Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried two different 12V tire inflators and both worked for about 3 seconds before the fuse tripped. So I gave up on the idea of having an inflator that only works on 12V. I bought the Ryobi P737 inflator and two rechargeable batteries. I keep the kit in my frunk and so far I’ve been very happy with it.

The Dewalt inflator is a nice solution but twice the price of the Ryobi once you buy the AC adapter, 12V adapter, and battery.

I also keep two spare tires in my garage, but I don’t keep any in the trunk because I don’t want to lose that much space. If I was going on a long road trip in some remote areas I would probably throw one of them in the trunk.

Reactions: house9
Hi thanks for your post and link. Can you share what tire repair kit you used?

It was just your typical plug kit, like this:
C38E1200-167D-4475-B53F-E8D2203CA40D.jpeg

Had my first slow leak. Lost about 5lbs of pressure a day in the left front. I would add air each morning, and check the tire, by running my hands over the surface. Didn't feel anything, so I started to think perhaps I had a leaking valve, since I had replaced my tires in November.

After a few days, I decided to setup an appt with my tire shop to check the valve, but just before doing that, I turned the steering wheel, and gave the tire a thorough visual inspection, and found the culprit. Apparently, I didn't feel it when checking, or it was underneath the tire, each time I checked!
Screenshot 2020-06-21 12.12.42.jpg

The experience had given me a good chance to test my no spare tire kit. I had used the compressor a bunch of times to add the 5lbs lost, and I'd get a chance to fill the tire, after plugging it. It worked fantastic. You set the pressure, and it pumps to the number and stops. It's small, doesn't get too hot, and never caused a fuse to blow in the car. The cords wrap around the pump nicely.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9WSTEG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the tire plugged:
Screenshot 2020-06-21 12.12.29.jpg

I had used regular tire plug kits in the past, but thought I'd try the Tire Plugger, as it seemed like a better plug with a mushroom head on the inside of the tire. It comes with an awl to pry any screw or nail out of the tire, and a reamer, and a little knife to clean up the plug after. Works really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018EUDHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plug seems to be holding well.

Normally they recommend you cut the plug off flush with the tread.
I have the Milwaukee 12V inflator. It also stops at a preset pressure and uses its own M12 battery of which I have a bunch..
I've had only one plug leak and that was over 35 years ago when they were just rubber. Otherwise I can't tell you how many tires I have worn out with plugs in them.

Normally they recommend you cut the plug off flush with the tread.
I have the Milwaukee 12V inflator. It also stops at a preset pressure and uses its own M12 battery of which I have a bunch..
I've had only one plug leak and that was over 35 years ago when they were just rubber. Otherwise I can't tell you how many tires I have worn out with plugs in them.
LOL, yes, I cut the plug off, flush with the tread. Just wanted to show what the mushroom plug looks like. If I show the plug after I trimmed it, you wouldn't see any difference with a regular plug.

Siminoff, you wouldn’t happen to know how many grams or ounces your adapter/8L0 011 031 aluminum jack combo is ?

I’m trying to figure out how much more it is than the Porsche scissor jack setup. I much prefer the added safety of the more robust lever arm over the weaker scissor mechanism if it’s not that much more weight to carry around in case the unthinkable occurs.

Thanks for releasing your adapter dimensions for all posterity !

-=dave

View attachment 505892 I also got my first Tesla flat tire this week. I was able to plug it with my tire repair kit without jacking up the car / removing the tire. Then used my Kobalt air inflator for the first time. It worked great! Was able to use the car’s 12V plug without tripping any “fuse/breaker”. Here’s information for it:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-12-...tage-Air-Inflator-Power-Source-Car/1000092575

I decided to get this inflator because it has the 2 power source option (12V/120V), valve stem quick connect/release, digital pre-set with auto shutoff, flashlight, and it looks pretty cool. It pumped tire quickly and pressure was also pretty accurate (about 4-5 psi off). Only negative is that it doesn’t come with a carrying case ... but no biggie, I just keep it stored in its box.

Thanks for the heads up on this DaFunGuy.
I checked the link you provided and it did not indicate the amperage requirements.
On this thread, there's concern that the cig adapter is 12 amps and using anything requiring > 12 amps may blow the fuse.
Can you check if the amperage is indicated in your manual or the documentation that came with the product?

Thanks!

Can you check if the amperage is indicated in your manual or the documentation that came with the product?

You can find just about any product manual online with a minimal effort. I found it for this product here. The manual doesn't specifically give an amperage rating, but it does have an onboard 10 amp fuse, so it will (theoretically) trip before it trips the Tesla breaker.

Did Mark ever create any of these for members of this forum or has anyone else had luck making them? I'd love to get my hands on one if anyone is capable of producing them.

I don’t believe Mark did but I may be wrong. However I duplicated Mark’s set up perfectly after speaking with him last year. It works alright but with great cranking difficulty and stress on the VW/Audi/Porsche collapsing jack due to load. A little too weak & flimsy for my taste due in part to the extreme weight of 4WD EV’s at all four corners. I prefer my lightweight aluminum set up especially on mountainous passes, uneven roadway shoulders and such.I added a wheel/tire chuck to stabilize the front wheels/tire as the front wheels don’t lock like a typical car ... they roll freely. If you need to jack up the rear on an incline, the front tire may roll, thus dropping the car. Rolling off this small single point scissor jack could be a disaster in such circumstances. So I ended up scrapping it for what I now have in the frunks of all three Teslas we own. Much more stable and secure. See post #105... (tap pix to expand) and the next page for the frunk cover I made.

Last edited:
I don’t believe Mark did but I may be wrong. However I duplicated Mark’s set up perfectly after speaking with him last year. It works alright but with great cranking difficulty and stress on the VW/Audi/Porsche collapsing jack due to load. A little too weak & flimsy for my taste due in part to the extreme weight of 4WD EV’s at all four corners. I prefer my lightweight aluminum set up especially on mountainous passes, uneven roadway shoulders and such.I added a wheel/tire chuck to stabilize the front wheels/tire as the front wheels don’t lock like a typical car ... they roll freely. If you need to jack up the rear on an incline, the front tire may roll, thus dropping the car. Rolling off this small single point scissor jack could be a disaster in such circumstances. So I ended up scrapping it for what I now have in the frunks of all three Teslas we own. Much more stable and secure. See post #105... (tap pix to expand) and the next page for the frunk cover I made.

Thanks, RIP! I'm taking your advice and buying the floor jack you've recommended.

FYI I have Milwaukee tools so I bought the M12 inflator. It works fine on 3/Y sized tires. Turn it on, set the pressure, turn it loose and it stops at the pressure designated. No need for a connection to the car. Great for bikes too.
I love the Milwaukee M12 inflator, but it's even better if you add one of these quick release adapters to the screw-on connector on the end of the hose:

It's also better (lasts longer) with upgraded M12 battery rather than the tiny size M12 that comes with most of the cordless driver/drill kits.