Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My review of new 70D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my new 70D (limited 75 kwh battery; lease) on July 18. Hopefully one or two people find this helpful, although I think most people who want a Tesla pretty much have their minds made up.

The delivery experience -- Was fine. I went to the Dedham, MA, location and was surprised to be the only person in there (along with my brother). When someone came to the front of the store, it took about 30 minutes for my car to be prepped, which was fine. After that my brother and I sat in the car playing around with things and someone would poke their head in to see if we had any questions. The reality is you are going to learn (retain information) about the car by sitting in it on your own and exploring and actually living with it. It is all personal preference, but I really enjoyed being left alone, for the most part, trying to learn about the car and ask questions only when needed. I know I could have asked to be totally walked through the car if I wanted -- I'm glad I had the option.

Fit, finish, interior, exterior -- For my car are close to perfect. There is one bit of plastic on the back, lower, left side of the driver's seat that is not as flush as it could be with the seat. It is acceptable to me, but you do need to look over the car on delivery and point out anything unacceptable to you (I never thought of doing this with my previous cars). The interior is impressively clean and minimal, which I love. I chose next gen grey seats, black alcantara headliner, pano roof, and carbon fiber trim. If you are unsure of what exterior paint and interior combination you want, you need to see the exterior/interior combination you want in person to truly know what you like. The photos online, and even the samples in the stores, do not reflect a finished car. The touch screen does get finger prints on it quickly, but I am sure there are numerous screen protectors for this.

My two wishes would be that I could lower the driver and front passenger seats more to the ground. I am only 6'1 and feel like I am sitting too high up (sometimes). Secondly, I'd love to have the nav map showing in the dashboard display even when I do not have a destination plugged into the nav.

Driving the car -- Is outstanding. The two most impressive features of the car, in terms of driving, are 1) the complete lack of body roll combined with how comfortable the car is on the road, and 2) driving with one pedal. Most cars now have a few different driving modes, and usually if you want a soft suspension and more comfort traveling down the road then you have to select "comfort" and then deal with body roll and delayed acceleration... and that is fine mostly unless you suddenly get the urge that you want to enjoy a little bit of speed or enjoy a corner or need to get into traffic quickly. I cannot get over how tight the car feels without sacrificing any comfort on bumpy roads or when taking the car through the corners. I have the standard coil suspension and 19s.

Most people should already appreciate this or at least have some concept of it, but instant acceleration greatly improves the driving experience. When you want to accelerate, you accelerate. The second gained by not waiting for the car to downshift and go through the rev range is awesome for daily driving. If I were on a track, I'd want a manual transmission and to hear the engine and the revs build, but that is not where any of us spend the majority of our time. Tesla has made the perfect car for daily driving (short or long drives) in terms of comfort and usability/practicality (so much room and trunk space!), while blending performance aspects that are absolutely usable (yet still comfortable) in the real world.

The 60 or 75 kwh battery (D or not) are both fast enough for everyone reading this forum. Make your decision based on range and/or driving condition needs (RWD or AWD) only. The real world acceleration is more than you'll ever need for merging into traffic or passing a car or just a bit of excitement. If you want to drive fast, as in speed and treat public roads as your own personal track, then I can't help you because your brain cells just aren't there or your ego is in the way. I took both my BMWs as well as my sport bikes (GSX-R750 and 848 EVO) to the track when I wanted to do that stuff -- where speeding is both legal, safe, and you become a better driver/rider -- public roads aren't your track. I'm not saying don't get a P90 if that is what you want and can afford (I'd have the 90D for max range if I could), but am just trying to help anyone focused on battery size for the wrong reason...

Battery and range -- I have not used a supercharger yet because I haven't taken a long trip. My daily driving can be from 20 miles a day to 60 miles a day. I plug into a NEMA 10-30 outlet using a discontinued Tesla adapter and get 16-19 miles of range per hour. I am going to Vermont (225 miles) towards the end of the month and am looking forward to how that experience goes/feels (using one of the NH superchargers). My one piece of advice (entirely subjective, just like the rest of this post) is to always charge your car to 90% if for no other reason than if there is an emergency, the more range you have the more options you have. There is no reason not to always leave yourself with a "full tank." This is my mindset, and I hope there never is an emergency where this mindset helps me, but I'd rather be prepared. No, you don't do this with gas powered cars because going to the gas station takes 5 minutes. I will say I absolutely (and almost weirdly) love charging my car and not having to go to a gas station. I never forget to plug in, but this may be because I am 27 and used to plugging everything in.

