Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen any information about road / cabin noise in the Y, especially compared to the 3?

One of the very few complaints I have about my 3 (AWD, 19") is that the road noise, especially at highway speed, is higher than I'd like it to be. Maybe I got lucky but I don't have a problem with wind noise.

I've got a Y on order (day 1 reservation, but white interior, performance) and really love those Uberturbine rims, but really would like to see how noise compares to the Gemini wheels. I'm sure it will be louder, but noticably? And overall if it's quieter than my 3 might not matter.

Reactions: tander
Has anyone seen any information about road / cabin noise in the Y, especially compared to the 3?

One of the very few complaints I have about my 3 (AWD, 19") is that the road noise, especially at highway speed, is higher than I'd like it to be. Maybe I got lucky but I don't have a problem with wind noise.

I've got a Y on order (day 1 reservation, but white interior, performance) and really love those Uberturbine rims, but really would like to see how noise compares to the Gemini wheels. I'm sure it will be louder, but noticably? And overall if it's quieter than my 3 might not matter.
I read somewhere that there is less noise in the MY due to driver feedback about the M3 noise. I vaguely remember something about additional insulation of some sort!? So sorry about the haziness...I consume so much text about this vehicle!!!

On the way back from getting my Y, I took to interstate for about 10 miles. The interior noise was higher than I expected and worse than anything I've driven in awhile. That partially could be that our BMW that we took to get it is very quiet, even with 21" performance tires. It however is probably not loud enough to be a deal breaker as I quickly adjust. The more concerning part is the creaks and rattles that are very present. Anyone coming from a luxury car should not expect the same fit, finish and sound insulation that they may have been used to.

On the way back from getting my Y, I took to interstate for about 10 miles. The interior noise was higher than I expected and worse than anything I've driven in awhile. That partially could be that our BMW that we took to get it is very quiet, even with 21" performance tires. It however is probably not loud enough to be a deal breaker as I quickly adjust. The more concerning part is the creaks and rattles that are very present. Anyone coming from a luxury car should not expect the same fit, finish and sound insulation that they may have been used to.
I’d be coming from a 4-year old Porsche Macan- practically no rattles and pretty quiet on the road. Disappointing to hear about your experience, as a lower-to mid priced Macan is about the same price as a performance level model Y.

Uhhhhh, this is great to hear... Last three cars have been fully loaded Volvo’s, two of which were the new SPA Volvo’s that were very quiet.

I wonder if Dynamat behind the door cards would help any? I Dynamat’ed my XC60 because I did have some rattles due to the AWESOME Bowers & Wilkins sound system, that fixed the issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Linksys
I am about to get rid of a 2013 MB SL 550 for the Y as i want the gadgets and electric. now I’m thinking the gadget aspect will be cool for a bit and then the creeks and road noise will make me want my other car back...

In reading this it sounds like going from a luxury car to this will let us down after the new/cool aspect is over...

I am about to get rid of a 2013 MB SL 550 for the Y as i want the gadgets and electric. now I’m thinking the gadget aspect will be cool for a bit and then the creeks and road noise will make me want my other car back...

In reading this it sounds like going from a luxury car to this will let us down after the new/cool aspect is over...
I have the same concerns coming from a very quiet Lexus LS. From the few reports so far the MY will definitely not be as quiet. The question is will it be at a tolerable level that I can get used to.

Reactions: tander
I dont care about road noise but I hate creaks and rattles. Hopefully due to a misaligned rear hatch or something like that in this case, and not a widespread issue. No one else has mentioned it. I've seen more than one thread where the owner has said it's plenty quiet.

I dont care about road noise but I hate creaks and rattles. Hopefully due to a misaligned rear hatch or something like that in this case, and not a widespread issue. No one else has mentioned it. I've seen more than one thread where the owner has said it's plenty quiet.

I need more time to isolate where it's come from. With how things are right now, we are stuck at home and have may driven 30 miles total.

• Informative
Reactions: KRG21
In total agreement. I’m not OCD except when it comes to that...lol. I become crazed! And no, turning up the radio is not a fix!

Got my PY today vin 14xx and tire noise is def present compared to my 43xx vin Model 3 with 19’s. That’s primarily due to the Pirelli Pzeros, my mother had them on a Mercedes and we hated them. No creeks or rattles and much much less wind noise compared to my 3 comparable to current 3 vins. My girl loves it! Def like the stance of the PY.

61FDB82C-EE4E-4608-981D-9AFD175E9F20.jpeg

Got my PY today vin 14xx and tire noise is def present compared to my 43xx vin Model 3 with 19’s. That’s primarily due to the Pirelli Pzeros, my mother had them on a Mercedes and we hated them. No creeks or rattles and much much less wind noise compared to my 3 comparable to current 3 vins. My girl loves it! Def like the stance of the PY.

View attachment 524205

Such a pretty car. Cingrats.

Reactions: BM3LRPUP19

View attachment 524205

Congrats on the new ride! Do you mean that the noise is comparable to the 2020 Model 3s, which are much better than the earlier Model 3, or that the MY is much quieter than even the 2020 Model 3?

I have a LR AWD on order (deferred until next quarter). I rented one on Turo for a few days, so I know what I'm getting into but the wind noise on the 2019 Model 3 was definitely noticeable. I accepted that trade off given all the other awesome things about the car, but if the Y is really that much quieter I might have to reconsider!

• Informative
Reactions: Ralbright