Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My request that the Arizona Attorney General's office investigate Tesla's changes to Ludicrous Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@GTIceman - ... It's weird how many people are reporting they have a V1 battery with summer of 2016 build dates. They started installing the V2 batteries in the beginning of 2016, from my recollection.
... He joined in August of 2016, and ordered in September. He should have a V3 battery. ...
Thanks @GTIceman . What is your build date?
August 2015 ...
Okay, that answers at least this one... @GTIceman should have a V1 battery, with his August 2015 build date. So he would not be part of the OP's fiasco, although definitely part of the V1 Battery Club that could never possibly achieve the advertised numbers, fiasco. o_O

Hi all,

I captured new data yesterday using 2017.32.6 ca28227 on my P90DL with the v2 battery (1071394-00-A). Unfortunately, Tm-spy didn't save anything, but I did have powertools running on my iPad and was able to capture that data.

Max battery was on and ready. I did two 0-60 runs without LM, then two 0-60 runs with LM.
SOC started at 99%, ended 97%.

Good news: there was no difference in peak kW between runs without LM and with LM.
Slightly less good news: best kW during 0-60 runs was 480 kW vs previous best of 488 kW. However, the car did seem to be fighting for traction from a start, which may have limited peak power. I did one rolling start from 30 MPH (without LM) at the end and was able to get 485 kW. So, it could just be traction limited or the fact that my pack has aged in the 10 months since I initially took this data.

You can see in the image below of kW vs MPH that power is mostly back to previous levels.

Last thing I did was make a spreadsheet to estimate 0-60 times from Powertools data:
Dropbox - RunLog 20170904 173920 - clean.xlsx

I fit one line to the first 4 moving data points and another line to the last 4 moving data points. I used 5.9 MPH as the 1 ft speed, taken from the Motortrend P100D article. I assumed the P90D would have similar initial acceleration to the P100D, since it is likely traction limited at that point. I'm also assuming the timestamps from Powertools are fairly accurate. Feel free to use the spreadsheet to do your own analysis.

Results:
It looks like the 0-60 times in the latest release are back to the times that the car was capable of in 2.44.130 before this started.
Without LM: 2.65 and 2.63 seconds
With LM: 2.59 and 2.59 seconds

But, my methods might be flawed since the orange run below with version 17.6.15 gives me a 0-60 time of 2.64 seconds. So, take my 0-60 times with a lot of salt.

Attachments

• software version comparison.PNG
    software version comparison.PNG
    38.8 KB · Views: 55
We'll find out if the owners will take responsibility for accelerated drivetrain and battery degradation.

I want a dollar for every future post that says "no one ever told me."
What does it mean to "take responsibility"? Tesla sold them a car with stated performance numbers and an unlimited mileage drive unit and battery warranty for 8 years. They should be able to do full drag launches daily and have drive unit failures covered under warranty. A used P90D is now one of the greatest bargains in muscle car history - if not ever.

What does it mean to "take responsibility"? Tesla sold them a car with stated performance numbers and an unlimited mileage drive unit and battery warranty for 8 years. They should be able to do full drag launches daily and have drive unit failures covered under warranty. A used P90D is now one of the greatest bargains in muscle car history - if not ever.
Doesn't Tesla exclude commercial operation from the warranty ? If commercial falls outside the realm of warranty, I accept that daily drag-stripping does too.

Thanks for the dollar. NEXT UP

Last edited:
So you think it's OK for a company to sell a vehicle with a certain performance level, then remove it without compensation after the sale?
I think race cars do not come with warranties.

Tesla tried to mitigate the effect on drivetrain and battery by owners who were using Ludi mode frequently. Those owners objected.
Fine, but then those owners have to accept the consequences of their racing ways

I think race cars do not come with warranties.
Indeed they don't. Tesla doesn't make race cars.

Tesla tried to mitigate the effect on drivetrain and battery by owners who were using Ludi mode frequently. Those owners objected.

At the time of sale Tesla never specified the number of times Ludi could be used before power would be permanently reduced. Do you see the problem yet? How many people do you think would have paid the extra money for a feature they could only use a few times?

Reactions: brianman
They also didn't specify how much off-roading, or driving on the beach could be done before the car's drivetrain life was shortened.

I notice that you are trying to frame the argument in terms of a 'few times' which is most certainly not the case.

Checked my power again today, maybe for the last time. I never really planned on seeing how fast it could go more than one time, but with everything that has happened, I kept having to go back and see what had been changed.

Terrible weather for racing tonight. Blowing dust and a headwind of about 35 miles an hour, maybe a little worse at times. Left when thunderstorms were within 5 miles of the track.
Times are better than in June, but not as good as last October. Consistent 11.09 to 11.1's at 118 to 122 MPH. They had to stop and clean the dust off the track and wind was certainly a factor. I think my car has most if not all the power back.

Glad this is settled, at least for me. I know some others are still very angry over this.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Heh
Doesn't Tesla exclude commercial operation from the warranty ? If commercial falls outside the realm of warranty, I accept that daily drag-stripping does too.

Thanks for the dollar. NEXT UP
Heh. I never thought of the business possibilities of drag racing your Tesla. But seriously - I don't think they do exclude commercial operations - do they? Otherwise Tesloop would be paying for replacement batteries and driveunits and I do not think they have. I might be wrong.