Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My First Tesla-2021 Model S Plaid MSM-Pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says it--- I figured Id post here with some pics of course. I have never been an EV owner and while I have driven many a Model S and Model 3 variants, my heart has always been with ICE cars and their sounds they make as one accelerates and decelerates. But, the Plaid piqued my interest and I thought if I can get one right away Ill do it. I got lucky and found one on the ground in Santa Barbara and had it shipped down but when it came to delivery; the car had paint inclusions and we (Tesla Reps and myself) decided against delivery. The regional manager was able to find me this car a few hours later, unspoken for- and the rest is history (2021 Plaid MSM with Black on Carbon guts).

I come from owning many cars that are strong in performance (12 AMG's, 11 M's, 3 R8's, 2 F cars, Lambo, GTR, 9 Porsche's, NSX, etc) most with brilliant sound to match the rpms but this Plaid is the fastest car Ive ever owned- modded or not. So now Ill just drive it, learn the nuances, and remain safe all the same. I actually am getting used to the yoke wheel about 120 miles in but its still a bit odd with full U turn maneuvers.

I did do some minor adjustments out of personal preferences:

Tint 35% Ceramic
Ceramic Coating
N2itive Plaid Lowering Links (.8 inch drop front 1 inch drop rear)

cell pics:

AM-JKLW2Iv58lHUCJBf-OZ8c0EBwhawqpnN7jR3hzpsXcBDVSQSzQmfxqdDb0THCks7rw8hL6Yd9if9hqeXS7_iEhR1Z0o6bFJhall00TebE9wf67hLhQ9JQ5Q2zonobNDOFYOJmetUgDl2e4YFH7UlOtolT=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLWOyCnvMMSQSFspSrMY2xY-hKf4qcK85oXVL3PrxTJXfYImdLqKFrTesUIjSp9g-7NCZLATaH_msU7r4KikCbK1uUFEgG8pEU1pfLTxXJnGsErcEgOHHyPdjuoZQ3qOvnoK5Bhx8CTX_ZHNmQflyY0m=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLWVrpTw-g0cEPuYYX8xBj-n4d-ZvMOEA6UxevUPkvGVHQD23tvdMDnXCaPUFJ11W0lCEFlec9yEkqQADzYE5UkQC18PRxISKVUwfMOX_1ytQYPiWDQGpi0jDuesK8xSP_7OT9KuEdsPVBOTb73SRJ6W=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLX985-9TCvi2KxvfdZcFd9AqF4AuK3XU3rqMbT1d6IWzoDuql7fYY_udTuXcqTLytyaQSrimK0sjWCa1MyTvfd9SFK9b4_zol9r9v17OfXd1rIUBR_tTnCRdbnk6Py5yQrHEAe59R5E3zhjlx7cCrr1=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLVYWOYz2e3cag6KjZ-9PmjSX1OdJDDy_RCgMc_Dz9cyo1Tz-faurMvszLQIde63U2h0zGI6flfy8ibQr2F87BM5zkmqvpkIYgkgpzFiH6CXvnZPEQ45SdKJofSKOOC3-eGqllnXDl-ZyIqAHnM1lq4V=w1791-h1007-no

Thanks DD- the car actually doesnt sit that low but the pictures sure make it look that way. I am running the firmest suspension set up as well. But I am so foreign to Tesla, any advice from you and others is greatly appreciated. Thankfully where I live, the roads really well maintained and the elements dont play a role in affecting them (SoCal Orange County).

As the title says it--- I figured Id post here with some pics of course. I have never been an EV owner and while I have driven many a Model S and Model 3 variants, my heart has always been with ICE cars and their sounds they make as one accelerates and decelerates. But, the Plaid piqued my interest and I thought if I can get one right away Ill do it. I got lucky and found one on the ground in Santa Barbara and had it shipped down but when it came to delivery; the car had paint inclusions and we (Tesla Reps and myself) decided against delivery. The regional manager was able to find me this car a few hours later, unspoken for- and the rest is history (2021 Plaid MSM with Black on Carbon guts).

