Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla shows car in production. No email received. Timing for delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just checked "My Tesla" page and it says "Your Tesla is currently in production". And the expected delivery timeframe is late February-March. However, I got no e-mail notification when the car went into production (I did get one when the VIN was assigned). Based on your experience, can you guys tell how long it will stay in production? I have no idea when it actually went into production as I got no e-mail. Assuming it will take a week to produce, is it safe to say that the care will be sent out for delivery on a train (or truck?) in 2 weeks? So I could potentially have it with me by end of this month itself? I e-mailed my DS a few days back but received an out off office so I probably won't hear back till early next week.

So I just checked "My Tesla" page and it says "Your Tesla is currently in production". And the expected delivery timeframe is late February-March. However, I got no e-mail notification when the car went into production (I did get one when the VIN was assigned). Based on your experience, can you guys tell how long it will stay in production? I have no idea when it actually went into production as I got no e-mail. Assuming it will take a week to produce, is it safe to say that the care will be sent out for delivery on a train (or truck?) in 2 weeks? So I could potentially have it with me by end of this month itself? I e-mailed my DS a few days back but received an out off office so I probably won't hear back till early next week.

My guess is early to mid March for delivery. Maybe even the last week of February.

There's a great Google spreadsheet maintained by the community that has all this information.

You can add your own data point, and there's also a tab that calculates averages and estimates. For domestic delivery, the average is 3.81 days from production beginning to ending, and then 9.73 days for delivery. But, as with everything, your mileage may vary.
For what it's worth, I ordered on Dec. 19, and mine hasn't entered production yet. My official window is "late February-March," and my DS thinks it will probably be built this week and delivered the week of Feb. 27, maybe a hair sooner.

I ordered my P100DL 11/12/16 and it went into production Monday and finished production yesterday morning. It should be at the dealership within 2 weeks is what I was told. For all that wait, I am glad that it has finally been produced and that it will now be a 2017 Model.

I am in the same situation. MyTesla said "In Production" on Tuesday but no email until Thursday. From the other forum posts, your DS should be able to have a good idea of the delivery window. My DS is out of the office and it wouldn't speed things up to ask his co-worker so I'm waiting for him to get back on Monday.
But my real hangup right now is... with a typical build time of 4 - 7 days, does the clock start when MyTesla status changes or when I receive the email?

I am in the same situation. MyTesla said "In Production" on Tuesday but no email until Thursday. From the other forum posts, your DS should be able to have a good idea of the delivery window. My DS is out of the office and it wouldn't speed things up to ask his co-worker so I'm waiting for him to get back on Monday.
But my real hangup right now is... with a typical build time of 4 - 7 days, does the clock start when MyTesla status changes or when I receive the email?

I never received any emails from Tesla beyond the initial order confirmation. Everything I knew about where in the process the car was came from checking MyTesla. So, I would go more by what you see there.

Mine just changed to the same status as the OP. No email, and I'm almost positive yesterday (or even earlier today) it still said "Your Tesla order has been confirmed and scheduled for production in our factory." My 60D order was placed January 12, confirmed with VIN January 19.

My delivery estimate still says "March - Early April" which is what it has said all along. I follow along on the spreadsheet which would lead me to believe I probably had another week or so before production started. If the status just changed, I wonder how the re-tooling/M3 process will affect timing, assuming it starts Feb 20ish.

Also - has there been much discussion about cars produced before/after prior re-tooling efforts?

There appears to be inconsistency between the 3 information sources for order status - your DS, My Tesla and e-mail.

I asked my DS for a deliver projection, and was told April. A few days later, My Tesla changed to "in production". A more days - then I get the e-mail stating the car is in production. And 14 hours later, another e-mail comes stating the car is finished. And it took a couple of days before My Tesla showed the car was finished.

