Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My model 3 says full at 210 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve had my model 3 for about four months now and on September 1 it went from 240 miles charged at 100% to 210 miles charge at 100%. Now almost a month and a half later it charges 100% at 204 miles and I’ve brought it to the service center three times and they keep telling me they’ll get back to me...........nothing yet!!
One question:

Are you on the Go Pedal hard all the time in town and going way over 77mph on the highway travel and constantly accelerating hard on the highway as well? Pumping the go pedal?

Sounds like your car and others has detected your habits and is reading out to you your expected range with those habits. Just think about it. The BMS is a brain taking into consideration an awful lot of data.

I have a MR with 20k on it and with all the talk of a power boost coming I wanted to see where my range was at when fully charged. Did it Friday night and Sunday night, both mornings at 99% range read 240 miles. I normally drive on percentage so I'm not sure if this just happened worth V10 or has been dipping over the last few months.

Service ranger just replaced my display unit last week so I texted him this morning and he said not to worry because the cold weather affects it....I don't think so.
you don't need to charge to 100% to figure out your range, just divide miles left by % left and multiply by 100

I have an SR+ and was very dismayed to see this happen too. Within 2 months of getting my car it only charged to 230 at 100%. I tried the deep cycling a couple times to no avail. I tried soft and hard resets. Nothing changed it. That was in August and I haven't charged to 100% since then. I did have an appointment at the service center for something else and asked about it. They said they ran diagnostics on my battery and that it was not only functioning properly, but functioning better than other batteries from a similar time frame. They said that the display will adjust to my driving and show what range is available based on weather conditions, my driving, what kinds of things I'm doing with the car like if I have the heat blasting, etc. The thing is, I'm not a lead foot so I wouldn't expect to see less range like you would with someone who drove at high speeds so I'm skeptical of what they told me, but there's not much I can do about it. I wonder if I charged it up to 100% now if it would show more loss. It's colder now so it probably will. I'll find out soon. I have a trip in a couple weeks that I plan to take the Tesla on. 110 miles is my longest stretch to a supercharger so hopefully I'll have enough range, even in the colder weather. I actually have a number of trips this winter, a couple with slightly longer stretches before I reach a supercharger so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as to how much range I'll get in the cold.

Reactions: drewshady
This thread is now confusing two issues.

For the OP, firstly it appears that his car has been accidentally downgraded from SR+ to SR. This is surely a simple fix and it is not clear why the service centre has not had this actioned.

Secondly it appears that he is seeing unusually high degradation. This is concerning, however, it could possibly be to do with the accidental downgrade rather than a battery issue.

I don't know the Florida lemon laws, but if the service centre continually fails to fix the accidental downgrade then they may well apply. It would seem stupid of Tesla to allow a simple mistake to escalate to this level.

The high battery degradation is a more difficult issue. I believe that Tesla's battery warranty does not cover the speed of degradation and only kicks in when you hit 70% of rated capacity, which most people would probably consider unacceptably low. If Tesla does not provide what they would consider "goodwill" fixes above this level then it could be that legal action is the only remedy.

The second issue is people worried about first year degradation and the nonsense answer they are getting from service centres that it is due to their driving etc. The batteries degrade faster in the first year/10,000 miles than they do after this. This is well known and this should be the answer that people get from the service centre, this kind of thing has become endemic when dealing with large companies where you are fobbed off with lies and obfuscation rather than straight forward answers when you have an issue. Degradation of 3-4% in the first year would not likely be something to worry about, although it is highish and worth monitoring, and it should slow down after that (The OP does appear to be at the point where I would be getting worried and there may be an issue).

I cannot find good data on Model 3 degradation but have attached data on Model S degradation from this source Tesla Model S battery degradation data

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 03.37.57.png
    Screenshot 2019-10-29 at 03.37.57.png
    275.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
This thread is now confusing two issues.

For the OP, firstly it appears that his car has been accidentally downgraded from SR+ to SR. This is surely a simple fix and it is not clear why the service centre has not had this actioned.

Secondly it appears that he is seeing unusually high degradation. This is concerning, however, it could possibly be to do with the accidental downgrade rather than a battery issue.