I come from owning many cars that are strong in performance (12 AMG's, 11 M's, 3 R8's, 2 F cars, Lambo, GTR, 9 Porsche's, NSX, etc) most with brilliant sound to match the rpms but this Plaid is the fastest car Ive ever owned- modded or not. So now Ill just drive it, learn the nuances, and remain safe all the same. I actually am getting used to the yoke wheel about 120 miles in but its still a bit odd with full U turn maneuvers.

Tint 35% Ceramic
Ceramic Coating

cell pics:

AM-JKLW2Iv58lHUCJBf-OZ8c0EBwhawqpnN7jR3hzpsXcBDVSQSzQmfxqdDb0THCks7rw8hL6Yd9if9hqeXS7_iEhR1Z0o6bFJhall00TebE9wf67hLhQ9JQ5Q2zonobNDOFYOJmetUgDl2e4YFH7UlOtolT=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLWOyCnvMMSQSFspSrMY2xY-hKf4qcK85oXVL3PrxTJXfYImdLqKFrTesUIjSp9g-7NCZLATaH_msU7r4KikCbK1uUFEgG8pEU1pfLTxXJnGsErcEgOHHyPdjuoZQ3qOvnoK5Bhx8CTX_ZHNmQflyY0m=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLWVrpTw-g0cEPuYYX8xBj-n4d-ZvMOEA6UxevUPkvGVHQD23tvdMDnXCaPUFJ11W0lCEFlec9yEkqQADzYE5UkQC18PRxISKVUwfMOX_1ytQYPiWDQGpi0jDuesK8xSP_7OT9KuEdsPVBOTb73SRJ6W=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLX985-9TCvi2KxvfdZcFd9AqF4AuK3XU3rqMbT1d6IWzoDuql7fYY_udTuXcqTLytyaQSrimK0sjWCa1MyTvfd9SFK9b4_zol9r9v17OfXd1rIUBR_tTnCRdbnk6Py5yQrHEAe59R5E3zhjlx7cCrr1=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLVYWOYz2e3cag6KjZ-9PmjSX1OdJDDy_RCgMc_Dz9cyo1Tz-faurMvszLQIde63U2h0zGI6flfy8ibQr2F87BM5zkmqvpkIYgkgpzFiH6CXvnZPEQ45SdKJofSKOOC3-eGqllnXDl-ZyIqAHnM1lq4V=w1791-h1007-no
I've had several Porsches, and I'm used to no sound.
Great pictures!
Lowering looks awesome!
Enjoy....

Tint 35% Ceramic
Ceramic Coating

cell pics:

Good luck with your new Model S! Enjoy it in good health!

Reactions: vic55
I've had several Porsches, and I'm used to no sound.
Great pictures!
Lowering looks awesome!
Enjoy....
LOL Ive modded all my Porsches to get better sound but I see your point. Obviously my GT3 was the best of the lot while the Turbo S's (5 of them) needed more help. The speed of the Plaid makes up for the silence as the wind is so loud with the windows down :)

@vic55 Absolutely stunning car!! I love the fact that you've already lowered it - hard core enthusiast right there!!👍👍👍

How do you like the quality of fit and finish and materials (interior and exterior) compared to your previous whips?
Thanks, I had to drop it as I knew the stock height was a bit too high for me and my roads are really good.

So far its not that bad; my ceramic guy said my car had one of the better Tesla coats he had seen under all his lights and lenses. I did have a small molding come loose on the drivers door but I just used some gorilla glue and its all good. I think I need more seat time and miles to see how things hold up from a quality perspective but so far so good. I currently have a few other cars right now that have arguably better fit and finish plus materials (2020 M8 GC Comp, 2020 R8 Performance, 2022 M3 Comp X Drive, 2018 Porsche GTS, etc) but I prepped my mind coming in pre purchase what to possibly expect.

Im pleasantly surprised overall and the actually straightline performance is just mind blowing and so much fun. I love the tech and 17 inch fatty screen LOL. I think it was a good purchase thus far.