Autopilot -- Shut down any thoughts you have about this car driving you flawlessly down the road. Ok... that may not be entirely accurate. You need to consider the roads you drive on. Before you spend the $3,000 (or is it $2,500 before delivery... I don't remember), consider where you live and where you drive. Autopilot needs perfect roads if you want to be able to relax at all, period. Otherwise it is just a neat feature to use while still being on high alert. I am north of Boston, our roads are not perfect and in no way picturesque. Half of my commute is windy through town, the other half is on a road where autopilot is far too all over the road to be enjoyable (this road is single lane, wide, and decently marked). I am so glad I did not pay for autopilot and instead have been using the 30 day free trial, because it is clearly not usable or worth the cost for me and where I live. The traffic aware cruise control is a wonderful feature that I wish I could have on its own. If money were no object to me, I would happily pay for autopilot simply for the TACC feature.

Comments/complaints/quirks -- HVAC... The A/C is plenty strong. I have seen a few posts about this. We have had 90 degree days and the car is more than fine. Can't wait to try the cold weather package when winter is here. I take advantage of turning the AC on before I get to the car when I know it has been baking in the sun, but again this is really something I am used to doing in a sense because of my age and it just feels totally normal to me.

The pano roof and upgraded speakers are absolute musts if you are on the fence about them. If you don't want them, then you don't want them, but if you are on the fence... absolutely go for it. The pano roof (in any car) makes the interior feel much more open, and the sunroof is one of the coolest I have ever seen. If you enjoy listening to music even in the slightest, there is nothing like a good sound system. I use +3 (bass), 0 (mid), -3 (treble) for equalizer settings and couldn't be happier with having upgraded.

19 inch wheels... this was a tough one for me. I told myself I'd never get base wheels again because the wheels make such a big difference in how the car looks (if you care). I was worried I'd be taking a $90,000 car and making it look... not so nice. I made this mistake with my first BMW. Again, go see in person (I didn't do this), but the 19 inch wheels do not in anyway (for me) take away from the look of the car. They do not look small or out of place or cheap or anything like that. Again, if money were no object for me, I'd have gotten 21s (not sure how this would have changed ride quality though). I really was worried I'd be disappointed in the 19s and I absolutely am not.

Overall -- The best overall car I've ever driven in terms of a car that you can live with and use daily. You really get 100% out of every feature this car has, from the tech, to the battery, to how it drives, really nothing goes to waste. Add onto that the fact that you're supporting the (hopefully) shift to EV (which is absolutely worth something). You truly do get what you pay for.

Neat review ..:)..Enjoy your car..I am driving a 90D with auto pilot and I am glad that I did not swap to get newer vehicle with autopilot...roads are curvy and up and down and autopilot is finding it difficult to recognize the road markers.o_O

But who cares car is a fantastic car even without auto pilot..;)

Obviously you will not use AP driving around town much, but just wait until you leave the city before deciding AP isn't a must-have feature. Highway driving is a dream on AP and worth every penny. I highly recommend taking a road trip while the free trial is still on to see how good it really is. I also live in a big city and find the autopark and summon features of AP to be invaluable as well. I use summon every day to get in/out of tight spaces. Either way, enjoy the car, congrats!

Fantastic review for someone expecting their S60 in about a week or so and you hit on all the points I was wavering about and my decision making process when building mine.

Very realistic and real world type review which I always enjoy reading that isn't too high, or too low from some of things we see here.

Thanks for typing that up.

Reactions: Austin Powers
Good review but disagree with your autopilot assessment. It certainly can be dependent on road conditions - but it is awesome and changes everything. You should always be on high alert while driving with or without autopilot.

Last edited:
re: screen protectors... I find using a (dry) microfiber cleaning cloth for the screen works great, just wipe. Fingerprints wipe right off, even if they're kind of greasy... I don't know why those clothes work so well. And have you found the screen cleaning mode yet?

The points I was trying to make about autopilot were, a) before getting hyped about it and checking the option off when you order, consider your real world driving, and b), you can't take your eyes off the road, period. I'm new to Tesla and have not had my car that long, so in anticipation of leasing one and all through the production pahse, my idea of what autopilot was going to be like was not even close to reality.

