Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My new Model Y's range SUCKS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did you're right but right now my girlfriend's gas car has a significantly better dollars per mile than the Tesla. Gas needs to go up a lot for me to catch up because my electric is expensive. I am pretty sure I would need $4-$5 a gallon. It's not going to happen since we are largely moving away from fuel worldwide. I actually expect the cost of electric to go higher or our registration to go up. States need to make up the lost gas tax. I do think the 0 maintenance time and cost offsets the electric cost though. My girlfriends alternator went out so fixing that and her oil changes put her as more costly than the Tesla overall this year.

I still like driving my car more though but I see no cost saving over fuel if you have a fuel efficient car.

Like most people, we don't take road trips every day. Our MY on most days, is driven less than 150 miles a day and we charge the MY at home at a great savings over gas vehicles. We only use the superchargers on "road trips" and must plan carefully as currently, there aren't enough of them.

Reactions: bicar and psuKinger
Like most people, we don't take road trips every day. Our MY on most days, is driven less than 150 miles a day and we charge the MY at home at a great savings over gas vehicles. We only use the superchargers on "road trips" and must plan carefully as currently, there aren't enough of them.

I've used a supercharger like 4 times and it was to use up free miles. My home electric is .21 per kwh after fees. Nobody where I am is saving fuel money over a comparable fuel efficient car. I always charge at home. I don't blame Tesla it's the mismanaged electric company.

Last edited:
Reactions: psuKinger
I did you're right but right now my girlfriend's gas car has a significantly better dollars per mile than the Tesla. Gas needs to go up a lot for me to catch up because my electric is expensive. I am pretty sure I would need $4-$5 a gallon. It's not going to happen since we are largely moving away from fuel worldwide. I actually expect the cost of electric to go higher or our registration to go up. States need to make up the lost gas tax. I do think the 0 maintenance time and cost offsets the electric cost though. My girlfriends alternator went out so fixing that and her oil changes put her as more costly than the Tesla overall this year.

I still like driving my car more though but I see no cost saving over fuel if you have a fuel efficient car.

This depend where you are located. Here in the PNW, when I crunch the numbers my Tesla in the summer is getting about 125+ mpge .. try finding that in an ICE car.

This depend where you are located. Here in the PNW, when I crunch the numbers my Tesla in the summer is getting about 125+ mpge .. try finding that in an ICE car.

Your electric has to be around .06 per kwh if you are comparing it to a fuel efficient vehicle. I am not sure that price exists after other electric fees. I don't believe you are getting over 125mpg cost comparing cost.

• Love
Reactions: moswissa
Where I live in CA gas prices are between $2.50 and $3.00. I’m assuming “fuel efficient” car to be like 40mpg.

my wife’s model 3 will go ~40 miles on ~10kw of energy. We pay $0.13/kw at home for power. That’s $1.30 for 40 miles. Seems cheaper to me.

also in theory you could charge your car off of solar energy. You can’t make your own gasoline. I’m actually expecting to be net zero with the utility company this year, even with charging the Tesla at home.

I’m curious how fast you’re driving? I’ve been getting terrible numbers as well, i made a round trip from Fremont to Sacramento (Elk Grove) with 100% charge and return with 8%, which is about 180 miles round trip. I wonder if driving at 75-80 mph with A/C would cause such a dramatic drop in range. :(

• Funny
Reactions: captanzuelo
View attachment 530203 Dont know how to upload pics yet but here it is:

Since last charge:
128.8 miles
44kWh
345 Wh/mi
26%battery remaining

Most worrisome number for me here is 44kWh used at 26%battery left. That means that ~75% of my battery is 44kWh. That would make my battery capacity only 60kWh. I thought Y's battery is 70kWh.

Moreover my car was delivered with 73% battery remaining. I charged it once at home and once at supercharger (that's the juice I'm using now).
My "lifetime stats" are:

460.8 mi
168kWh
364 Wh/mi

If someone can help me with direct image upload to my post I will send my energy profile.
Even with "grandma" driving, my usage NEVER drops below 320 Wh/mi (unless on downhill).

This is really frustrating. I believe I may not have the same size battery as the rest of you...
Tesla used to make a 60kw Model S, the physical capacity being the same as the 75kw. For an $2k extra this would upgrade the 60kw to 75kw via over the air software. Perhaps this is what needs to be done with obviously no $2k fee.

Where I live in CA gas prices are between $2.50 and $3.00. I’m assuming “fuel efficient” car to be like 40mpg.

my wife’s model 3 will go ~40 miles on ~10kw of energy. We pay $0.13/kw at home for power. That’s $1.30 for 40 miles. Seems cheaper to me.

also in theory you could charge your car off of solar energy. You can’t make your own gasoline. I’m actually expecting to be net zero with the utility company this year, even with charging the Tesla at home.