So its almost been a month in and the car is great- no major issues from a build standpoint and the drop continues to impress. I am in search of spacers and have contacted the two recommended places: UltimatePD and MotorsportTech. Both companies have been great with service but we all realized that the 2021 Plaid does not have the same size hub/snout length as the 2021 Model S. The snout is very short and any spacer with a tapered back pad will not be hubcentric. So I need to have a set made and only MotorsportTech was able to build them (just ordered) with a quick return time. So once I get them, Ill post pics of the install and the views of the car. I will (no pun) say this, Will at UltimatePD was incredible, he shipped me a set of Model S spacers to try free of charge to test and this is how we discovered that normal tapered spacers will NOT work on the Plaid due to the snout size.

Some pics of the spacer (UltimatePD) and the Plaid Snout. As you can see the spacer tapers off from around 66mm to 64.1 but due to the taper the snout wont lock in hubcentric wise. MotorsportTech is building me a set of 20mm 05x120 64.1 cb with no taper so it will grab the snout. There is no way I want a spacer that is not hubcentric ever on any car but especially on this car with all that torque.

AM-JKLVeDbR_uvK0qkARVU2Muf2LPZlnAbQXflDSudIa5IRjFVZ7UTYyTRSTXzgvE6G0C8kXKxVsGHnt_zFu_EStVUAmLvKL1hr5Jf5zWJv6OITpzTO2jeR0HHNi76St-2us71v4ePF8MkwLjUyYd_HvRapt=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLXK1fS9CzOM80wPJAT8JQPv_LYJowjMsiDjNRapV9rTS614yzrs7CJeT9RdB5xCNcVcyPmAAM8bx3Z8y5lKstIHr6oUxvBbnWyOOqNyXTUivaRsP3T9OHpMAmWX1bhQ_AYNQNO6_qVohuRAG13CiNzi=w567-h1007-no

So its almost been a month in and the car is great- no major issues from a build standpoint and the drop continues to impress. I am in search of spacers and have contacted the two recommended places: UltimatePD and MotorsportTech. Both companies have been great with service but we all realized that the 2021 Plaid does not have the same size hub/snout length as the 2021 Model S. The snout is very short and any spacer with a tapered back pad will not be hubcentric. So I need to have a set made and only MotorsportTech was able to build them (just ordered) with a quick return time. So once I get them, Ill post pics of the install and the views of the car. I will (no pun) say this, Will at UltimatePD was incredible, he shipped me a set of Model S spacers to try free of charge to test and this is how we discovered that normal tapered spacers will NOT work on the Plaid due to the snout size.

Some pics of the spacer (UltimatePD) and the Plaid Snout. As you can see the spacer tapers off from around 66mm to 64.1 but due to the taper the snout wont lock in hubcentric wise. MotorsportTech is building me a set of 20mm 05x120 64.1 cb with no taper so it will grab the snout. There is no way I want a spacer that is not hubcentric ever on any car but especially on this car with all that torque.
Thanks for sharing this very good and important information. I learned something about my car that I wasn't aware of.
I was recently looking at the UPD spacers. Since the prior Model S has the same 5x120, 64.1 hub, I assumed the prior S spacers would fit the refresh which is incorrect. The lugs on the plaid also appear a bit longer than the lugs on the prior S.

Thanks for sharing this very good and important information. I learned something about my car that I wasn't aware of.
I was recently looking at the UPD spacers. Since the prior Model S has the same 5x120, 64.1 hub, I assumed the prior S spacers would fit the refresh which is incorrect. The lugs on the plaid also appear a bit longer than the lugs on the prior S.

The studs are indeed too long but the part that hits the rear of the OEM wheel pocket is not even part of the thread... with a 20mm spacer Im seeing about 2mm too much. Based on the pics Ive posted the non threaded area (thinner) might need a mini shave.

Reactions: Drew-MS
Good question--- the sunken look is just not eye appealing to me and I like the OEM 21's so this a fix vs getting a new set of wheels.

