Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My friend needs a "sales pitch" why MX vs other luxury SUVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GasKilla

No Gas Know Peace
Nov 11, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I think he is looking at an Audi Q7 and told me to give my best sales pitch why he should get a Model X vs any other luxury SUV. I drive a MS and have never owned a "luxury SUV", I can sell him on the benefits of Tesla but as a direct comparison of SUVs I really don't have a frame of reference. Any input and links would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Simple, let it speak for itself. Take him to a store and let him drive it himself. That's all it will take.
He's a good friend and I'm sure he'll do a test drive on my recommendation, but we live in different states so I won't be there to add anything the owner advisor misses. That's why he wants an email. Plus OAs aren't really "sales people" so they aren't going to give him a big sell, they usually just answer questions.

And FYI my friend works in sales so he probably appreciates a "good" sales pitch.

I think he is looking at an Audi Q7 and told me to give my best sales pitch why he should get a Model X vs any other luxury SUV. I drive a MS and have never owned a "luxury SUV", I can sell him on the benefits of Tesla but as a direct comparison of SUVs I really don't have a frame of reference. Any input and links would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
If your friend is in SoCal, then all you need to say is "HOV sticker." Pretty soon they will no longer issue them, not that i know anything, but from past experience when some law/rule becomes popular and has an unfair advantage here, it will be removed...

I've sat in a Q7, and there is no comparison. The Q7 feels very tight and narrow when sitting inside.

Other things to mention: never having to pause between thought about passing a car and actually passing said car. -Never having to go to a gas station-- yes i know if you can afford this car you can easily go to one. But you will soon realize how many noxious vapors and fumes there are at gas stations. And the time spent is really just wasted time.
-Not having to jump on your brakes every second when stopping
-Soon not having to drive-- i use AP1 alot (about 80-85% of my 20k miles in the last ten months) and I have no doubt improvements to AP2 will be paradigm changing.
-Horse and buggy also got you from point A to point B but not many around now

-If you have kiddo's the referral alone can be used to guilt your friend in getting the MX so you can get the kids electric car, presumably your friend likes your kids

When people look to get convinced they will always go back to their original decision. Looks like your friend has made up his mind on Audi Q7 and then asked you about the MX. You have to be very hands off. You can't sell it. You have to ask him about what Audi Q7 gets him did he need a sales pitch for that decision. I'm sure that decision was due to always wanting an Audi and looking at others have it.

Ask him to put 1/2 the time in Research on his own about Tesla. You can fill him on how stuff works but have him test drive and visit a Tesla store.

I'm speaking from experience as my brother and my best friend are in the market. They have both driven my Model X and they being it back to the price. I've talked to them both and did my "Sales Pitch". My brother has done the research but gun shy to pull the trigger. It always comes to price. My brother just ordered a Volvo XC60 (has the AutoPilot like features) and my best friend is looking into LandRover. So there is no Sales Pitch that will do it. They need to want it for themselves.

When people look to get convinced they will always go back to their original decision. Looks like your friend has made up his mind on Audi Q7 and then asked you about the MX. You have to be very hands off. You can't sell it. You have to ask him about what Audi Q7 gets him did he need a sales pitch for that decision. I'm sure that decision was due to always wanting an Audi and looking at others have it.

Ask him to put 1/2 the time in Research on his own about Tesla. You can fill him on how stuff works but have him test drive and visit a Tesla store.

I'm speaking from experience as my brother and my best friend are in the market. They have both driven my Model X and they being it back to the price. I've talked to them both and did my "Sales Pitch". My brother has done the research but gun shy to pull the trigger. It always comes to price. My brother just ordered a Volvo XC60 (has the AutoPilot like features) and my best friend is looking into LandRover. So there is no Sales Pitch that will do it. They need to want it for themselves.
+1 exactly! My brother won't get one for only 1 reason, charge time, that's it! (he road-trips a bit so i can sympathize a bit, at least he has a hybrid, Lexus GS450H, literally cuts his fuel bill in half.)

some people want the safe route too...but i can guarantee in 2-3 years when a lot more cars are plug-in they will be kicking themselves...

Last edited:
We can list all the positives for your friend to consider, that's easy. The hard part is to let him know about the negatives, you don't want to feel guilty when he comes to you complaining "why didn't you tell me about this?". Likely negatives: hit and miss quality of the vehicle is unacceptable at any price but especially at this price bracket, falcon doors malfunction and/or make noise, electrical gremlins, poor seal and fitment of various body panels, lower quality interior (perceived or actual), long wait for parts if repairs are needed, taking in vehicle to have something fixed and picking it up with new issues,....

We can list all the positives for your friend to consider, that's easy. The hard part is to let him know about the negatives, you don't want to feel guilty when he comes to you complaining "why didn't you tell me about this?". Likely negatives: hit and miss quality of the vehicle is unacceptable at any price but especially at this price bracket, falcon doors malfunction and/or make noise, electrical gremlins, poor seal and fitment of various body panels, lower quality interior (perceived or actual), long wait for parts if repairs are needed, taking in vehicle to have something fixed and picking it up with new issues,....
Do you have an "early" MX? HW1? I know there were the same type issues with the MS but were slowly fixed over time. That's why I bought a new MS at the end of 2015 as opposed to a used 2012 or 2013. So many problems were addressed over time. I know the same thing is happening with the MX but I'm not sure if it's "there" yet.