I don't know the Florida lemon laws, but if the service centre continually fails to fix the accidental downgrade then they may well apply. It would seem stupid of Tesla to allow a simple mistake to escalate to this level.

The high battery degradation is a more difficult issue. I believe that Tesla's battery warranty does not cover the speed of degradation and only kicks in when you hit 70% of rated capacity, which most people would probably consider unacceptably low. If Tesla does not provide what they would consider "goodwill" fixes above this level then it could be that legal action is the only remedy.

The second issue is people worried about first year degradation and the nonsense answer they are getting from service centres that it is due to their driving etc. The batteries degrade faster in the first year/10,000 miles than they do after this. This is well known and this should be the answer that people get from the service centre, this kind of thing has become endemic when dealing with large companies where you are fobbed off with lies and obfuscation rather than straight forward answers when you have an issue. Degradation of 3-4% in the first year would not likely be something to worry about, although it is highish and worth monitoring, and it should slow down after that (The OP does appear to be at the point where I would be getting worried and there may be an issue).

I cannot find good data on Model 3 degradation but have attached data on Model S degradation from this source Tesla Model S battery degradation data

Here is the latest chart which includes Model 3 data now. Tesla Battery Survey

5364293C-C1CF-4EDE-B1F9-3C39F91AE022.jpeg

Tesla's range estimate very accurate, do we know if it's based on recent driving habit? I'd imagine with Tesla's software and data source they can get it to a very realistic level.
I come from the Nissan Leaf and still waiting for my SR+, but in the Leaf the range estimate is all over the place, if I'm doing 70mph the day before then next morning my range will drop to 50 miles but if I've being driving around town I'll see range estimate up to 100 miles. That's why EV's range display is often referred to as GOM (guess-o-meter).

Tesla's range estimate very accurate, do we know if it's based on recent driving habit? I'd imagine with Tesla's software and data source they can get it to a very realistic level.
I come from the Nissan Leaf and still waiting for my SR+, but in the Leaf the range estimate is all over the place, if I'm doing 70mph the day before then next morning my range will drop to 50 miles but if I've being driving around town I'll see range estimate up to 100 miles. That's why EV's range display is often referred to as GOM (guess-o-meter).

No guess-o-meter with Teslas. It is all pretty deterministic unless you are looking at the Energy Consumption. Battery gauge - no real guessing; just a display of energy available. Energy Trip - not really guessing much, as it uses elevation profile. Energy Consumption - just kind of a random number generator as it has no idea what is coming (only loose correlation to actual range).

Well, maybe it is time to send a massive amount of emails to customer service to clarify the issue. According to the number of complaints, there must be something initiated by Tesla. For some reasons, they stay quiet and try to side track people.

I have an SR+ and was very dismayed to see this happen too. Within 2 months of getting my car it only charged to 230 at 100%. I tried the deep cycling a couple times to no avail. I tried soft and hard resets. Nothing changed it. That was in August and I haven't charged to 100% since then. I did have an appointment at the service center for something else and asked about it. They said they ran diagnostics on my battery and that it was not only functioning properly, but functioning better than other batteries from a similar time frame. They said that the display will adjust to my driving and show what range is available based on weather conditions, my driving, what kinds of things I'm doing with the car like if I have the heat blasting, etc. The thing is, I'm not a lead foot so I wouldn't expect to see less range like you would with someone who drove at high speeds so I'm skeptical of what they told me, but there's not much I can do about it. I wonder if I charged it up to 100% now if it would show more loss. It's colder now so it probably will. I'll find out soon. I have a trip in a couple weeks that I plan to take the Tesla on. 110 miles is my longest stretch to a supercharger so hopefully I'll have enough range, even in the colder weather. I actually have a number of trips this winter, a couple with slightly longer stretches before I reach a supercharger so I'm keeping my fingers crossed as to how much range I'll get in the cold.

my sr+ is only 5 months old and now only charges to 230 too. That is either coincidence and degraded exactly to the limit of 230 or something fishy is going on with Tesla and their upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.