Similar pattern on delivery. Checked with the DS, and was told mid-March. The website showed late February-March. Then it was 2/21-3/7, and now it's 2/22-3/1. And when I checked with my DS, was told the car will be here early next week - which could put delivery at the beginning of all of these projected delivery windows.

The least reliable source has been the DS - so I urge patience, and doing what I've been doing - periodically checking for e-mail or the My Tesla page - and taking the information that is the most recent as being the most likely reality.

My DS and the My Tesla page told me from the beginning that my car would be delivered late December / early January. I ordered on October 7, 2016 and received delivery on December 20, 2016.

My car went into production a couple days before Thanksgiving according to My Tesla and my DS. It sat in production for 2 weeks (also both confirmed by My Tesla and my DS).

There definitely were inconsistencies of a few days here or there between the emails and what My Tesla was saying, and what my DS was telling me, but overall the timeline worked out exactly as they said it would in the beginning.

It seems to be hit or miss with which notification to look for but I think MyTesla is the best place to watch. For us MyTesla showed that our MS entered production 2 days before I received the “In Production” email. From there it was 6 days before I received the email that it was built. Later that same day, I received the “In Transit” email. Then I started to wonder if MyTesla was actually more accurate and I just wasn’t paying attention to the delivery date window. I checked and MyTesla was now showing Feb 28 - March 8 delivery. The next night my DS called to setup my delivery appointment. With Monday being a holiday and our Service Center is closed, we are scheduled for Feb 21 pickup.
Yesterday we went past the Service Center and saw our MS 60 was in the back waiting to be cleaned and prepped. There were 5 other MS and 1 MX also waiting to be prepped, and 1 MS being washed so our DS are busy right now.

Mine arrived two days ago.
WhatsApp Image 2017-02-18 at 1.57.42 PM (1).jpeg

I checked the My Tesla page today and found it saying that my car is now in production. No email has come. No worries.

Just as an aside, I can't believe it took me until 3:15 to check that page!

It took almost a month to go from order confirmation to going into production? Wow...I’ve got a long wait ahead of me. My order was confirmed only last Friday the 17th of February.

It took almost a month to go from order confirmation to going into production? Wow...I’ve got a long wait ahead of me. My order was confirmed only last Friday the 17th of February.

It's not too bad, really. It was only this weekend that I started to say "I want my car, man!" Lo, and behold. I now see "in production," and even a week earlier than my DS had informed me to expect.

To be fair, it's a very reasonable wait, especially considering that the car didn't exist when I ordered it. I've had longer waits on suits. :)

You might have a wait as they usually prioritize deliveries in the US from east coast to west coast as the end of the quarter approaches. If you don't get the car soon, you might not get it until the end of March.

I ordered my car on 10/7 and took delivery on 12/20. It went into production just before Thanksgiving.

Reactions: avesraggiana
You might have a wait as they usually prioritize deliveries in the US from east coast to west coast as the end of the quarter approaches. If you don't get the car soon, you might not get it until the end of March.

I ordered my car on 10/7 and took delivery on 12/20. It went into production just before Thanksgiving.

Ten weeks?!?! Oh, what agonies you must have suffered! May the Tesla Gods spare me.

It's not too bad, really. It was only this weekend that I started to say "I want my car, man!" Lo, and behold. I now see "in production," and even a week earlier than my DS had informed me to expect.

To be fair, it's a very reasonable wait, especially considering that the car didn't exist when I ordered it. I've had longer waits on suits. :)
Did you get an email saying "car is in production" or just a change in the My Tesla page? For me the status on My Tesla page changed to car in production but I have not received any email yet. I asked my DS about it and she said that your car is in production when you get the email.

@AJCH , I only saw a change on the My Tesla page. I did ask my DS, and he confirmed that the car is in production. I wonder about that, though, since isn't this the week that the factory is supposed to be shut down for the retooling?

In any case, there was no change in the delivery window. The car will be done when it's done, and there's not a thing in the world I can do about it. It's not like I'm planning my life around it.