Do you have an "early" MX? HW1? I know there were the same type issues with the MS but were slowly fixed over time. That's why I bought a new MS at the end of 2015 as opposed to a used 2012 or 2013. So many problems were addressed over time. I know the same thing is happening with the MX but I'm not sure if it's "there" yet.
would say we're "there" yet, but apparently there's going to be a version 2 MX coming soon (at least some minor changes).

the 2017 MS now is worlds better than the 2012...i've heard that the screen is slight closer to the driver now and overall fit and finish is great.

A good question.

In the end, Model X is a mixed bag for someone who has their mind set on the likes of Audi Q7. Like others I would be reluctant to "pitch" the Model X - given that personal preferences and needs dictate what fits - but I am happy to share some insights as a long-time Audi enthusiast and a current Model X owner.

First things first, as you know and can inform your friend, BEV is a fundamental choice. If that's something that interests your friend, that's all it takes. And on the other hand, if that is something that gives him pause, nothing in the Model X will probably (nor should it) convince him otherwise. If he is like many, that most of his driving is daily commuting within the car's range and he can charge at home or at work, then an EV will be a blessing and superior in convenience compared to ICE. If he needs to travel long-range a lot, even if Supercharging serves those routes, it is a pain compared to the convenience of ICE.

As for the Model S vs. Model X question, I came from a Model S P85 to the Model X P100D, and the Model X is more upscale, though quirky in its own way (quirky doors, limited utility with electric second row, panoramic windshield problematic). The range and general BEV convenience feels similar enough to me on both of these cars, so unless the battery choice or range requirements cause your friend to push the envelope - or the seating arrangements or the mentioned quirks of Model X give him some pause - I find the Model X working very well in everyday use. If he likes your Model S, and can handle Model X's quirks, he would probably like the Model X too.

Also, the Q7 will be more luxuriously appointed. Model X quality varies a lot and its interior features are rather lackluster in this day and age. Model X is a bit more Toyota, and a lot less Audi. The Q7 will have rear-seat entertainment and 360 camera parking views and HUD and massaging ventilated seats and many things the Model X of today does not have. (Though a Model X interior refresh is rumoured if your friend can wait a while.)

The caveats out of the way, onto the "sales pitch" material.

I think there are three, compared to the Q7:

1) If off-the-line performance is your friend's thing, the Q7 will always feel like a sluggish piece of concrete compared to the Model X. (Then again, if your friend wants to take the car to the track or fly it to German autobahn, that performance will eat quickly into the battery.) But I think this is probably the number one "sales pitch" thing that I've seen convert guys in Porsches to Teslas in the blink of an eye. A large-battery BEV can be amazingly quick from 0, even with Tesla's counter gate shenanigans and what have you. A performance ICE sedan or sportscar can compete somewhat, but an ICE SUV simply can not at the moment at least. Really, it is almost go kart like the way the Model X P100D goes. It does go and is surprisingly agile. The two-motor all wheel drive also handles some tricky spots better than Audi's quattro that has certain axle-related blindspots that a two-motor system is not susceptible to...

2) The second thing is the updateable software system and the big touchscreen. Frankly, sometimes Tesla owners make too big a deal of it because as cars age the updates really are not that big or magnificent, as older versions slowly and surely fall behind and the wayside - or changes make things worse. But it really is a difference compared to an Audi, where hard buttons still rule the day and software updates are far apart and few (the MMI does get some updates, though). Of course this includes the Autopilot, though it must be mentioned that Q7 probably will get Audi's Level 3 system in a year or two, if your friend is not buying today but later. We shall see if Tesla gets to real Level 3 (car takes responsibility) within that timeframe. If your friend is a software geek who likes to update his computers and mobile devices, he might enjoy the Tesla experience. If not, he might hate it. :)

3) Third, I guess would be the doors and the second row monopost seats (now partly discontinued). Model X certainly is a memorable car - and as Elon Musk said, probably should not have been built. Tesla is already moving away from the monopost second row (still available in the six-seater), replacing them with folding manual seats (functional, but very boring compared to Q7 seats), and I guess it is only a matter of time until the falcon wings in future models are on the chopping block... But for now, or perhaps exactly because of it... if your friend likes a show, this car certainly will give them a memorable one. The doors are terribly inpractical for pretty much everything except sitting in a baby, but some have bought Model X for those doors alone. I know I did. I hate them every day, but it also feels like a once in a lifetime car. The DeLorean, the Coutach of today - just this time it's an SUV. The one kids want on their wall on a poster.

Frankly, the Model X is indeed a bit Lambo. It's crazy and impractical and hard to life with, but it has lasers and stuff and is somehow magnificent. It is a big daft orange dog.

Who doesn't want a big daft orange dog?