Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Quick Bolt Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice review. One minor nit:

...The only included EVSE is a 120V 12A charger, so you'll have to spring for a $500 EVSE for your home, but frankly, that's the way Tesla is going as well...

The included EVSE works just fine at 240v. It is the same as provided with the Gen 2 Volts. All that is needed is a quick trip to Home Depot, then build yourself a plug adapter. (240v plug of your choice on one end, a bit of SJOOW cable, and a NEMA 5-15R receptacle on the other end.) Still limited to 12 amps, but 2x faster than 120v charging.

On CCS: Each of the current CCS sites typically only has one charger stall. As more folks try to road trip with Bolts, it is easy to predict major contention for CCS stalls along highly traveled routes. It is going to take years to sort out.

• Informative
Reactions: abasile
When I tried a Bolt, I was happy with the seat - although I've never been very picky.

And, the seats I tried were leather. I have heard that the cloth ones are notably worse. Of course opinions will differ; but in any event it appears the seats are not the same, so be sure to try the ones you might buy.

I'll let you be the judge. The first one was a Mk4 Golf GTI, and the second one was a Mazda Protege5. :)

No uglier than any of the other 30+ hatchback models. A Golf looks like a Rabbit, and Protege5 looks like an older Focus station wagon.

nuova-ford-focus-station-wagon-2010.jpg

The reality is that many hatchbacks have good back seat room and front seat room, and adequate cargo capacity.

If somebody is expecting both a ,21Cd shape and a big backseat with lots of headroom in the Model 3... we won't know for while, but the 2 conflict.

I was hoping for the Model 3 to be a 2+2 performance coupe. This would have distinguished it from the Model S and prompted an upgrade path, lowered production costs, and reduced weight.

• Disagree
Reactions: pjoseph
On the freeway, I saw 53 kW of regen shown on the instrument cluster, which is a lot for this fairly light EV.
I keep forgetting to try this myself but others have reported getting up to 70 kW of regen on the freeway if you press the steering wheel regen paddle together with letting your foot off the 'go' pedal in 'L' driving mode.

It seems like some of the initial Bolt reviews reported some pretty painful losses from going down I-5 (level roads, 70mph speed limit) at normal ICE speeds like 80mph,
I haven't really tried this yet either. I just got back from driving 124.2 miles today around the SF Bay Area including through hills on I-280 and fairly long stretches of flat freeway at 65-70 mph along with some occasional congestion and city street traffic. Overall I used 28.4 kWh for about 229 Wh per mile from the battery. That includes using the air conditioner for an hour or so mildly cool the car.

The Bolt is inherently not going to be a slippery car with its general shape tradeoffs but it's .308 rather than the .32 which is often reported. Pretty average rather than terrible. That's going hurt somewhat at 80 mph but the car is starting from a pretty good baseline efficiency.

I think, after 3 years free, it costs $15-$30 a month.
GM used to have generous OnStar coverage on the early Volt models but the Bolt EV only gets 3 months (6 months free if you sign up before leaving the dealer, I think).

At 50 kW, using them will be pretty annoying I'd think. They say 90 miles in 30 minutes, but on a trip that's not a good example, how long does 180 miles take? That's about 70% for an S, but about 95% for the Bolt at highway speed.
I have a sense that many Tesla drivers stop to charge every 120-140 miles. After you burn off the initial full charge, I think that would be a common stopping point for CCS charging in a Bolt.

While it's certainly true that the Bolt charges at only about half the initial rate of a typical Tesla I've driven both a P85 from SF to Las Vegas and a Bolt from SF to Los Angeles and had similar overall subjective experiences.

The Model S was faster to charge but it didn't make that much of a perceptible difference since both charged long enough that I went off to eat, shop, etc and the car was ready when I was returning from those activities. The Bolt took longer but after 30-40 of charging, the time perception of taking an additional ~20-30 minutes didn't stand out much. I thought the Bolt was very usable as an occasional relaxed holiday road trip car.

My theoretical plan is to eventually get a Model 3 with the optional extended battery pack and use that for road trips while keeping the Bolt as a 2nd family car used mainly for regional trips or where it's practical storage utility is needed. But, I think the Bolt is usable for occasional long trips.

In order to keep the charging above 70 amps, the equivalent MPH to driving at freeway speed, you have to stop every 120 miles after you use up your initial full charge. The taper starts at 55%-60% SOC and drops to 25kW by about 70% SOC.
Yes.

I'm hoping the VW rollout will consist of sizable installations where they are 8-10+ chargers in a single spot.

The VW Highway Fast Chargers will have multiple stations at each site. I think it said 4 to 6 chargers per site.
VW said an average of 5 charging connections at a single location but with a range between 4 and 10. Likely, it will be closer to 10 in urban areas and closer to 4 in rural areas.

However, the Bolt EV is not well positioned to take advantage of these future chargers that are over 50kW because of the severity of its charging taper.
Well, if you arrive with 15% SOC you may be able to take advantage of full charging rates for the first ~23 kWh. On the other hand, I'm not expecting future chargers to do much more than 50-55 kW at ~150A during that stretch but we should no more about that soon.

Last edited:
One of the competitive advantages I had thought Tesla would always have is their Supercharger network. But I just did a search on Plugshare and found 138 CCS fast charging locations in the LA/OC/Riverside metro areas. Yipes. And new CCS chargers are being installed at a very fast rate (and VW's settlement is only going to help).

It's been pointed out, but two points:

1. The CCS network isn't comparable to the SC network
2. It must be nice to live in California, where your comment isn't wildly off the mark.

It's been pointed out, but two points:

2. It must be nice to live in California, where your comment isn't wildly off the mark.

1) They are not interchangeable whatsoever. If the kids are playing soccer, noting that there are baseballs in the shed isn't on topic.
2) California has 7.5 times more cars than Minnesota. And each car is 8.7 times more likely to be an EV. For every EV you see, we see 65.

US_concentration_of_plug-in_vehicles_relative_to_population_in_2015.png

OP, Nice, balanced review. And a very unique perspective. Thank you.

i too cannot get past how stodgy the Bolt looks. Probably because i kept the Leaf for too long.

But a worthy competitor nonetheless. And a mighty American one at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: cdub
1) They are not interchangeable whatsoever. If the kids are playing soccer, noting that there are baseballs in the shed isn't on topic.
2) California has 7.5 times more cars than Minnesota. And each car is 8.7 times more likely to be an EV. For every EV you see, we see 65.

View attachment 223789

I'm aware...yet that doesn't help me or anyone else in the Mid-West with the practicalities of driving the "long-distance" Bolt.

OP, Nice, balanced review. And a very unique perspective. Thank you.

i too cannot get past how stodgy the bolt looks. This coming from a 5+ yr Leaf driver.

But a worthy competitor nonetheless. And a mighty American one at that.

A Leaf owner saying a Bolt looks like arse. Wow. I suggest next time you drive, put down your cellphone and look at the cars around you and what designs they are. Those are the car designs folk are buying.

This car was slammed for being ugly when released:

255879.jpg

A few years later, the same writers claim it looks fine. The car design did not change.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jas and pjoseph
Sure it is. They both have a 'C' and an 'S' in their acronyms.

We are all optimistic that VW will breathe utility into the national CCS network but for now the network is concentrated in large urban areas where a 200+ mile EV has little use for it except as an excellent destination charger. As Jeff said, the Bolt can work as an extended extra-urban EV ... which places it at a tremendous disadvantage to the less expensive, go anywhere, Tesla Model 3.

This notion that the Bolt will sell because the Model 3 is not available will be tested by time but 400k reservations have taken up all the oxygen in the room for now and Tesla is planning to have 500k - 1M production output by 2019. Unless the Model 3 is a huge mis-step when it is released, I don't see the Bolt ever being more than a compliance car. We are talking here about GM after all, purveyor supreme of profitable gas guzzlers. They will produce enough icky EVs to sell gas guzzlers in the CARB states and call it a day.

Sure it is. They both have a 'C' and an 'S' in their acronyms.

We are all optimistic that VW will breathe utility into the national CCS network but for now the network is concentrated in large urban areas where a 200+ mile EV has little use for it except as an excellent destination charger. As Jeff said, the Bolt can work as an extended extra-urban EV ... which places it at a tremendous disadvantage to the less expensive, go anywhere, Tesla Model 3.

This notion that the Bolt will sell because the Model 3 is not available will be tested by time but 400k reservations have taken up all the oxygen in the room for now and Tesla is planning to have 500k - 1M production output by 2019. Unless the Model 3 is a huge mis-step when it is released, I don't see the Bolt ever being more than a compliance car. We are talking here about GM after all, purveyor supreme of profitable gas guzzlers. They will produce enough icky EVs to sell gas guzzlers in the CARB states and call it a day.

The California population is mostly based in the southern coastal regions. Today, we have a virtual city that extends from the Mexican border to Ventura, about 200 miles x 50 miles.

From an engineering perspective, the Bolt EV project is very pragmatic solution for an affordable EV. A huge percentage of DCFC cars are supported fully in this large region.

As far as the Model 3 sucking all the oxygen out the room? That room is currently the morgue, which does require much oxygen due to the inhabitants present.

As far as Mary Barra being on the grassy knoll trying to destroy America, I think Akio Toyoda is who you are after. Their stated plan is that gasoline cars are enough. They make the dirtiest lineup of gas guzzlers for sale in the US, but wash them down with gutless gasoline Priuses, but throw a handful of 'in name only' PHEVs to get extra credits, and try to siphon off EV Adoption monies by selling a very limited number (700 so far?) of local-only H2 cars which garner double the ZEV credits, and waste hundreds of millions in taxes for H2 fuel stations.

Still drive proudly both EVs (see my sig) and will likely get the Model 3 before you.

McRat is the right moniker for you. GFY.

3 out of 4 of our family members drive EVs every day. And I moved my laboratory to the centroid of where my staff lives, saving close to 50% gasoline used by their commuting. I offer them free EV charging and have 2 EV charger at work, but none of them has shown an interest.

I'm in California with a day one reservation. I have no idea when I'll be able to buy one. But neither do you either.

I'm married so I no longer have a need to GFM. But thanks for your concern about my prostate health.

You should get busy, there are still over 2400 more of my posts you need to Dislike, and I'm in the running for the #1 Dislike spot and honestly appreciate your assistance. Go git 'em Tiger! :D

I will definitely test drive a Bolt when I am next in a place where I can find one for sale. I'm puzzled by the "American" comment since everything that makes the car go is built by LG in Korea:
"...Manufacture of the battery, motor, and drive unit started in August 2016 at LG, Incheon, South Korea..."
LG gears up for new era in auto parts industry
GM assembles the Korean car in the US, and worked with LG on design but the Bolt is really Korean.

Even so I want to try one. I hope GM will one day be able to do this on their own, just as the more valuable small volume people do in the former GM Fremont, CA plant.