AM-JKLVTpCB5Y_JRlo6y5vb-o3P5lJZee7h9TBifVOvL7a8epjoLYwlIftVCFN1l6MmVyOqI9GgPwYFItwXX9iY1XgcggyME5M-JwUBSxEnSLnQy1h9QY27XpmQmqG27QnHMQGKyxSy8UJdkNEfqN_CU_OzC=w1791-h1007-no

AM-JKLXLLuNXRZx7HPA1H49l2mio5H7aOxlal2JVMyAd5sMdpnf_-tWy_bfheQN4mjNFXvYV3hEWBxoJTLXI8vZ6ssVWqy4nKtofQ5Dyk_kHWFMCwKl6KH-YdD2R6PllGbVUO7e1i3uewylP1w7K2O3mHWT8=w1791-h1007-no
I honestly don't see the "sunken look". I'd be concerned with getting spacers on a Plaid - the torque is just so high.

Have you considered getting wider tires instead?

That's what I did with the OEM 20 inch slipstream wheels for the Model X on my 2016 S75D. I went with 255 front and 285 rear. This was the widest I could go on the wheels without making the tires unsafe.

Link to my thread with some pics.

Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the ceramic coat? I’m in the OC as well and am looking for a place to do my car.

I have my regular guy come to my house and he did two cars for me--- I think his normal price with 1 stage correction plus 2 years of coating is circa 700-800 bucks but dont quote me, let him do that :)

Send me a PM and Ill give you his info

I honestly don't see the "sunken look". I'd be concerned with getting spacers on a Plaid - the torque is just so high.

That's what I did with the OEM 20 inch slipstream wheels for the Model X on my 2016 S75D. I went with 255 front and 285 rear. This was the widest I could go on the wheels without making the tires unsafe.

I understand, the tq is challenge but if the spacer is hubcentric the hub will continue to bear the pressure and not the studs. I already have 295x30x21 rears and making the tires more beefy will be odd to my eyes. I didnt see if you are lowered or not but once lowered the inward appearance is far more prevalent. Thanks for the link too!!

Here is another pic where you possibly see how the wheels are more inward:

AM-JKLU3TGrvHUQSwRMRMYh3VQWqlGkxUDRVk0lUG7ayLSEvItR8e7rdyRDUHUL5fri2Si0Nka8rk-baBi_WEdBlIZc6ow_E5m3dhdpW_GVabLY06P9jgB9IHECD2cGpAqRPaSQj5l2nziSGkSJc3MXJ2v_u=w1791-h1007-no

The "sunken look" is minimal with the 21s but it's a bit more noticeable with the 19s. The 265/295s on the 21s compared to the 255/285s on the 19s make a slight difference. When I parked next to another Plaid with 21s, the 19s on my car seem to have a little bit more of the "sunken look." It's not really an eye sore but I'd still like to get my 19" wheels flush without changing tires. I'd have no concerns putting 15mm or 20mm spacers on my car as long as the spacers are hubcentric and made specifically to fit the Plaid. Also made with the strongest aluminum.

I have my regular guy come to my house and he did two cars for me--- I think his normal price with 1 stage correction plus 2 years of coating is circa 700-800 bucks but dont quote me, let him do that :)

Send me a PM and Ill give you his info

I understand, the tq is challenge but if the spacer is hubcentric the hub will continue to bear the pressure and not the studs. I already have 295x30x21 rears and making the tires more beefy will be odd to my eyes. I didnt see if you are lowered or not but once lowered the inward appearance is far more prevalent. Thanks for the link too!!

Here is another pic where you possibly see how the wheels are more inward:

AM-JKLU3TGrvHUQSwRMRMYh3VQWqlGkxUDRVk0lUG7ayLSEvItR8e7rdyRDUHUL5fri2Si0Nka8rk-baBi_WEdBlIZc6ow_E5m3dhdpW_GVabLY06P9jgB9IHECD2cGpAqRPaSQj5l2nziSGkSJc3MXJ2v_u=w1791-h1007-no

I agree with the route you're taking. As you mentioned, it's more noticeable after the car is lowered.

Reactions: vic55