Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY road noise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s good feedback. I will get an estimate tomorrow how much it would cost to do that. I would hate to pay a couple grand to get that done and not have it do anything!
Honestly, It’s quarantine and I was looking for a project. Noises/rattles really bother me and I figured that sound deadening would at least make it feel more solid. Unfortunately, I really don’t notice any difference. It was fun to see what’s behind the surface because I’m a tinkerer and like that stuff but the labor is extensive and most of the cost will be from that and not the materials themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: MY-Y
Hello all, just wanted to chime in with my experience. Picked up the car 2 days ago and i barely have 60 miles on it for now (VIN 30xxx - LR - MSM). Wind noise is non existent IMO however I do have this rotating drum noise coming from the driver side. Its decently audible under 40 MPH and noexsistent/blended out with other road noise going 40+.

I put an service appointment in to see whats up. Cant tell if its a misalignment, over inflated tire or just the car breaking in. I have a 120 mile trip this weekend - hoping it allievates itself soon.

Hello all, just wanted to chime in with my experience. Picked up the car 2 days ago and i barely have 60 miles on it for now (VIN 30xxx - LR - MSM). Wind noise is non existent IMO however I do have this rotating drum noise coming from the driver side. Its decently audible under 40 MPH and noexsistent/blended out with other road noise going 40+.

I put an service appointment in to see whats up. Cant tell if its a misalignment, over inflated tire or just the car breaking in. I have a 120 mile trip this weekend - hoping it allievates itself soon.

I had that same noise at low speeds during the first week of having the car. Seemed to resolve itself by the time I brought the car in for a service appointment and haven't heard it since. But if you find anything more concrete please let me know.

I had that same noise at low speeds during the first week of having the car. Seemed to resolve itself by the time I brought the car in for a service appointment and haven't heard it since. But if you find anything more concrete please let me know.

So updated on my noise situation. Funny enough I am on the interstate and I get a low tire pressure warning and the PSI keeps dropping in the driverside back tire. Towed to the nearest SC center (Springfield NJ) for a new tire at 10 PM. The next day (Thursday) I get a text from the service center with a photo of the tire and the tire has to be replaced.

Mind you, coincidentally I also had appointment set up the very next day (Friday) for the noise issue. I asked the Springfield tech to conduct a "visual inspection" and see if anything is off once the car is lifted. They informed nothing is wrong and the test drove the car with no noise. So 300 bucks later with a new tire and noise is completely gone... go figure? I still have sub 300 miles on the car so I really need to break it in.

In completely other anecdotal evidence, I was watching this video on youtube and the author also commented the following (
)

"so this might sound crazy, and it would be unrelated to why you got a flat, but I have seen people with these mysterious sounds coming from the hub caps on the Gemini wheels. Seems like a noise that goes away after about 500 miles. Something likely to do with the plastic stressing until it conforms. Anyways, congrats on the ride, and I too have had to replace a tire so I feel your pain!"

Honestly at this point who knows. We have a 1000 mile road trip coming up this weekend. We will see how the car does.

So updated on my noise situation. Funny enough I am on the interstate and I get a low tire pressure warning and the PSI keeps dropping in the driverside back tire. Towed to the nearest SC center (Springfield NJ) for a new tire at 10 PM. The next day (Thursday) I get a text from the service center with a photo of the tire and the tire has to be replaced.

Mind you, coincidentally I also had appointment set up the very next day (Friday) for the noise issue. I asked the Springfield tech to conduct a "visual inspection" and see if anything is off once the car is lifted. They informed nothing is wrong and the test drove the car with no noise. So 300 bucks later with a new tire and noise is completely gone... go figure? I still have sub 300 miles on the car so I really need to break it in.

In completely other anecdotal evidence, I was watching this video on youtube and the author also commented the following (
)

"so this might sound crazy, and it would be unrelated to why you got a flat, but I have seen people with these mysterious sounds coming from the hub caps on the Gemini wheels. Seems like a noise that goes away after about 500 miles. Something likely to do with the plastic stressing until it conforms. Anyways, congrats on the ride, and I too have had to replace a tire so I feel your pain!"

Honestly at this point who knows. We have a 1000 mile road trip coming up this weekend. We will see how the car does.

I know this is an old thread but figured I'd throw in that my Y took a few hundred miles for the hubcaps to stop squeaking

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Now at 1400 miles. Road "rumbling" (low-frequency), seems to be less. Maybe I'm slowly going deaf, OR...the ContiProContact tires have broken in? I'll never know...
My car is totally rattle/squeak free. Wind noise seems "normal", up to 90mph.
Road harshness (uneven concrete slabs/coarse concrete) can still be VERY LOUD, but I'm thinking it's the tires.
I'm looking forward to installing Unplugged Performance Comfort progressive rate springs as soon as they are available. The harshness of the OEM non-Performance suspension just isn't acceptable in the DFW region.

Now at 1400 miles. Road "rumbling" (low-frequency), seems to be less. Maybe I'm slowly going deaf, OR...the ContiProContact tires have broken in? I'll never know...
My car is totally rattle/squeak free. Wind noise seems "normal", up to 90mph.
Road harshness (uneven concrete slabs/coarse concrete) can still be VERY LOUD, but I'm thinking it's the tires.
I'm looking forward to installing Unplugged Performance Comfort progressive rate springs as soon as they are available. The harshness of the OEM non-Performance suspension just isn't acceptable in the DFW region.
I just wanted to let you know I did change my tires to the Vredestein Quatrac pros some people on the farm had recommended him as a much quieter tire. They do not do anything for rough pavement or very little. However on smoother pavement on the freeway I think they are a bit quieter. Point is they don’t transform the car or anything like that in my experience, although another poster says they did for him. I don’t regret getting them as I think they are a little bit quieter but it is a minor thing not a major thing. I may look into suspension upgrades like UPP or MPP but I am waiting for more reviews to be sure. The latest feedback in the forums talk about smoothing out the road but not really addressing the noise issue from rough pavement so we will see.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy