Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My garage door closed while I was was backing out of my garage and damaged tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my wife was backing out my tesla today and the garage door was starting to close by itself. We have the MyQ feature that closes door when your away about 30 feet. It damaged our car and also the garage door. We called tesla and they said this can happen!!!!!. They said they had nothing to do with this and call MyQ. MyQ said they have nothing to do about it and it was tesla problem with there GPS.. I did some internet research and found out this has happened to other people especially after receiving an upgrade to new software. Sure enough we got an upgrade that morning! Who can i call at tesla to address this issue?

Doesn’t your garage door opener have an auto reverse feature if it detects something in the doorway? Trying to understand how this would happen. In any case, Tesla is not going to take responsibility for something like this, especially since you can’t prove it wasn’t a myQ issue.

I use HomeLink, but I don’t have it programmed to auto close just because of the possibility of something like that happening.

Doesn’t your garage door opener have an auto reverse feature if it detects something in the doorway? Trying to understand how this would happen. In any case, Tesla is not going to take responsibility for something like this, especially since you can’t prove it wasn’t a myQ issue.

I use HomeLink, but I don’t have it programmed to auto close just because of the possibility of something like that happening.
If the sensor was installed low enough, it may have had a clean shot under the car.

1717540614755.png

1717540666608.png

Reactions: redpoint5
I have it set to close and it definitely has happened. But I now aim to make sure that let it trigger and stop and then trigger it to open back up. Or you can manually trigger it ahead of time, if you feel like it’ll trigger when you’re under the door. That cancels the auto-activation for a bit.

I learnt this the hard way in a slightly different situation with my previous car. It was only manually triggered and I had somehow had it stopped partway up. But when looking through my side mirrors, I couldn’t see it and thought it was all the way up. Now I have dented garage door (pushed back as much as I could) with many missing bolts (put back what few I did find). The vehicle has since been traded in for my MYP, but it has a permanent mark on the spoiler and rear glass.

So yeah, I make extra effort to know what position the garage door is in or if it’s moving.

Last edited:
That sucks. I hate reading stuff like this. It's too bad you're new here because I've been saying for years on this forum to not trust these cars to automatically open/close garage doors. Garage doors are dumb and the car just toggles a signal. On top of that, the cars GPS location functionality is iffy for exacting items like this. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze as evidenced by your situation.

If you don't allow it to automatically open/close the door the option to trigger it automatically pops up on the screen whenever you arrive home. This means you can simply give the screen one single tap to open it when you get home or close it when you leave. People are literally saving one single screen tap at the risk of property damage. No idea why anyone would knowingly take that risk unless they trust Tesla and all of their automations implicitly which is often the case.

You likely won't get anyone at Tesla to accept responsibility for what happened and that's if you're even lucky to speak with a human at Tesla.

it does but the senser are low. The tesla tech even admitted there is a "glitch" sometimes!! Really,....should tell people this before hand. Think is truly a tesla problem when lots of people have damaged their car after an update.

That sucks. I hate reading stuff like this. It's too bad you're new here because I've been saying for years on this forum to not trust these cars to automatically open/close garage doors. Garage doors are dumb and the car just toggles a signal. On top of that, the cars GPS location functionality is iffy for exacting items like this. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze as evidenced by your situation.

If you don't allow it to automatically open/close the door the option to trigger it automatically pops up on the screen whenever you arrive home. This means you can simply give the screen one single tap to open it when you get home or close it when you leave. People are literally saving one single screen tap at the risk of property damage. No idea why anyone would knowingly take that risk unless they trust Tesla and all of their automations implicitly which is often the case.

You likely won't get anyone at Tesla to accept responsibility for what happened and that's if you're even lucky to speak with a human at Tesla.
really trusted tesla...... tesla is aware of the problem after update to software......why dont they fix this or warn people?

Who can i call at tesla to address this issue?
Nobody. They will not accept responsibility in any scenario that I can imagine.

If you want someone to pay for this you probably need to start with your homeowners insurance.

Years ago I was messing around with Summon and the auto-close feature on my Model S. Summon pulled the car into the garage Not Quite Far Enough and closed the door such that one of the hinges left two nice vertical gouges in my rear bumper.

Turned that feature off right quick and lived without it for the next 7 years.

They said they had nothing to do with this and call MyQ. MyQ said they have nothing to do about it and it was tesla problem with there GPS.
It was a GPS problem. My Teslas have Homelink, not MyQ, and the same thing happened once when my wife was backing out. The GPS was momentarily inaccurate, and thought she was farther away. GPS cannot be relied upon for that level of accuracy. The only solution is to turn off the automatic close garage door feature. We did.

Kinda glad that I'm too cheap to pay a monthly fee for someone else to control my garage door. I had the free trial when I first got the Y and let it run out. It worked okay for the month.
Raise the sensor higher. problem solved.
I've never seen garage door sensors so poorly placed that it wouldn't sense a car in it's path. That's one of the big purposes for having them. I'm guessing it began closing before the car was in the path and his wife didn't see it coming down. This sorta stuff happens so quickly.

Only way to get someone to take responsibility right now is to file a lawsuit, but the next call should be the insurance company to fix the car & garage door, then stop using that feature.

One of the many reasons why I would never let my garage door open, or close automatically. I've been enjoying MyQ for almost a year now with very few issues. Those have been limited to needing to hit the close button 2x once in awhile, but otherwise, it works as expected.

OP, sorry this happened to you.

Nobody. They will not accept responsibility in any scenario that I can imagine.

If you want someone to pay for this you probably need to start with your homeowners insurance.

Years ago I was messing around with Summon and the auto-close feature on my Model S. Summon pulled the car into the garage Not Quite Far Enough and closed the door such that one of the hinges left two nice vertical gouges in my rear bumper.

Turned that feature off right quick and lived without it for the next 7 years.
My Tesla closed the door on my wife when I was leaving. It cost me a new garage door and a repair bill for her Mercedes. I had read about prior problems on this forum,but thought I knew better. The system worked exactly as it should have but I also turned it off and have been trouble free since then.

my wife was backing out my tesla today and the garage door was starting to close by itself. We have the MyQ feature that closes door when your away about 30 feet. It damaged our car and also the garage door. We called tesla and they said this can happen!!!!!. They said they had nothing to do with this and call MyQ. MyQ said they have nothing to do about it and it was tesla problem with there GPS.. I did some internet research and found out this has happened to other people especially after receiving an upgrade to new software. Sure enough we got an upgrade that morning! Who can i call at tesla to address this issue?
Good luck with Tesla. I'm sure all of those folks have been laid off.

It's unfortunate many of us learn this the hard way, as it should be more "common knowledge" that gets disseminated to everyone.

I've had the garage door close on a company car and scratch the bumper, so the first thing I did when I got the Tesla as a personal vehicle was to adjust the sensors higher. I think they set those sensors to protect cats instead of cars.

I'm using a $5 generic remote to open/close my garage door.