Agreed, but how many people drive "fuel efficient" ICE cars these days? Most people are buying SUVs .. good luck getting 40 mpg with those!

For reference (and in answer to the earlier post), my comparison was against my old ICE car, an Infiniti sedan. Which got maybe 21 mpg on premium fuel. Was that a fair comparison? It was for me, which showed how much I was actually saving compared to my prior car. However, even if I compare to regular gas in a (maybe) 25 mpg SUV, I still end up WAY ahead.

I’m curious how fast you’re driving? I’ve been getting terrible numbers as well, i made a round trip from Fremont to Sacramento (Elk Grove) with 100% charge and return with 8%, which is about 180 miles round trip. I wonder if driving at 75-80 mph with A/C would cause such a dramatic drop in range. :(

It will .. its speed (and math). Ever put your hand out the car window at 50mph? At 80 mph? Feel the force of the air? The car is using most of its energy pushing through the air, and that energy use increases dramatically with speed (its proportional to speed squared, if I remember right). At 75-80 mph you are using a LOT more energy to go each mile.

Agreed, but how many people drive "fuel efficient" ICE cars these days? Most people are buying SUVs .. good luck getting 40 mpg with those!

For reference (and in answer to the earlier post), my comparison was against my old ICE car, an Infiniti sedan. Which got maybe 21 mpg on premium fuel. Was that a fair comparison? It was for me, which showed how much I was actually saving compared to my prior car. However, even if I compare to regular gas in a (maybe) 25 mpg SUV, I still end up WAY ahead.

i agree...my next car, hopefully an EV/Tesla, will be replacing my Grand Cherokee which averages about 17mpg if I am lucky. EPA it’s rated 19/23. I would save well over $1,000 per year on fuel costs and I don’t even drive that much.

i agree...my next car, hopefully an EV/Tesla, will be replacing my Grand Cherokee which averages about 17mpg if I am lucky. EPA it’s rated 19/23. I would save well over $1,000 per year on fuel costs and I don’t even drive that much.

before switching to the Tesla and a plug in electric, my wife and I had a garage full of performance BMWs. We averaged over $6,000/yr in fuel. Now we are at around $400/yr and that’s just for the PHEV. The Tesla is free basically from our solar. That kind of savings just about funds an IRA every year. Pretty cool...

My electric utility says it's .10 per kwh. In reality after fees i am closer to .21 per kwh. I don't believe I get even 30 miles in 10 kwh on my 3, maybe it's my driving. Solar isn't free energy. My parents paid 25k for solar. I am actually paying less then them to drive my Tesla and just pay for it for the next 10 years.

I just have expensive electric. If you save money on fuel that is great. I expected to save more than I am.

Last edited:
For the first several drives, my usage was higher. I think this was a combination of break-in and enjoying the power. My lifetime is 261 Wh/mi, but that's steadily getting better. I signed up for TeslaFi last week, and have averaged a mere 227 Wh/mi since then. That's a 74000/227=326 mile range. (Keeping in mind that pre-cooling the car doesn't count in this calculation.)

These drives are my commute, 3 MPH over the speed limit, a mix of 70, 65, and 55 MPH roads (more 55 than 65 or 70), 68* cabin temp, FSD on 90% of the time.
Screenshot_20200730-184851_Chrome.jpg
20200730_160919.jpg

My electric utility says it's .10 per kwh. In reality after fees i am closer to .21 per kwh.

Wow .. that's a significant jump with fees.

I don't believe I get even 30 miles in 10 kwh on my 3, maybe it's my driving.

/nod .. well if you have a performance .. my wife's is an SR+ and we can get really good numbers. I have been testing it pretty heavily the last two weeks and can actually get rated wh/mile or less @ 70mph, and crazy stuff like 185wh/mile @ 55.

Solar isn't free energy. My parents paid 25k for solar.

My solar will have paid for itself in five years. after that it will be free energy. Its a significant savings, I was spending ~$4,000/yr on power.

So i just got my Performance Y a few days ago, I had a P3 before this and a P85+ before that,

My Y even on "chill" mode and trying to get good watts per mile. is still doing 375-400 wt/mi, this is
driving between 25-45 on normal roads with no highway, I feel something is wrong as with my P3 not even on
chill i would normally get around 250-260 watt/mile on any normal day

Today i drove 15 miles and used 11kwh driving how i said above, So i would be lucky to get 150 from a 100^% charge at this rate