I am down in Florida currently and, after having experienced autopilot, I know that it would be amazing down here. I also know that on my drive to Vermont it is going to be amazing as well. As someone who had to be selective in some options when ordering, I am glad I did not choose autopilot, but was very close to choosing it simply because of the idea I had of it in my head.

re: screen protectors... I find using a (dry) microfiber cleaning cloth for the screen works great, just wipe. Fingerprints wipe right off, even if they're kind of greasy... I don't know why those clothes work so well. And have you found the screen cleaning mode yet?

Completely agree -- I keep a microfiber cloth in my glove box and it works great. I should have made that suggestion in my review for people who may (like me) enjoy keeping the screen fairly screen.

Obviously you will not use AP driving around town much, but just wait until you leave the city before deciding AP isn't a must-have feature. Highway driving is a dream on AP and worth every penny. I highly recommend taking a road trip while the free trial is still on to see how good it really is. I also live in a big city and find the autopark and summon features of AP to be invaluable as well. I use summon every day to get in/out of tight spaces. Either way, enjoy the car, congrats!

Great points about summon and auto park (I don't use those features). Those features along with TACC would probably make AP worth it to some people even if their real world autopilot scenario was similar to mine -- which is something I did not consider in my review.

I thought about Summon for tight parking spaces, but I'm worried that if the source is tight enough for me to want to use it, the folks in the cars to either side are likely to smash their doors into my fancy new Tesla as they try to get in/out.

If you use it every day, are you experiencing problems like that?

I got my new 70D (limited 75 kwh battery; lease) on July 18. Hopefully one or two people find this helpful, although I think most people who want a Tesla pretty much have their minds made up.

The delivery experience -- Was fine. I went to the Dedham, MA, location and was surprised to be the only person in there (along with my brother). When someone came to the front of the store, it took about 30 minutes for my car to be prepped, which was fine. After that my brother and I sat in the car playing around with things and someone would poke their head in to see if we had any questions. The reality is you are going to learn (retain information) about the car by sitting in it on your own and exploring and actually living with it. It is all personal preference, but I really enjoyed being left alone, for the most part, trying to learn about the car and ask questions only when needed. I know I could have asked to be totally walked through the car if I wanted -- I'm glad I had the option.

Very good write-up. I agree with you on the delivery. I would much rather play with the cars features myself w/o being walked through it all. Each time I have done this on a new car I have not really learned anything I could not have gotten myself, and I am a somewhat impatient person :)

I thought about Summon for tight parking spaces, but I'm worried that if the source is tight enough for me to want to use it, the folks in the cars to either side are likely to smash their doors into my fancy new Tesla as they try to get in/out.

If you use it every day, are you experiencing problems like that?
I have 2 kids in car seats, so getting more room by pulling out the car via summon is a life saver. No issues with parking so close a normal person can't get out of their car and damage mine, it's more convenience for dealing with car seats.

On the other hand, when some ahole parks 12 inches from your door after you already parked, it's nice to pull it out via summon rather than contort yourself into your car while trying not to damage theirs. Also, quick access to stuff around the car in the garage and moving it via summon is great. Or "oops, didn't pull in far enough while parking." Boom, summon, easy fix. I know many think summon is a gimmick but I have found tons of legit uses.

Reactions: Saghost

Fit, finish, interior, exterior -- For my car are close to perfect. There is one bit of plastic on the back, lower, left side of the driver's seat that is not as flush as it could be with the seat. It is acceptable to me, but you do need to look over the car on delivery and point out anything unacceptable to you (I never thought of doing this with my previous cars). The interior is impressively clean and minimal, which I love. I chose next gen grey seats, black alcantara headliner, pano roof, and carbon fiber trim. If you are unsure of what exterior paint and interior combination you want, you need to see the exterior/interior combination you want in person to truly know what you like. The photos online, and even the samples in the stores, do not reflect a finished car. The touch screen does get finger prints on it quickly, but I am sure there are numerous screen protectors for this.

My two wishes would be that I could lower the driver and front passenger seats more to the ground. I am only 6'1 and feel like I am sitting too high up (sometimes). Secondly, I'd love to have the nav map showing in the dashboard display even when I do not have a destination plugged into the nav.

Driving the car -- Is outstanding. The two most impressive features of the car, in terms of driving, are 1) the complete lack of body roll combined with how comfortable the car is on the road, and 2) driving with one pedal. Most cars now have a few different driving modes, and usually if you want a soft suspension and more comfort traveling down the road then you have to select "comfort" and then deal with body roll and delayed acceleration... and that is fine mostly unless you suddenly get the urge that you want to enjoy a little bit of speed or enjoy a corner or need to get into traffic quickly. I cannot get over how tight the car feels without sacrificing any comfort on bumpy roads or when taking the car through the corners. I have the standard coil suspension and 19s.

