I'd get the Juice Booster 2 since there are way more 3 phase options than CHAdeMO up north. An alternative to CHAdeMO at Noosa, on the Sunshine Coast, there are 22kW Destination Chargers at Caloundra Local Agent as well as 3 phase 32A at Sunshine Coast Stadium in the Kawana Sports Precinct. AXS NDT in Mackay was awesome, just be sure to give them a call before you drop in during business hours.

One more thing, avoid kamikaze kangaroos by arriving at your destination long before dusk…or get bull bars :)

• Funny
Reactions: Mickie
Has anyone traveled from Goulburn to Heatherbrae, bypassing Sydney Superchargers, if so, with what size battery and what sort of buffer was remaining? Is it difficult to bypass toll ways around Sydney without too many detours? CHAdeMO adapter is quite expensive for a limited use, hope I can find alternatives.

Oops, just did google maps (forgot to do avoid tollways). So looks okay :)

Last edited:
I have done about 35,000 km on my original 19" set of tyres with still some tread left. Would it be silly to get a new set before the trip and keep the originals and change them back over when I get back? I rarely do such long trips and I reckon there is probably another 5,000 km left in them, which could mean they won't have much tread left on my return. Does everyone normally purchase the same Michelin tyres when they change them out or are there some reasonably priced alternatives?

Thanks WhiteStar for some other options :)

I have done about 35,000 km on my original 19" set of tyres with still some tread left. Would it be silly to get a new set before the trip and keep the originals and change them back over when I get back? I rarely do such long trips and I reckon there is probably another 5,000 km left in them, which could mean they won't have much tread left on my return. Does everyone normally purchase the same Michelin tyres when they change them out or are there some reasonably priced alternatives?

Change to new tyres before you go, select the best of the old ones for a spare.

Definitely do the drive Ray! It’s fantastic. I'd get the Juice Booster 2 since there are way more 3 phase options than CHAdeMO up north. An alternative to CHAdeMO at Noosa, on the Sunshine Coast, there are 22kW Destination Chargers at Caloundra Local Agent as well as 3 phase 32A at Sunshine Coast Stadium in the Kawana Sports Precinct. AXS NDT in Mackay was awesome, just be sure to give them a call before you drop in during business hours.

One more thing, avoid kamikaze kangaroos by arriving at your destination long before dusk…or get bull bars :)
Glad to hear the trip went well @WhiteStar . Any nice piccies ?

I replaced my factory installed Goodyears at 55,000 with Michelin Primacy 3 ST for $1360 the lot installed from JAX (that's less than half what Tesla wanted). As a matter of fact, you could but a CHAdeMO with the change.

As for the spare... (probably should put this in some spare tyre thread somewhere else)

Yesterday, Harald, his MX90D and me spent the best part of the day "playing spare tyres" ;). It was fun and we learnt a lot.

I had done a lot of "research" and settled on a BMW 19" space saver as a suitable "skinny spare" for our MX100D that has just lobbed off the boat in Melbourne. Off to a BMW wreckers with no luck and then to Swan Tyres in Osborne Park. Lucky me scored a 155/80 19R BMW alloy space saver wheel. $200. Back to my place Harald and I go.

MX in to Jack Mode, check the jacking points under the car which are rubber blocks with two bolt hole in them, trolley jack and the wheel is off the ground.

First problem, getting those chrome wheels nut caps off. Anyway, slim pointy nose pliers with electrical tape wrapped on them was the best option. Front wheel off and inside tread wear after 10000kms was obviously more than the outside. Harald had been advised to run on "LOW" suspension setting for better range. More on that later.

Wheel off, skinny spare on and you'd be hard pressed to get a sheet of paper between the caliper and the spokes of the rim but it did rotate. It looked like a better bet on the back BUT the stud nuts are deeper in the rim as the back is a 10" vs a 9" on the front. the skinny on the back of the MX was going to rub the caliper :(

Back to Swan tyres for a refund/plan B. Stuart at Swan tyres couldn't have been more helpful. For some reason he thought we had a BMW X5, probably because there are some side on similarities but we explained the difference. They'd never seen a Tesla before. BMW uses studs/bolts but Testa uses nuts. Anyway, around to the back of the shop for a guaranteed fix. We jacked the front, put on a 8mm wheel spacer and some wheel nuts that are sleeved to get the extra thread needed because of the spacer. Apparently, 6 threads on a wheel stud is the magic number. This worked for the rear too.

A full size spare and a MX seem mutually exclusive. Won't fit in the frunk, won't stand up in the rear, won't fit in the rear boot and would only lay flat in the rear taking up a huge amount of space. Skinny spare is the way to go for me with two dogs, two large (tall and skinny) kids.

Back to the low suspension setting. Harald and I put the spirit level on the back wheel and did really low, standard and really high. Pics are worth a 1000 words ;)

20170529_125937_resized.jpg
20170529_131828_resized.jpg
20170529_131855_resized.jpg
20170529_131937_resized.jpg
20170529_135026_resized.jpg

Forgot to add that the 155/80 19R was a little short on the front and a smidge shorter for the back but within the 3% variation allowance. I spoke to Bob Jane's tyres today because the tyre on the rim I bought today was manufactured in 2005, a little old. They list a 175/80 R19 with a higher load rating of the 155 which is 1180kgs and this should making the rolling diameter spot on for front and rear. Now I'm just looking on Ebay for a billet 8mm spacer although Swan tyres gave me the spacers and wheel nuts for free.

Now I need a scissor jack and wheel nut spanner/lever.

Reactions: Murbs
I also recommend a 10 gage extension cord in case you need to charge from a standard outlet that isn't conveniently located. I had to run the cord out of our hotel room on one trip - charging is slow, but 40 miles over night can be helpful. The car didn't complain about the connection and the cord and connectors never got warm.

Once I needed to use a 50 ft 12 gage cord and it got hot. The car noticed the poor connection and notified me that it was reducing the charge rate.