Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My S won't charge since the software update last night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night 11/14/16 my car received a software update. Since that update, the car now says there is a fault with the charger or cord when I plug in to any charger (I've tried 2). Specifically it cycles the voltage up, shows 220V live, but then cycles back to 0V, back up to 220V, and back to 0V, then it presents the error that it cannot charge.

Anyone else seen this?

Dave

Various random problems have occurred rarely with updates. This is why I always recommend to hold off on applying updates until you get home or you're somewhere else where you wouldn't mind getting stuck (sounds like your update practice is consistent with that).

Try a hard power off of the whole car. Then back on again.

Also, try a supercharger if you have one within reasonable distance and enough juice in the pack to get there and back without a charge.

Supercharger bypasses on-board AC/DC charger(s) and goes direct DC2DC.

Also, try dialing down your amperage at your charging location. To something very low. If you have dual on-board chargers, dial down below 40A.

Also, try the mobile charger if you're using HPWC, and try changing heads on the mobile charger from 14-50 to the regular 120V outlet style.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Last night 11/14/16 my car received a software update. Since that update, the car now says there is a fault with the charger or cord when I plug in to any charger (I've tried 2). Specifically it cycles the voltage up, shows 220V live, but then cycles back to 0V, back up to 220V, and back to 0V, then it presents the error that it cannot charge.

Anyone else seen this?

Dave
Those are the symptoms of a failing charger. If you search this site you will see others (myself included) have had this problem - typically around the 70k mile mark.

If you cannot charge at home, public j1772, etc... try a supercharger (which bypasses the onboard charger). If that works, it is likely your charger has failed.

Those are the symptoms of a failing charger. If you search this site you will see others (myself included) have had this problem - typically around the 70k mile mark.

If you cannot charge at home, public j1772, etc... try a supercharger (which bypasses the onboard charger). If that works, it is likely your charger has failed.

Yikes, so is that covered under the battery/powertrain (8yr/unlimited) or the standard 4yr/50k warranty?