Most people should already appreciate this or at least have some concept of it, but instant acceleration greatly improves the driving experience. When you want to accelerate, you accelerate. The second gained by not waiting for the car to downshift and go through the rev range is awesome for daily driving. If I were on a track, I'd want a manual transmission and to hear the engine and the revs build, but that is not where any of us spend the majority of our time. Tesla has made the perfect car for daily driving (short or long drives) in terms of comfort and usability/practicality (so much room and trunk space!), while blending performance aspects that are absolutely usable (yet still comfortable) in the real world.

The 60 or 75 kwh battery (D or not) are both fast enough for everyone reading this forum. Make your decision based on range and/or driving condition needs (RWD or AWD) only. The real world acceleration is more than you'll ever need for merging into traffic or passing a car or just a bit of excitement. If you want to drive fast, as in speed and treat public roads as your own personal track, then I can't help you because your brain cells just aren't there or your ego is in the way. I took both my BMWs as well as my sport bikes (GSX-R750 and 848 EVO) to the track when I wanted to do that stuff -- where speeding is both legal, safe, and you become a better driver/rider -- public roads aren't your track. I'm not saying don't get a P90 if that is what you want and can afford (I'd have the 90D for max range if I could), but am just trying to help anyone focused on battery size for the wrong reason...

Battery and range -- I have not used a supercharger yet because I haven't taken a long trip. My daily driving can be from 20 miles a day to 60 miles a day. I plug into a NEMA 10-30 outlet using a discontinued Tesla adapter and get 16-19 miles of range per hour. I am going to Vermont (225 miles) towards the end of the month and am looking forward to how that experience goes/feels (using one of the NH superchargers). My one piece of advice (entirely subjective, just like the rest of this post) is to always charge your car to 90% if for no other reason than if there is an emergency, the more range you have the more options you have. There is no reason not to always leave yourself with a "full tank." This is my mindset, and I hope there never is an emergency where this mindset helps me, but I'd rather be prepared. No, you don't do this with gas powered cars because going to the gas station takes 5 minutes. I will say I absolutely (and almost weirdly) love charging my car and not having to go to a gas station. I never forget to plug in, but this may be because I am 27 and used to plugging everything in.

Autopilot -- Shut down any thoughts you have about this car driving you flawlessly down the road. Ok... that may not be entirely accurate. You need to consider the roads you drive on. Before you spend the $3,000 (or is it $2,500 before delivery... I don't remember), consider where you live and where you drive. Autopilot needs perfect roads if you want to be able to relax at all, period. Otherwise it is just a neat feature to use while still being on high alert. I am north of Boston, our roads are not perfect and in no way picturesque. Half of my commute is windy through town, the other half is on a road where autopilot is far too all over the road to be enjoyable (this road is single lane, wide, and decently marked). I am so glad I did not pay for autopilot and instead have been using the 30 day free trial, because it is clearly not usable or worth the cost for me and where I live. The traffic aware cruise control is a wonderful feature that I wish I could have on its own. If money were no object to me, I would happily pay for autopilot simply for the TACC feature.

Comments/complaints/quirks -- HVAC... The A/C is plenty strong. I have seen a few posts about this. We have had 90 degree days and the car is more than fine. Can't wait to try the cold weather package when winter is here. I take advantage of turning the AC on before I get to the car when I know it has been baking in the sun, but again this is really something I am used to doing in a sense because of my age and it just feels totally normal to me.

The pano roof and upgraded speakers are absolute musts if you are on the fence about them. If you don't want them, then you don't want them, but if you are on the fence... absolutely go for it. The pano roof (in any car) makes the interior feel much more open, and the sunroof is one of the coolest I have ever seen. If you enjoy listening to music even in the slightest, there is nothing like a good sound system. I use +3 (bass), 0 (mid), -3 (treble) for equalizer settings and couldn't be happier with having upgraded.

19 inch wheels... this was a tough one for me. I told myself I'd never get base wheels again because the wheels make such a big difference in how the car looks (if you care). I was worried I'd be taking a $90,000 car and making it look... not so nice. I made this mistake with my first BMW. Again, go see in person (I didn't do this), but the 19 inch wheels do not in anyway (for me) take away from the look of the car. They do not look small or out of place or cheap or anything like that. Again, if money were no object for me, I'd have gotten 21s (not sure how this would have changed ride quality though). I really was worried I'd be disappointed in the 19s and I absolutely am not.

Overall -- The best overall car I've ever driven in terms of a car that you can live with and use daily. You really get 100% out of every feature this car has, from the tech, to the battery, to how it drives, really nothing goes to waste. Add onto that the fact that you're supporting the (hopefully) shift to EV (which is absolutely worth something). You truly do get what you pay for.
I took Delievery of my Model S75 on June 2nd (my 27th birthday). Just wanted to say how bad ass it is that you purchased this car at 27 years of age! That is all I have to say, enjoy your car as I enjoy mine!
IMG_2104.jpg

Awesome first post and congrats on your order!

I will have to disagree with your comments regarding AP. The car is not level 3 or 4 autonomous yet, but it is VERY useful as it currently stands. As others have stated above, AP works best on the highway and in bumper to bumper traffic. I also use AP when I am slowing down for a stoplight and there is someone ahead of me stopped at the light--I just let AP slow down, stop and keep me in the lane. Just this small assistance allows me to relax and enjoy my surroundings while I'm "supervising" my car. I also use AP when I am already stopped at a stoplight with someone in front of me, so I let the car accelerate when the light turns green. This tiny assistance allows me to relax and decreases stress level more than you would think.

Basically, there are little uses for AP besides the highway driving/bumper to bumper traffic that will make your life so much better. :)

• Informative
Reactions: Chopr147
Awesome first post and congrats on your order!

I also use AP when I am slowing down for a stoplight and there is someone ahead of me stopped at the light--I just let AP slow down, stop and keep me in the lane.
Basically, there are little uses for AP besides the highway driving/bumper to bumper traffic that will make your life so much better. :)

I find that AP and the smart speed control are not that great when a car is already stopped at a red light while I am traveling the speed limit. In that case, my S70 will wait too long to begin decelerating (even on max distance setting) and must use the brake in addition to regenerative braking in order to stop in time. If I am traveling at, say, 45 mph and a car is stopped at a red light, I disconnect the AP or smart cruise in time to permit the regenerative braking to decelerate to about 5 mph, then use the brake to come to a complete stop. That said, I make good use of both, and find long drives especially relaxing when I am using them. I keep both hands on the steering wheel at all times and am just as vigilant as I would be if I were in full control, but it is so much easier to not need to provide continuous steering and brake inputs to stay in lane and keep proper distance.

Thx, great article, v well presented.

Know exactly what you mean about body roll. On the test drive (model 70/75 I think, not the D version), took a 90 degree turn left, fast and expected a dip, braced for it in the seat like we all do and.... nothing. Just flat cornering.

Ditto on remembering to plug in. I have a Volt. Never... ever... have forgotten to charge it every night. Even if technically I did, I wouldn't be in a world of hurt with the gas (yuck) backup.

There are two problems (& easy solutions with EVs). The first is some of those friends who bring up all sorts of objections to an EV (range, don't want to plug in, expensive, etc). Solution: 'Right, man. Just drive it......'
Second seems to be that you'll now find a non EV a strange, horribly loud, and slow (reaction acceleration) car that's inefficient (what? no regen? No one pedal driving? Huh?). Congrats, you've been converted.... and spoiled.... :)

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Thx, great article, v well presented.

Know exactly what you mean about body roll. On the test drive (model 70/75 I think, not the D version), took a 90 degree turn left, fast and expected a dip, braced for it in the seat like we all do and.... nothing. Just flat cornering.

Ditto on remembering to plug in. I have a Volt. Never... ever... have forgotten to charge it every night. Even if technically I did, I wouldn't be in a world of hurt with the gas (yuck) backup.

There are two problems (& easy solutions with EVs). The first is some of those friends who bring up all sorts of objections to an EV (range, don't want to plug in, expensive, etc). Solution: 'Right, man. Just drive it......'
Second seems to be that you'll now find a non EV a strange, horribly loud, and slow (reaction acceleration) car that's inefficient (what? no regen? No one pedal driving? Huh?). Congrats, you've been converted.... and spoiled.... :)
Man, this car holds the turns like a Porsche. And it's a "family sedan" :)
I live only 8 miles from work and figured I would charge once a week. But reading this forum and Tesla webpage it seems better to just plug it in every night whether or not the mileage is needed. I have 2 weeks or so to ponder the merits of plug-in/ don't plug-in :) The closer delivery gets the slower the days are going